Freesync - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Freesync

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 28)
Freesync

Does Freesync only prevent tearing, or does it add something else? Does a Freesync monitor at 60Hz basically behave the same with and without Freesync enabled then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:19 PM
GPU Enthusiast

Rep: 191 (Unique: 143)
The perceived frame-rate will be smoother on a 60hz Freesync Panel on vs off. This will all depend largely on the variable refresh rate (VRR) range of whichever monitor you're referencing has.

Say it's a 60hz panel with a VRR range of 40-60hz (typical of many cheap panels or some of the more basic 4k panels). What Freesync, Gsync, or any Async based panel tech will do is match the monitors refresh rate to the FPS you're running your game at. As long as your FPS is within the range of your panels VRR range, in this case 40-60, you'll see smooth gameplay and shouldn't notice any hitching or stutter due to FPS changes.

Now if you disabled freesync, gsync, or async, and enabled vsync, there wouldn't be any tearing but you may notice a lot of stutter, hitching, or the gameplay may seem choppy to you at sub 40-50 FPS; afaik with vsync you'll also be introducing latency.

One other important thing when it comes to freesync is making sure that you can either run all of your games at FPS within the monitors VRR range, or you find a panel that supports LFC. LFC will double the refresh rate of the FPS once you drop below the minimum VRR range. In this case say you had a monitor with a VRR range of 30-90hz. If you drop below 30 fps in game, say to 23fps, the monitor will now run double the refresh rate while freesync is active -> 46hz. While LFC isn't perfect it will still make gameplay sub 40 fps much smoother.

I hope that helps, I'm too tired to explain any better at this point . I'm sure someone else can provide a much more in depth description of certain aspects.

Steins Gate
(16 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Radeon 7
RAM
2x8GB DDR4 3600 c17 @ 4300 c19 2T
Hard Drive
960 Evo
Hard Drive
850 Evo
Power Supply
EVGA 750w G2
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct
Case
Fractal Design S2
Monitor
Acer ed323qur
Keyboard
CM MK Pro S
Mouse
G703
Mousepad
Logitech Powerplay
Audio
Polk tsi 100
Audio
HD518
Audio
Topping MX3
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

@rv8000 :

Thanks, that's good info. I got a Dell U2719Q, but debating with myself whether the LG 32UD99-W would be a better choice, due to identical specs. The LG has Freesync.

Now the games I tested (Doom, etc) ran smooth and no noticeable tearing occurred. I'd say that the slight blur/ghosting when turning around is the more unpleasant side effect. How does Freesync on a 60Hz panel affect that? So far the RTX 2080 is holding up, although I'm aware that Doom is an incredibly optimized game (even Vsync doesn't give me stutter, that's a first), but other games ran well aswell at full native resolution and highest settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:47 AM
GPU Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by resis View Post
@rv8000 :

Thanks, that's good info. I got a Dell U2719Q, but debating with myself whether the LG 32UD99-W would be a better choice, due to identical specs. The LG has Freesync.

Now the games I tested (Doom, etc) ran smooth and no noticeable tearing occurred. I'd say that the slight blur/ghosting when turning around is the more unpleasant side effect. How does Freesync on a 60Hz panel affect that? So far the RTX 2080 is holding up, although I'm aware that Doom is an incredibly optimized game (even Vsync doesn't give me stutter, that's a first), but other games ran well aswell at full native resolution and highest settings.
Blurring and or ghosting will be different from monitor to monitor. A trend I've noticed is that with most Freesync monitors, overdrive will be disabled once freesync is enabled which can potentially cause more blur/ghosting (again this is not always true, just a trend I've seen with the 5-6 panels I've owned). In terms of response times and blur/ghosting, afaik it goes TN > IPS > VA in general (not always the absolute rule), so basically a fast IPS panel will provide the best response times and color reproduction overall.

Due to the lack of 4k panels/GPUs that support HDMI 2.1 or DP1.4, most are limited to 60hz. There also aren't many in depth reviews so overshoot/ghosting/blurring is really hard to judge without buying the panel yourself and testing. The LG32UD99-W seems to have some pretty good reviews, and with Nvidia's latest updates for Async support, the VRR range works very well under the extreme setting (40-60hz).

It's really tough to offer you any better information as TFTcentral didnt cover that specific monitor, or really any 4k Freesync panels at all (they have the best measurements and reviews for all specs of the monitors). The experience is likely to be superior on the LG but, we're on the verge of transitioning to DP2.0 and HDMI 2.1 in the next few months so it may be better to wait.

Steins Gate
(16 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Radeon 7
RAM
Hard Drive
960 Evo
Hard Drive
850 Evo
Power Supply
EVGA 750w G2
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design S2
Monitor
Acer ed323qur
Keyboard
CM MK Pro S
Mouse
G703
Mousepad
Logitech Powerplay
Audio
Polk tsi 100
Audio
HD518
Audio
Topping MX3
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:37 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 337 (Unique: 240)
Does Freesync only prevent tearing, or does it add something else? Does a Freesync monitor at 60Hz basically behave the same with and without Freesync enabled then?
What?

Example: 75Hz max refresh monitor running at 60Hz in Async mode while in it's 48-75hz Async range will update it's image 60 times a second at the moment a new frame arrives. = no tearing, no stutter.
Example: 60Hz max refresh monitor running at 60Hz Vsynced with input capable to deliver 60fps minimum will have 1/60s lag due to Vsync and because input always varies and never stays perfectly you will get dips below max refresh and that will cause stutter. Vsync should never be used, EVER. It has more issues it creates than it solves.

It will not be the same.

There are two options:
No sync with no fps limiter or fps limiter set to a value that causes most random tearing making it hard to notice.
Async with fps limiter to stay in Async range.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I decided to look into the LG. The 27" Dell worked well and I overclocked it to 74Hz, but the 32" Dell does not overclock and tearing is much more present. 4k is of course more demanding.

Quote: Originally Posted by rv8000 View Post
Due to the lack of 4k panels/GPUs that support HDMI 2.1 or DP1.4, most are limited to 60hz. There also aren't many in depth reviews so overshoot/ghosting/blurring is really hard to judge without buying the panel yourself and testing. The LG32UD99-W seems to have some pretty good reviews, and with Nvidia's latest updates for Async support, the VRR range works very well under the extreme setting (40-60hz).

I hoped to overclock the LG, but with DP1.2 as limit (max 60Hz with 4k) I guess this wont be an option. Shame.

It's really tough to offer you any better information as TFTcentral didnt cover that specific monitor, or really any 4k Freesync panels at all (they have the best measurements and reviews for all specs of the monitors). The experience is likely to be superior on the LG but, we're on the verge of transitioning to DP2.0 and HDMI 2.1 in the next few months so it may be better to wait.

Any specific outlooks? I think even if something comes up the next months, they will come at premium prices. The Dell/LG 32" are discounted, but still very expensive, so I'm not really counting on new shiny things.

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
What?
Vsync should never be used, EVER. It has more issues it creates than it solves.

Vsync was always a mystery to me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:04 PM
GPU Enthusiast

I decided to look into the LG. The 27" Dell worked well and I overclocked it to 74Hz, but the 32" Dell does not overclock and tearing is much more present. 4k is of course more demanding.

I hoped to overclock the LG, but with DP1.2 as limit (max 60Hz with 4k) I guess this wont be an option. Shame.

Any specific outlooks? I think even if something comes up the next months, they will come at premium prices. The Dell/LG 32" are discounted, but still very expensive, so I'm not really counting on new shiny things.
That I know of, no. And even if there were more than one or two new 144hz 4k panels, they're going to be astronomically expensive for another year or two unfortunately.

Steins Gate
(16 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Radeon 7
RAM
Hard Drive
960 Evo
Hard Drive
850 Evo
Power Supply
EVGA 750w G2
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design S2
Monitor
Acer ed323qur
Keyboard
CM MK Pro S
Mouse
G703
Mousepad
Logitech Powerplay
Audio
Polk tsi 100
Audio
HD518
Audio
Topping MX3
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

That I know of, no. And even if there were more than one or two new 144hz 4k panels, they're going to be astronomically expensive for another year or two unfortunately.

Indeed. Only option is to look at the best/most suitable currently discounted options. Not exceeding 800,- the LG seems to be the best available option if you want a gaming suitable 4k 32" monitor that doesn't suck at colour and picture representation/accuracy.
The Dell 32" is pretty great for all my needs, but at 4k I realized I need some sort of compensation for gaming and the LG uses the same panel. Reviews say both monitors are nearly identical in most cases, the only real difference is Freesync.

Will see how well Freesync works.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:57 AM
GPU Enthusiast

Indeed. Only option is to look at the best/most suitable currently discounted options. Not exceeding 800,- the LG seems to be the best available option if you want a gaming suitable 4k 32" monitor that doesn't suck at colour and picture representation/accuracy.
The Dell 32" is pretty great for all my needs, but at 4k I realized I need some sort of compensation for gaming and the LG uses the same panel. Reviews say both monitors are nearly identical in most cases, the only real difference is Freesync.

Will see how well Freesync works.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Steins Gate
(16 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Radeon 7
RAM
Hard Drive
960 Evo
Hard Drive
850 Evo
Power Supply
EVGA 750w G2
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design S2
Monitor
Acer ed323qur
Keyboard
CM MK Pro S
Mouse
G703
Mousepad
Logitech Powerplay
Audio
Polk tsi 100
Audio
HD518
Audio
Topping MX3
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:35 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 337 (Unique: 240)
Both are pricey, Dell may have better factory calibration but has no Async which I would say is a big no no nowadays but Dell doesn't care and sells office oriented monitors with no Async. (lower manufacturing costs)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in