Acer nitro XV2 XV272UP optimal settings - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Acer nitro XV2 XV272UP optimal settings

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 17)
Acer nitro XV2 XV272UP optimal settings

Hey,

Long time I haven't posted here.

Just bought the 27" 1440p 144hz freesync Innolux-based XV272UP from Caseking as I could get it for a decent price (<400€ new). I pulled the trigger despite the mixed reviews and the lottery factor, I'll see how it goes. Coming from a BenQ XL2411 (24" TN 144hz) that I've been using for the past 5 years, hopefully this will still be a nice upgrade. I intend to keep the XL2411 as a secondary monitor.

I pretty much know nothing about monitors thus am looking for some advice:
- should I use DP or HDMI (currently using DVI for my XL2411 lol) ?
- what are the optimal settings (general work use + competitive gaming, namely CS:GO) ?

Thanks a lot !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 337 (Unique: 240)
DP, DP 1.2 cable is fine and the 1.4 cables are either expensive or nothing more than renamed 1.2 or even HDMI cables/wires with DP connectors so beware there is a lot of snake oil in cables and they don't really seem to do any bandwidth testing before leaving factory.
Would not go over 3m length.

Try and get it neutral sharp if you even can, I think now with this monitor, you can check on lagom.nl sharpness.

You can also check gamma at different color levels there so you set it to gamma 2.2. Check that blacks nor whites are being clipped and adjust contrast or even color levels and gamma accordingly.

Response times you can check on testufo and other, in games, and see which overdrive setting works best without causing artifacts.
Download pendulum demo from NV and check for adaptive sync working.

The rest... check for defects, pixels, dust, yellowing and excessive BLB or glow.

If you want 6500K color temperature you either need a trained eye or some kind of color temperature measurement device. Plus once you start reducing color channels you will start losing contrast, if you increase them over default you will start clipping those colors.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the detailed answer, much appreciated.

Let's say I'm a lazy person, could I just use the recommended settings provided here: https://4k-monitor.ru/reviews/obzor_...272upbmiiprzx/

Namely (translated):
"To obtain a brightness of 100 nits, a white dot color temperature of 6500K, and other improvements, the following values ​​were used:
e-Color - Standard;
Brightness - 6;
Contrast - 50;
Black Boost - 5;
Color Temp - User - Gain - 45 | 46 | 45;
Gamma - 2.2;
Blue Light - Off;
ACM - Off;
Super Sharpness - Off;
Over Drive - Normal."

Or are panels too inconsistent from one another (within the same product SKU)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Overclocker

Not really, the color calibration varies wildly between units and even same batch panel will have slight differences. The variance between units of same monitor can be gigantic, due to panel quality and due to how they calibrated each at factory.
Everything but the individual colors is easy to set. You can get 6500K white if you have some kind of measuring device such as one of Sony cameras (that's what I use even though to me it's easy to see when a monitor is under and over 6500K). To get full color accuracy to some standard you would need a color calibration device and use ICC software profiles which is not really 100% working for games and this monitor does not support hardware profile changes by customer.

I don't know what e-color is.
Everything else beside color temp user settings you can probably use if contrast 50 is default. Black boost I would also often leave at default as changing any of these: contrast, gamma, black boost often leads to issues on monitors (banding, color tints on certain shades, etc.), so if you can leave these at default.

Those color settings and ICC profiles from reviews or users are 99% useless as you would need to have their monitor for them to work right.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Understood, thanks again.

From what I understand in this review, he pretty much left everything at factory settings for the "optimal" settings except the color temps - for which you need proper calibration tools according to your message above.
Guess I'll play around with color temp settings and see what suits me (with untrained eyes and no tools) when I get my hands on the monitor.

Will post a more general update of my thoughts as well.

Cheers

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Reverting on that topic, I'm honestly super happy with the monitor.

I've seen a lot of complaints about this monitor - but also more generally about all existing 144hz+ 1440p IPS based monitors and it was quite exhausting to spend hours browsing reddit, review websites etc.. at the end I'd say it's 100% worth the €400 I paid for it.
BTW I came across this website which turned out to be the best resource I found IMHO: http://bestmonitorsbyncx.createaforum.com/index.php

Keeping in mind I'm not an expert and coming from a XL2411 (144hz 1080p TN), colors are way better but it generally does feel a bit slower especially in fast-pace FPS (I'd say it's a mix of lower response time/increased motion blur). It's not really a problem though (at least for me) as I can definitely see/feel it vs. the XL2411, but I'm still doing fine on CS:GO (and I'm playing quite competitively in Global Elite / Supreme) and I can totally live with that.

In a nutshell for a monitor noob such as myself, I'd say:
- for hardcore gaming, it's good.
- for office work and casual gaming, it's very good.

OSD is straightforward and everything is easy to set up, though all options but colors were seemed optimal out of the box (I only switched from warm to neutral).
General quality feels OK/good for the price apart from a very slight gap on the top right between the panel and the bezel. That doesn't bother me.
No dead pixel or dust.
No excessive glow or BLB - at least to my untrained eyes.

Surprisingly the monitor only ships with a HDMI cable. Is there any reason I would need to replace it with a displayport cable ?
Which raises my next question: let's say this monitor would support freesync over an nvidia gpu, that would only work over displayport right ?

Last edited by bobsaget; 07-15-2019 at 03:58 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:03 PM
Overclocker

Yes the NCX is one of reviews places that you can find, smaller one.

Yes you should use display port cable and on NV adaptive sync is only on display port.
The rest is lottery and how sensitive you are to some issues.
I don't think I've had a monitor that only arrived with HDMI cable and no DP cable, this can be regional as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in