EVE SPECTRUM - Crowd Sourced Attempt At Perfect Non-HDR 1440p/144Hz Monitor - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

EVE SPECTRUM - Crowd Sourced Attempt At Perfect Non-HDR 1440p/144Hz Monitor

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
EVE SPECTRUM - Crowd Sourced Attempt At Perfect Non-HDR 1440p/144Hz Monitor

Thought the people in the monitor forum would be interested in this monitor. The community votes on features/specs they want included. It's a Freesync panel that uses the same panel as the LG 27GL850 1 ms nano IPS but with (claimed) variable overdrive and Gsync Certification and may have an option for BLB/GLOW and dead/stuck pixel free panels or buying without a stand to save money.

https://eve.community/c/development/monitor-development

Thought I'd update with some features:

They're currently in talks with LG trying to get a A-TW polarizer.

Could be glossy (if they get enough votes)

Non-gamer design (looks more like an Apple monitor in pic below)

Possible open source firmware option

Contrast ratio at least 1000:1 unlike LGs 700:1 to 1000:1 range. They've gotten samples as high as 1300:1

Includes USB C with sufficient wattage to charge a laptop

No sharpness issues

In depth OSD with proper gamma/calibration options.

Possible hardware calibration

Pixel-perfect integer-ratio upscaling

UPDATE:

8 dimming zones that can be turned off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	277792  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	277796  

Last edited by gypsygib; 07-07-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
If they offer a BLB/GLOW free monitors then everything else that's not guaranteed to be that way will get the "scraps" with defects, as in everyone will either buy the expensive defect free model or walk away.

A-TW polarizer Yes please. Finally someone may make a monitor with one again that isn't an unobtainable monitor for normal people.

They should offer high refresh rate though that's not limited by what ever electronics they decide to buy, so far it seems they buy some regular 165Hz OC max not 165Hz native even. A shame. They probably need this electronic board to insert all their OSD and such and offer scaling which honestly most people don't give a damn about as will use 99.999% of the time native resolution anyway and if scaling is needed it can easily be done on GPU and fast. The OSD can also be replaced with other solutions to overcome this limit of electronic board limiting refresh rate. But for overdrive under adaptive sync ... they may need it if the other board controlling the panel can't deal with that.

Last edited by JackCY; 07-04-2019 at 11:54 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
If they offer a BLB/GLOW free monitors then everything else that's not guaranteed to be that way will get the "scraps" with defects, as in everyone will either buy the expensive defect free model or walk away.
100% agree, I've been wishing I had the option to pay more for a pixel perfect, glow/bleed monitor for a while. Not sure who would buy the "b-stock". I don't think any version should ship with known pixel defects but some people aren't that bothered by glow. They may never even see it if they use the monitor mostly in decent lighting.

This kind of breaks down the pricing consequences of QC'ing 'perfect monitors' (although you seem pretty knowledgeable and may already be aware) I'd happily pay the extra $100 or so to scrap all non-perfect monitors.

https://eve.community/t/our-take-on-...evitable/17894

I think it's obvious most monitor makers ship 95% of monitors and don't care that at least half of their customers are getting an inferior product.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:29 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Yes I read one of their posts where they have that example with numbers.
Large corporations, think Asus, Acer, LG, Samsung, ... sell 95% of all panels they get very likely yet their price is premium for many models.
The "smaller" companies, I guess Viotek/Pixio/Nixeus could if they wanted to discard/resell higher number of panels if they buy them or pay more to manufacturer to only get higher QC level passed panels. But as far as I know they quickly realize how expensive it is for them to do this and that they can't charge a premium either to be able to get to the market, which so far they really don't anyway and stay fairly local to one country.

I have no problem paying more for a high QC panel/monitor as long as that higher QC is realistic and not fictional = marketing only.
Big corps. also tend to sell expensive models which they don't say are better QC panels but from my experience the lottery is a little better with them than their even half the price same panel same specs monitors. Acer XB vs XF, etc. But a large part there in price is the cost of expensive Gsync module...

$400+ is a lot for a monitor and I'm certainly not alone and would rather pay a little more to get defect free product than have to roll the dice 10 times and fail every time. Been there, done that.

It looks promising, though I doubt the price will be low enough for me to consider downgrading in size to 27" and deal with scaling issues of that PPI. Still it could be if delivered as promised a very good monitor that we have not seen in some time.
I think they should have gone with a scaler (at least they call it that), if they need one, that would deliver the bandwidth and processing power necessary to get to 200Hz+.

They don't need to go all out and use that unicorn 8k $3k panel that no one else has brought to market, but getting that ATW/antiglow polarizer, fairly unlimited refresh rate and strobing during Async are nice features to have and would give them edge over competition even if the price would be up there with big brands. At least one would actually get something worth the money.

I've already added it to my list in other thread. No idea why I'm keeping it up, guess it's a hard habbit to break after so long looking for a nice 144Hz+ monitor and not finding any.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
Sounds too good to be true... won't happen with guaranteed BLB free units, and EU distribution will be too limited probably anyways like with Nixeus.

A-TW polarizer would probably add some color uniformity issues which drives the costs up too much

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 520 (Unique: 359)
Seems kinda pointless to me with the ASUS VG27AQ coming out. IPS 1440p with VRR+backlight strobing is going to change the game.

GPU: TITAN RTX - 2175 MHz, liquid cooled
CPU: 9900K 5.4 GHz, liquid cooled
MB: ASUS Maximus XI Gene
RAM: G.Skill 16GB 4600 MHz
SSD: Intel Optane 905P - 960GB
DISPLAY: LG C9 55" OLED
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post
Seems kinda pointless to me with the ASUS VG27AQ coming out. IPS 1440p with VRR+backlight strobing is going to change the game.
Working A-TW polarizer and guaranteed no BLB would change the game more for me, than VRR+strobe with glow and blb. It would make dark games such as Black Mesa and others actually worth playing.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post
VRR + backlight strobing can unoficially work on some currently available monitors.I have one which is capable,however I am not using that feature anyway.And you dont have idea how good ASUS implementaton will be.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 520 (Unique: 359)
Quote: Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
Working A-TW polarizer and guaranteed no BLB would change the game more for me, than VRR+strobe with glow and blb. It would make dark games such as Black Mesa and others actually worth playing.
If I were playing a lot of dark games, I'd never consider an IPS. That's just me though.

Quote: Originally Posted by karel88l View Post
VRR + backlight strobing can unoficially work on some currently available monitors.I have one which is capable,however I am not using that feature anyway.And you dont have idea how good ASUS implementaton will be.
I've tried that trick a few times with unsatisfactory results. Too much black flickering. I don't really consider it a practical tweak and I'm not sure that anyone runs that all the time.

GPU: TITAN RTX - 2175 MHz, liquid cooled
CPU: 9900K 5.4 GHz, liquid cooled
MB: ASUS Maximus XI Gene
RAM: G.Skill 16GB 4600 MHz
SSD: Intel Optane 905P - 960GB
DISPLAY: LG C9 55" OLED
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 90 (Unique: 57)
Which monitors have an ATW polarizer anyways?

I'm sure the X27 (and PG27U) has some kind of special polarizer since contrast gets worse but it doesn't visibly glow like the U2718Q IPS panel I have next to it, even with FALD off.

It will be interesting to see how far they can push with features without bloating the unit price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in