Insight in adapters - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Insight in adapters

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Insight in adapters

I have one of the original Catleaps and as the original thread seems to not be getting any traction I'll make a new thread about it just in case anyone might have tried this "combination".
I 'll probably be upgrading my PC since god knows when and apparently it had to be done at the more or less the time of the DVI being eclipsed. I've seen from the original thread of people in the past trying to convert the catleaps into DP but it looks a bit like a messy procedure.
I am aware that the adapters that are pretty much guarranteed to work are the ones that are in the 3 digit value (and needing to be active etc).
However has anyone tried this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Active-Mi...YAAOSwZRVcSGur

I would suppose a (GPU) -> DP to DPmini cable -> adaptor -> DVI cable -> (Monitor) to theoretically work, and I think I saw someone mentioning something like this but obviously this monitors and some GPUs are temperamental so I was wondering if anymore people tried to do so. That adaptor is like half the price so obviously if it would work then no point in spending twice as much for no real benefit.

Also I saw listed this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-Disp...oAAOSwTJVajqCJ
It lists that: "Output: DVI-D up to 4k x 2k @ 30Hz"
However it is like 10pounds, and doesn't have a USB cable for power so it shouldn't work right?

And as to avoid making any new threads in case I just change the monitor itself, does anyone know a few or have a list of similar monitors with an AR or the lightest coating possible? (I know also glossy have eclipsed but google isn't helping much to find alternatives)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:30 AM
Meep

Rep: 299 (Unique: 220)
Assuming that Catleap is the same high refresh capable Dual-DVI monitor as my old Qnix, you're out of luck, they pretty much don't work with adapters iirc.

Part of why I sold mine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
Assuming that Catleap is the same high refresh capable Dual-DVI monitor as my old Qnix, you're out of luck, they pretty much don't work with adapters iirc.

Part of why I sold mine.
https://www.startech.com/uk/AV/displ...#ratings_inset

There is a specific type of adapter like this one that for sure works however they are damn pricey. I was wondering however if anyone else got the other type to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:37 AM
Meep

Rep: 299 (Unique: 220)
Quote: Originally Posted by Anthos View Post
https://www.startech.com/uk/AV/displ...#ratings_inset

There is a specific type of adapter like this one that for sure works however they are damn pricey. I was wondering however if anyone else got the other type to work.
Yes that one and a bunch of others work at 60Hz, but I haven't found a single one that supports higher refresh rates (96-120hz), which is the entire point of these QNIX/Catleap monitors.

even if OP is okay with running at 60hz, I still wouldn't recommend it. It makes more sense to sell the catleap and get a new 1440p monitor with DP build in, they've gotten really affordable.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
Yes that one and a bunch of others work at 60Hz, but I haven't found a single one that supports higher refresh rates (96-120hz), which is the entire point of these QNIX/Catleap monitors.

even if OP is okay with running at 60hz, I still wouldn't recommend it. It makes more sense to sell the catleap and get a new 1440p monitor with DP build in, they've gotten really affordable.
Well originally the point of the Catleap was just the IPS 1440P which cost a fraction of the standard Apple Cinema Display, just incidentally some early batches could overclock. I have one of the latter ones so already anything other than 60hz is irrelevant fortunately/unfortunately. However the monitor is still hanging quite well, is glossy (no more of those around here) so if I have to couple it with a 50 or 150 pound adapter it does make some difference on how going forward (hence my pre-emptive question about the lightest matte monitors around).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in