Anyone tried overclocking the Aorus AD27QD or the LG 27GL850 to 165hz? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Anyone tried overclocking the Aorus AD27QD or the LG 27GL850 to 165hz?

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Anyone tried overclocking the Aorus AD27QD or the LG 27GL850 to 165hz?

Isn't it possible with CRU? Also i believe the LG will display an non removable "out of range" message if you do overclock it which sucks unless someone makes custom firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

none?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
99% of monitors using DP or HDMI have refresh rate limit hardcoded in the firmware somewhere as the electronics are also only made to be suitable for that. While they may work all or some with slightly higher refresh it's locked out in the firmware. So you can OC anything but you will get out of range message. With the old DVI Korean monitors there was no check like this, only the DP variants again had it.

Feel free to mess with the firmware of a new 500+ USD/EUR monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
99% of monitors using DP or HDMI have refresh rate limit hardcoded in the firmware somewhere as the electronics are also only made to be suitable for that. While they may work all or some with slightly higher refresh it's locked out in the firmware. So you can OC anything but you will get out of range message. With the old DVI Korean monitors there was no check like this, only the DP variants again had it.

Feel free to mess with the firmware of a new 500+ USD/EUR monitor.

Well that sucks. On laptop panels there isn't such an issue. I am usually limited by the interface bandwidth rather than the panel. Assuming an official bin and flasher is available it shouldn't be too hard to modify it even though i don't have experience. Anyone knows if you can connect a flasher directly to the tcon? I guess there should be an ISP header on board or something. This way it is possible to recover assuming no protection exists.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:03 PM
Overclocker

There may or may not be such connections. Know what you mean but never played with these firmware flashers for complex hardware. Old laptops were DVI, newer ones are probably eDP and of course tend to be simplified, don't have OSD likely etc. so there may be no firmware/software locks to try and overclock it with CRU (custom resolution).
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes that is correct, 99% CRU works just fine. It is a shame that desktop monitors come softlocked like this. Example Gigabyte is releasing the aorus fi27q soon which is the exact same panel as the aorus ad27qd with 165hz support. This means the panel supports it just fine, there might be possible tcon limitation but with all the shady practices i see from pc hardware companies the last 10 years it might be as well the exact same.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:43 PM
Overclocker

Yes there is often nothing more to it in my opinion than having a chip with firmware that isn't locked and bloated with useless rubbish. You won't be able to OC endlessly, but all the common boards/chips they use to drive the panels can do 165Hz or close to it if some of these ever couldn't. For 1080p they cap it at 180Hz for similar "OC" monitor variants. Some monitors are not 165Hz but 155Hz max only, why? Because that's the max a displayport is officially supporting, so they chicken out and offer only that much to avoid customer dissatisfaction or product damage (really? yeah I bet they think that way), and in process alienate the "minority" enthusiast community/users.

DP 1.2a: 17.28 Gbit/s

1440p 144Hz 8bit 15.93 Gbps
1440p 155Hz 8bit 17.14 Gbps
1440p 165Hz 8bit 18.25 Gbps

I use this one with DP1.2:
1440p 76.1Hz 10bit 10.10 Gbps

Which is a real shame that it's locked.

Sometimes people swapped electronics to unlocked ones, but again that was more for the Korean monitors etc. I don't know of any 1440p unlocked with DP 1.2 or better.
There is only that old expensive research like DIY 28" 4k 120Hz with 1080p 480Hz mode that has electronics you can buy and DIY with. So you can get the electronics but they are not cheap, and cannibalize some monitor, even then though it's probably a lot of DIY and research that the boards will work with each other etc. custom firmware you get or make, ... no OSD on those as far as I remember.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes i am aware of that kit, but is too much trouble for my free time at the moment. Easiest would be to mod the factory firmware since limits are usually artificial. The whole point is to get the firmware first, and assuming the controller is not proprietary should not be difficult to reverse engineer (even better if a datasheet is available). Problems is that all these monitors are made in Asia so it is rare that we have an inside contact that could share/leak so of the tools/documents.

Btw these 1440p monitors are DP 1.4 so 25.92 Gbit/s limit so well over 165hz 10bit required bandwidth.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Overclocker

As far as I remember the older 1440p144 IPS 27" were DP1.2, such as PG279Q, XF270HUA, ...
These latest ones, I didn't have, it's possible they have finally upgraded the electronics since they also added HDR support and 10bit = 8bit+FRC.
TFTC states 27GL850 is DP1.4 but AD27QD is DP1.2a.

The latest I had 32GK850G is also DP1.2 and only HDMI1.4 because Gsync nerf. The HG70 Samsung were DP1.4.

It's not universal that all have DP1.4. Some do, some don't.

---

Laptop display, no luck over here, any refresh looks same as default 60, whether I raise it or lower, I can set the resolution+refresh fine, no errors, screen blinks as it changes but it's running the same old refresh in reality.
At least this OS works fairly OK, Win10 install crashes during it's loading with some major BSOD error that points nowhere, some major thing goes bust every single time I tried, too old laptop for Win10 to even load it's installer properly, probably doesn't know what to do with that mobile Nvidia GPU that even Nvidia only supports "on paper" more than in reality, I don't remember them ever in a decade of it's existence (and almost use too) releasing a bug free driver for it.

Just had to try
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4754_2000.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	924.9 KB
ID:	296622  

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes indeed not all have DP1.4, i was referring more to the LG 27GL850 because it has it due to 10bit 144hz support that's why technically it should be overclock-able. But that doesn't matter because you can drop to 6-bit if you wanted to, so you can gain a higher refresh rate. And for competitive gaming it's not bad. I had this happen with an ips laptop monitor running on eDP.

It seems to be controlled by the graphics driver since that laptop had intel integrated graphics along nvidia discrete running the internal display, but because it physically can't handle more bandwidth it automatically drops the colour depth. I posted to Intel forums but never got a certain answer because intel sucks.

As for linux display overclocking i have never tried it. But you will need a tool like CRU to do fine tuning. 228.31Mhz is the highest pixel clock i can achieve on LVDS 2-ch, and that is over spec by like 1%.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in