Switching to HDR Mode, Windows 10 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Switching to HDR Mode, Windows 10

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
Switching to HDR Mode, Windows 10

Hi all,

First day with my LG Ultrawide monitor with HDR10. Just wondering if there is an easy way to switch to HDR mode for games? I find that the colours are way too washed out for normal Windows 10 usage, so I don't keep HDR on all the time, but for gaming it's nice. Depending on the game I usually have to right click desktop -> Display Settings -> and check Play HDR games and apps. But it's rather tediuos, just wondering if there is a trick that I'm not aware of? Or if you've managed to get HDR working 24/7 within Windows 10 so that it doesn't mess up normal day to day usage?

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:57 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Applications/games should enable HDR mode when they need it and disable it when they exit or don't need it anymore. The toggle in Windows is so that you can use Windows on an HDR display that has very wide gamut and brightness, such displays are a rarity hence on these monitors that are SDR but accept HDR input Windows with HDR mode enabled will look washed out.

All you need to do is enable HDR in an application/game that you use if it supports it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 04:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
All you need to do is enable HDR in an application/game that you use if it supports it.
There are plenty of games with HDR support that won't switch to it. You need to manually enable HDR in Windows and only then HDR works in these games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:24 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 275 (Unique: 219)
Are you using 1903?

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:23 AM
Overclocker

Quote: Originally Posted by Babryn25 View Post
There are plenty of games with HDR support that won't switch to it. You need to manually enable HDR in Windows and only then HDR works in these games.
Then complain to the developer. Or switch TV/monitor in it's OSD to HDR mode if the application isn't signaling it to switch.
Switching it in Windows itself should be a last resort and you have to do this likely manually every single time unless you figure out a shortcut/script to do it for you. If that's nowhere exposed either then you're left with automating it with AHK.

1803 is prehistoric at this point. 1809 was last and even my machine that barely updates has finally moved to 1903.

I'm not aware of there being some fundamental change to HDR mode though in some recent version. They messed with the WDDM though.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ers--wddm-2-0-

Last edited by JackCY; 09-20-2019 at 08:34 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 275 (Unique: 219)
1903 fixs a lot of HDR issues. It's not completely fixed. But it is much more usable. I keep it on all the time with 1903. Which i couldn't do that with 1803 or 1809. However I would turn it off if i was editing photos. But depending on your display it might still be unusable. But I would consider upgrading to 1903 if you can. Or test it out in a VM anyway.

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ozlay; 09-20-2019 at 05:16 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Then complain to the developer. Or switch TV/monitor in it's OSD to HDR mode if the application isn't signaling it to switch.
Switching it in Windows itself should be a last resort and you have to do this likely manually every single time unless you figure out a shortcut/script to do it for you. If that's nowhere exposed either then you're left with automating it with AHK.
You were not aware that there are games that don't switch to HDR automatically and your suggestion is to go complain to developer? Such posts don't help anyone.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Overclocker

It's a fault of the app that it's not switching to and signaling HDR output. I know there are such crappy games nowadays. There are also plenty games that use fake HDR, they merely take their SDR rendering and shove it down an HDR into the monitor. HDR vs developers... work time = money, + lazy. It's not up on many developer's list to get the HDR right.

Are you sure the games that don't switch automatically are even rendering in HDR at all and are not a simple SDR render shoved into HDR? Expensive movies do that too BTW, along with "4k" being nothing but upscaled 1080p. Getting a proper HDR and real 2160p in games and movies is a lot of looking around as there are not that many.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Are you sure the games that don't switch automatically are even rendering in HDR at all and are not a simple SDR render shoved into HDR?
Yes. Gears 5, Metro Exodus, Borderlands 3... An option to enable HDR only appears when HDR is enabled in Windows. Most annoying part, if you forget to enable HDR in Windows, it will switch back to SDR and that option goes away.

Tags
Hdr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in