Overclock.net banner

most important things we should look for in a display?

898 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  JackCY 
#1 · (Edited)
what are the most important things we should look for in a display?

---

from what i understand so far, here are some of the filters i've been able to come to:

compact size: 

- a relatively small size so it could be packed into a luggage

- anywhere from '27 to '24 or above '21

ideal ratio:

- ideal ratio would defintley be 1:1

- but i think there's almost none of this

i dont know anything else and i cant think of anythign else

---

main use of display is 

- learning

- reading ****

- youtube (learning)

---

ideal display would be able to change size + ratio

- but for the thigns i know i care about, 

- none of it exist yet it seems, dunno

height adjustable stand is also important but i think either one of these:

1. 99% of displays do have height adjustable  stands

2. or that there's 0 good commerical sites/shop that actually listed the details of if it has height adjustable  or not

im pretty sure (80% confidence level) taht #2 is the case tho

See less See more
#2 ·
you think the ideal ratio is 1:1? :eek:

we moved away from 4:3/5:4 to 16:10/16:9 and we eventually dropped 16:10 in favor of 21:9. our eyes are side by side, not stacked vertical. it makes no sense to use a 1:1 monitor unless you're a cyclops.

VESA mounts make the stand irrelevant for most people, so if it's VESA mount then the stand doesn't matter.

You didn't mention any of the actual reasons someone decides on a monitor other than size.

Panel type? Refresh rate? Resolution?

#3 ·
  • Rep+
Reactions: The Pook
#7 ·
I still miss 4x3

#12 ·
Get a laptop or buy something cheap coz if you drag it around you're gonna break it eventually. Such as one of those Samsung PLS S350F or what's the number, the most sold monitor in recent years, 24" 1080p IPS.
If you want something professional it will cost you an arm and leg, there do exist portable preview monitors.

#14 ·
OP should probably look at some Monitor buying guides as a start. Since YT was mentioned then the monitor should be widescreen at least.

I'd say stands are important as well. VESA is a standard but why buy another mount when the adjustment should come with the monitor. If OP didn't even mention TN or IPS/etc then I'g guess they'd be less picky about the color gamut, screen type, refresh rate, etc than functional features like tilt and height adjustment.

#15 ·
since what im ideally looking for doesnt exist really,

i've been able to come up with a a new requirement (the only main requirement):

highest total pixel within the display size limits/restricctions mentioned in op

how to find? any good sites taht has very very very very SUPER good filters?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.