LG UltraGear 27GN750 IPS 240Hz - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

LG UltraGear 27GN750 IPS 240Hz

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wingman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,588
Rep: 62 (Unique: 45)
LG UltraGear 27GN750 IPS 240Hz

How does the LG UltraGear 27GN750 IPS 240Hz 1920X1080p compare with Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor - AW2720HF IPS 240Hz 1920x1080p?


What one would be best to game and surf the net also watch movies?

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible
wingman99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:07 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,121
Rep: 342 (Unique: 242)
Neither.

27" 1080p is tiny PPI.
For movies if you sit close regular PC use then 32" is fine and gives you a wide angle view.
1080p for movies... mmm... no thanks. 1440p minimum 4k at best.
Surf the net... any modern device can do that.

To game on? Is the IPS panel really pushing <4ms response times? Do you like pixelated image due to low PPI for gaming? What games do you play that can run 1080p 240fps+?

27" is a weird size, it's a good size for narrow FOV gaming true or if you need to see all the crazy HUDs but 1080p is too small for it and 1440p while OK for gaming/movies causes issues of scaling for non multimedia use.

Last edited by JackCY; 10-18-2019 at 09:35 AM.
JackCY is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:23 AM
Senior OCN Member
 
shilka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 38,481
Rep: 2752 (Unique: 1632)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Neither.

27" 1080p is tiny PPI.
For movies if you sit close regular PC use then 32" is fine and gives you a wide angle view.
1080p for movies... mmm... no thanks. 1440p minimum 4k at best.
Surf the net... any modern device can do that.

To game on? Is the IPS panel really pushing <4ms response times? Do you liek pixelated image due to low PPI for gaming? What games do you play that can run 1080p 240fps+?

27" is a weird size, it's a good size for narrow FOV gaming true or if you need to see all the crazy HUDs but 1080p is too small for it and 1440p while OK for gaming/movies causes issues of scaling for non multimedia use.
Already told him the PPI of 1080P on a 27 inch was too low in another thread and he just laughed

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
shilka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wingman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,588
Rep: 62 (Unique: 45)
I have a 1920x1080p 27" now and the pixels are small enough that I don't notice them when surfing the net and watching movies, videos, gaming. I'm a competitive first person shooter gamer and my favorite games is Battlefield 1-5 and they can be played at 240Hz for 240FPS.

240Hz for 240 FPS in BFV video.


i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible
wingman99 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:30 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,121
Rep: 342 (Unique: 242)
If all you care about is that, then sure 27" 1080p why not. Though I wouldn't call Battlefield with added motion blur exactly competitive or competitive graphical settings. There are not that many 240Hz 1440p options anyway.
But is it refresh rate or motion blur you are after? As you could get much cleaner image (3x cleaner) at 2x lower refresh rate by using strobing.
JackCY is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:54 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
MistaSparkul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,150
Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
If all you care about is that, then sure 27" 1080p why not. Though I wouldn't call Battlefield with added motion blur exactly competitive or competitive graphical settings. There are not that many 240Hz 1440p options anyway.
But is it refresh rate or motion blur you are after? As you could get much cleaner image (3x cleaner) at 2x lower refresh rate by using strobing.
I have not seen any implementation of backlight strobing on an IPS panel that didn't result in horrible strobe crosstalk. I think it defeats the whole purpose of added motion clarity if you just instead end up with a whole bunch of crosstalk that looks worst than sample and hold blur anyways. Only certain BenQ TN panels with adjustable strobe area have acceptable levels of crosstalk, but for an IPS panel you might as well forget it.

Z370
(16 items)
X570
(13 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Msi Z370-A Pro
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V750
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Cooler Master H500P
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus XG248Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
Logitech G402
Audio
AKG K7XX
Other
SMSL M6 DAC/AMP Combo
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard
Asus X570 Strix-F
GPU
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX 860i
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Monitor
Acer X27
Keyboard
Ducky One MX Green
Mouse
Logitech G502 Wireless
Audio
Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Other
SMSL M6 DAC/AMP
▲ hide details ▲
MistaSparkul is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wingman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,588
Rep: 62 (Unique: 45)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
If all you care about is that, then sure 27" 1080p why not. Though I wouldn't call Battlefield with added motion blur exactly competitive or competitive graphical settings. There are not that many 240Hz 1440p options anyway.
But is it refresh rate or motion blur you are after? As you could get much cleaner image (3x cleaner) at 2x lower refresh rate by using strobing.
You can set Battlefield motion blur to "0". For 1920x1080p IPS panel 240Hz there are 4 monitor options.

Quote: Originally Posted by MistaSparkul View Post
I have not seen any implementation of backlight strobing on an IPS panel that didn't result in horrible strobe crosstalk. I think it defeats the whole purpose of added motion clarity if you just instead end up with a whole bunch of crosstalk that looks worst than sample and hold blur anyways. Only certain BenQ TN panels with adjustable strobe area have acceptable levels of crosstalk, but for an IPS panel you might as well forget it.
How true. My 1920x1080p IPS 144Hz has horrible backlight strobing crosstalk that makes gaming blurrier sweeping the mouse fast at 144FPS. What I also don't like is the back light cut in half with backlight strobing, so you can't see the targets sometimes.

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible

Last edited by wingman99; 10-21-2019 at 03:33 PM.
wingman99 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:55 AM
mfw
 
ToTheSun!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Terra
Posts: 7,147
Rep: 402 (Unique: 207)
Quote: Originally Posted by wingman99 View Post
How true. My 1920x1080p IPS 144Hz has horrible backlight strobing crosstalk that makes gaming blurrier sweeping the mouse fast at 144FPS. What I also don't like is the back light cut in half with backlight strobing, so you can't see the targets sometimes.
What do you mean? Not bright enough?

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
ToTheSun! is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wingman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,588
Rep: 62 (Unique: 45)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
What do you mean? Not bright enough?
For a LCD monitor the LED back light is the only light for the picture. Otherwise with out the LED back light the screen would be black. So with light strobing the LED back light turns off after every monitor refresh cycle cutting the 100% brightness to 50%.

From RTINGS.com
"There is an optional Black Frame Insertion feature that can be activated by enabling the ELMB feature on the monitor's OSD. This feature is only supported at a refresh rate of 85, 100, or 120Hz. When activated, the perceived brightness of the monitor is cut by about half." LINK: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg279q

Strobing screenshot with 100% brightness cut to 50% and strobe crosstalk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vg279q-bfi-large.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	302538

Without strobing 100% brigtness and no strobe crosstalk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vg279q-motion-blur-large.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	302540

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible
wingman99 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:00 AM
mfw
 
ToTheSun!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Terra
Posts: 7,147
Rep: 402 (Unique: 207)
Quote: Originally Posted by wingman99 View Post
For a LCD monitor the LED back light is the only light for the picture. Otherwise with out the LED back light the screen would be black. So with light strobing the LED back light turns off after every monitor refresh cycle cutting the 100% brightness to 50%.

From RTINGS.com
"There is an optional Black Frame Insertion feature that can be activated by enabling the ELMB feature on the monitor's OSD. This feature is only supported at a refresh rate of 85, 100, or 120Hz. When activated, the perceived brightness of the monitor is cut by about half." LINK: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg279q

Strobing screenshot with 100% brightness cut to 50% and strobe crosstalk.

Attachment 302538

Without strobing 100% brigtness and no strobe crosstalk.

Attachment 302540
Yes, I know how strobing works. What I meant to ask is what you mean when you say "can't see the targets sometimes." If you're talking about the reduced brightness, there's not much you can do but change your environment (dimmer lights, curtains on windows, etc).

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
ToTheSun! is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off