DisplayCAL vs DataColor Software - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

DisplayCAL vs DataColor Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
StAndrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 163
Rep: 12 (Unique: 8)
DisplayCAL vs DataColor Software

I purchased a Sypder5EXRPESS and before I calibrate, I'm curious if anyone has experience with DataColor and/or DispalyCAL software.

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
StAndrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:11 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Malinkadink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,042
Rep: 108 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
I purchased a Sypder5EXRPESS and before I calibrate, I'm curious if anyone has experience with DataColor and/or DispalyCAL software.
Return the Spyder and get an i1 display pro or colormunki display (same quality as i1 but just reads slower so it will take longer to calibrate, i have both). The reason i say this is because the Spyder uses organic filters that age with time which means it will progressively get worse at accurately reading a display. The i1 uses a dichroic filter that will not drift and is therefore a better colorimeter imo.

I use my i1 with DisplayCAL for generating color profiles, and i verify measurements with HCFR as well as use HCFR for calibrations that do not involve icc profiles such as when i calibrated my OLED TV.

Malinkadink is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
aweir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 3,873
Rep: 254 (Unique: 189)
The newer SpyderX uses a lens over the filter to protect it.

Last edited by aweir; 10-21-2019 at 08:05 PM.
aweir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
StAndrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 163
Rep: 12 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post
Return the Spyder and get an i1 display pro or colormunki display (same quality as i1 but just reads slower so it will take longer to calibrate, i have both). The reason i say this is because the Spyder uses organic filters that age with time which means it will progressively get worse at accurately reading a display. The i1 uses a dichroic filter that will not drift and is therefore a better colorimeter imo.

I use my i1 with DisplayCAL for generating color profiles, and i verify measurements with HCFR as well as use HCFR for calibrations that do not involve icc profiles such as when i calibrated my OLED TV.
I heard the Spyder5 didn't have this issue. I got it for $70 so its hard to beat the price. I'm just calibrating a Rog Swift PG279QZ (8bit) for gaming so not overly concerned with perfection. Mostly, if I ever get a second monitor, I want them to match color profile.

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
StAndrew is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
StAndrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 163
Rep: 12 (Unique: 8)
My used Spyder5 arrived with dried and crusty food on the sensor. Wow. Thank goodness for return policy.

Got a SpyderX Pro instead which should come in today which I believe has a dichroic filter.

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
StAndrew is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:25 AM
HGTTG
 
idahosurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Anna, TX
Posts: 1,013
Rep: 64 (Unique: 61)
Spend the time to learn how to use DisplayCal and it is free. This software is far better than the OEM software shipped with any Spyder or i1 Display Pro.

I would also suggest that you return the Spyder 5 Express and get a i1DP. All the reviews I read say the i1DP is better and should be worth the extra money.

I use a i1DP and DisplayCal.

7820X @ 4.6 GHz / 3200 MHz https://valid.x86.fr/ypfd6k
MB: R6E; CPU: 7820X @ 4.6GHz / 3200MHz; Ram: GSkill 16-16-16-36 @ 3600MHz 32GB;
GPU: Zotac GTX 1080Ti Amp Extreme; OS SSD: 850 Pro 512GB; PSU: Corsair AX860i;
Case: HAF-X; HSF: Archon IB-E X2 w/ 2500RPM Thermalright Fans, TP: CLP;
Monitor: Alienware AW3418DW
idahosurge is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
hmcindie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 26
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by idahosurge View Post
I would also suggest that you return the Spyder 5 Express and get a i1DP. All the reviews I read say the i1DP is better and should be worth the extra money.
I wonder how much of that is just internet bias? One dude says that i1DP is better then everyone copies it without trying themselves. I've been using a spyder4pro and the results look good. If I change it to i1DP will I notice any difference? I have a hunch that it's all placebo. Most of those "reviews" stating differences don't actually show any differences, just internet rumors.
hmcindie is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:31 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
ttnuagmada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 454
Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by hmcindie View Post
I wonder how much of that is just internet bias? One dude says that i1DP is better then everyone copies it without trying themselves. I've been using a spyder4pro and the results look good. If I change it to i1DP will I notice any difference? I have a hunch that it's all placebo. Most of those "reviews" stating differences don't actually show any differences, just internet rumors.
Lol. There is nothing "placebo" about being technically more accurate. Go to the calibration forum on AVSforum. Many of the worlds top AV professionals post there. Aint none of them recommending a Spyder over the i1d3.

The i1d3 has also been around a while and is known to not really drift much over time. This cannot be said for the spyders. The i1d3 and it's variations are what are sold with calibration suites like Calman. No one is selling spiders with their calibration software.


Last edited by ttnuagmada; 10-30-2019 at 04:27 AM.
ttnuagmada is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:50 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
ChaosAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greece
Posts: 674
Rep: 40 (Unique: 36)
Maybe a little off topic, but do you think the i1 Display Pro Plus (289 euros) worth the extra money over the i1 Display Pro (199 euros)?

Pure Dark TJ07
(17 items)
CPU
[email protected] - 1.34v
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Hero
GPU
Palit GTX 1060 6Gb Super JetStream
RAM
Gskill Trident Z RBG 2x8Gb 3600C16 @ 4000C17
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
WD Red 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm
Cooling
ThermoChill PA120.3 - 3xAP15
Cooling
Swiftech MCP655V - EK Top
Case
TJ07 Full Matte Black (Modded)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung S27A850D (2560x1440)
Keyboard
Logitech G Pro
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Audio
Εpoz Aktimate Mini on IsoAcoustics
▲ hide details ▲


ChaosAD is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
StAndrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 163
Rep: 12 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by idahosurge View Post
Spend the time to learn how to use DisplayCal and it is free. This software is far better than the OEM software shipped with any Spyder or i1 Display Pro.

I would also suggest that you return the Spyder 5 Express and get a i1DP. All the reviews I read say the i1DP is better and should be worth the extra money.

I use a i1DP and DisplayCal.
I returned the Spyder5 and got a SpyderX which is, allegedly, just as good as the i1DP (not an organic filament).
Quote: Originally Posted by ChaosAD View Post
Maybe a little off topic, but do you think the i1 Display Pro Plus (289 euros) worth the extra money over the i1 Display Pro (199 euros)?
I got the SpyderX for $170ish and results are great as far as I can tell. Its really hard to say objectively as the results (I think I got 99.7% RGB and 78% Abode but I'll have to double check) are measured by the same sensor that did the calibration and so its kind of a self licking ice cream cone.

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
StAndrew is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off