LG 27GL83A. Why even bother with the LG 27GL850? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

LG 27GL83A. Why even bother with the LG 27GL850?

post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Yes, the big one on the left is the LG.

I reset the monitor, the AMD profile, and reinstalled the drivers, and now it works fine even in displayport. I got a minor stroke for nothing.

Now that everything works fine, i'll say that the contrast is... bleh? It's actually slightly worse than the 23" on the right, which itself was slightly worse than other IPS screens i tried, and way worse compared to the VA but that's obvious.

Wide gamut gives a neon effect on all colors. Will have to spend time with this thing to see if i like it or not. Does Windows 10 knows how to manage this color space? Or is Microsoft stupid? (i'm going for the latter unless proven otherwise).

1ms response times is definitely a marketing scam. Overshoot and ghosting everywhere, worse than what you get on a VA. Might as well not be there, it simply looks horrible. Fast setting is fine, but i'm confused at how "fast" that actually is. I read about 4ms, but i also remember seeing someone mention 2.8ms?

I also remember reading someone was able to improve contrast with calibration. I don't have a tool, so i can't try it, but i wonder if a profile might help? TFT central doesn't seem to provide one. I know all monitors are different, and the calibration profile of one monitor is not guaranteed to look good on another, but it's worth a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 45)
What were you doing when you were seeing the ghosting and overshoot? Take a look at Blur Busters ghosting test and tell what you see LINK: https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Some new images:

https://imgur.com/a/ZWJkEmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

What is your informed opinion about the LG 27GL850 now that you have had some time with it?

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It's a fast ips, no point mentioning that part. I will just say a few things that may be of interest:

1) The wide gamut isn't as problematic as i imagined. When i first started the montior, every color had this "neon" effect on it. I've been playing around with the settings and i've also tried a few ICC profiles to try to fix the contrast, but what i managed to fix was this excessive saturation. Not sure exactly what i did, but everything looks normal now, at least on windows. It looks almost identical to sRGB, and i can only notice it's not in sRGB emulation when playing games. Maybe windows 10 got smarter and knows how to handle this color spectrum? I have a mind of starting from scratch and retrace what i did step by step.

2) The contrast is just bad. Nothing that can be done. I had a LG 27GL650F and there it was much better than the 23" IPS i showed in those pictures, almost half-way between the VA and the 23" IPS, where as the 27GL850 is actually slightly worst than the latter, which is a massive disappointment to me, because i thought it was going to be similar to the 27GL650F. I mean, it's an IPS panel, that's what it is, and i used the 23" for years, but if the contrast had looked as good as on the 27GL650F (i'm assuming that one had to have been higher than 1000:1), it would have been perfect. As it is, i'm contemplating returning it. I'm just waiting a bit to see if my distaste for the contrast is just an effect of having owned a VA screen as little as a week ago.

3) No variable overdrive apparently. This is supposed to be a "feature" of Freesync, so it's not the fault of the monitor, but after setting the response times to "fast" (fastest is simply unusable, the artifacts you get are way worst than what you see on a VA), and dropping around 60 FPS, you can start seeing some overshoot and white trailing. Honestly though, it seems i'm not sensitive to this kind of issues because it doesn't bother and i wasn't bothered by the purple trailing of previous VA screen, but i guess it's worth mentioning.

Other than that, the screen is beautiful looking, colors are great, and text is actually crisp and not blurry. This was my main issue with the 27GL650F, text was just unreadable to me. Also, i heard the VA LG has, the 32" one, suffers from blurry text, and i'm glad that problem isn't here. And of course, it's fast, too bad the 1ms overdrive mode is simply unusable.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 342 (Unique: 242)
1ms on marketing is either extreme unusable OD or strobing mode.

If you're having issues with washed out image on some cable... well it's your output device that's at fault, such as what color range is it actually sending and monitor expecting, 0-255 vs 16-235, etc.
Color management in OSs is not some smart thing, it does the conversions that are defined there and can be changed by user. It won't magically detect a wide gamut monitor and convert automatically everything to sRGB for you XD

The contrast on this LG panel is a true disappointment.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
The contrast on this LG panel is a true disappointment.
Indeed, but i need to point out one thing here. It seems contrast is "bad" only after calibration. It has been noted in the TFT central review that contrast on anything other than gamma 2 (which is the one calibrated by LG) actually approaches 1000:1, but after calibration they fall down to circa 800:1 again. Now, according to the following user, he was able to calibrate gamma 4 while retaining a 1000:1 ish contrast:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/co...ontrast_ratio/

I don't know how he was able to do this, and TFT central wasn't. Could be luck, he could be exaggerating, but even though i do not possess a tool for calibration, i wanted to try it, not the least because i don't really need perfect accuracy since i don't do anything with graphic design, i just want the screen to look "good" in my eyes.

So i installed his icc profile, fiddled around the settings, and... nothing much happened. Then i switched to gamma 1, while keeping his icc profile, and that actually cleared the fog a bit, to the point now it's basically identical to the 23" inch panel. Gamma 1 seems to "clear" the image which one would think would make the contrast worse but what it does is that it makes detail stand out and not get smothered by the visual fog created by the poor contrast. I was able to "eye" (i know, what can i do) a decent white point by setting the RGB to 47, 48 and 53.

So now the contrast is basically the same as the 23", which is to say, mediocre but not as terrible as before. I really wish i could measure it but it does look like an improvement to my eyes, and the colors look very similar to sRGB.

At this point i may just keep it and sell it if something decent comes out later on, or return it to amazon, probably get put on a list since this is the third monitor i refunded now, and then hang to my crappy 23" and get something better down the line. I was stupid to pick this model anyway, since i seem to care more about the contrast than speed, but live and learn i guess. I just figured, hey, 800:1, 1000:1, how different can they be? Guess i know now.

Last edited by Opus131; 11-08-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
That's the only thing holding me off this monitor. It got available on Amazon in EU, but not really feeling like buying it.
The more I think about it, I think I will get again the FI27Q. The contrast there was pretty good and the bugs it had should be fixed with firmware updates.

post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 28)
This could be of interest.

Or more confusing.
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
1ms on marketing is either extreme unusable OD or strobing mode.
The Advertised 1ms GTG represents how long it takes for a pixel to change between two colors to reduce ghosting or coronas.

MPRT (moving picture response time) represents how long a pixel is continuously visible for. Strobing Shortens pixel visibility time by adding black periods between refresh cycles. Or increase 144-240 FPS with complementing 144-240Hz shortens pixel visibility time by adding more frames per second at higher refresh rates to reduce motion blur.

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in