LG C9 as gaming monitor? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

LG C9 as gaming monitor?

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
LG C9 as gaming monitor?

I really want a nice gaming monitor with great colors and over 100hz refresh rate. It seems as if the LG C9 is the best out right now that meets pretty much everything anyone would want.

Besides having to sit further back from the 55inch screen is there any other reason this wouldn't be a good idea for a gaming monitor? I currently have a 34inch ultra-wide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 11:47 AM
Mice is bad civilization

Rep: 111 (Unique: 85)
With variable refresh rate available, there isn't any reason why it would be a bad idea to have one.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 11:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 629 (Unique: 342)
folks love it, once you adjust for size. HDMI 2.1 ready VRR = slightly "future proof" (cringes) since nothing can take advantage of that yet. at best Titan? which is 2.0b?

are they going on sale somewhere, tomorrow? Cuz right now everyone has them back @ MSRP.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 280 (Unique: 222)
You would have to run it at 1440p to get 120hz with current hardware. So you would have to sit back even farther then you would at 4k. Well unless you are fine with 60hz until hdmi 2.1 hardware comes out.

Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 12:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by CodeHPro View Post
I really want a nice gaming monitor with great colors and over 100hz refresh rate. It seems as if the LG C9 is the best out right now that meets pretty much everything anyone would want.

Besides having to sit further back from the 55inch screen is there any other reason this wouldn't be a good idea for a gaming monitor? I currently have a 34inch ultra-wide.

Man you know LG and nVidia got together. LG newest line 2019 get firmware update and it becomes g-sync compatible and you see a g-sync in the nVidia panel and it finds it and you enable it. Also I turn on HDR in Windows and things are soo bright and dark levels dark bright really bright.. Regular monitor is 250 to 350nits of brightness.. The TV 3x more nits. It is a gaming TV. In the back the first port says PC ,, you connect your HDMI for tv on second port.. and has instant response like 0ms lag if there is such thing... there is zero motion blur and zero lag.. It would feel like your gaming monitor but OOO soo much better. So with firmware update and other updates its the best thing you can do. 4k will do only do 60hz, But I play at 1440p and I play Quake Champions its sick,,,,,, I got a lap desk thingie its a small desk portable that you put your keyboard and mouse on so I don't have to turn my head all way to see it and see it at off angle ,, Doesn't get better then this... Q champions looks incredible in HDR glory , you turn it on in display settings and it gives the effect of HDR and does it well. Things are so bright, and the darks dark and brights bright... its just sick! For PC usage I use monitor as you cant use the TV as a monitor because the pixels are so much bigger and it doesnt properly show fonts they are all messed up. So for photos or gaming, but rest of the thing you do on your monitor.

CPU
INTEL 10980XE @ NO STOCK
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X299X AORUS MASTER
GPU
GIGABYTE WF RTX 2080
RAM
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB @ 64GB 3200 CL16 QUAD CHANNEL B-DIE
Hard Drive
CORSAIR MP510 960GB M.2 GEN 3 SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 500GB 850 PRO 500GB CRUCIAL M4 500GB LaCie EXTERNAL 2TB PORSCHE DESIGN & 500GB eSATA
Power Supply
CORSAIR AX1600i TITANIUM @ CORSAIR 330r BLACKOUT EDITION CASE
Cooling
CORSAIR H115i PRO RGB @ NOCTUA NF-14's INTAKE NF-14 EXHAUST NF-P12
Monitor
AOC 40" CURVED 4k LG 55" C9 OLED G-SYNC 120HZ
Keyboard
LOGITECH 915 LINEAR WIRELESS
Mouse
LOGITECH G PRO WIRELESS
Mousepad
STEELSERIES SMALL
Audio
LOGITECH G935 WIRELESS SCARLETT 2i2 AUDIO INTERFACE KRK ROKITS 10" & SENNHEISER HD 650 & 4.5.0 BTNC SL GRAND 88 Sonar Producer
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Turtle Rig; 11-28-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yea thanks! I was thinking about maybe getting the B version as it's supposed to support Gsync and is $300 cheaper but I don't see any deals on them probably because it's so new.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
folks love it, once you adjust for size. HDMI 2.1 ready VRR = slightly "future proof" (cringes) since nothing can take advantage of that yet. at best Titan? which is 2.0b?

are they going on sale somewhere, tomorrow? Cuz right now everyone has them back @ MSRP.
Yea, I'm fine with 1440p. I've used that before and loved it. I felt 4k was too much.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 05:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post

titan rtx's are $1999 in the US if you have a us school email address from an accredited one or educational discount direct from nvidia.com
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 05:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

yeaah. still think I'll be going with ASUS TUF 3440x1440p and an Index this year instead.

my Pro Art's random flicker/artifact issue is growing more frequent & happens on all inputs (not GPU, board, or cable related)

just download any of those price tracker apps to get an idea of how low it'll possibly go tomorrow/monday. C9 was down to $1200 just the other day but being modern black friday and all, you've gotta slowly roll the prices back to MSRP so the mass produced deals look good to the once a year shopper. N typically, door busters aren't the kinda screens we're looking for.

I figure I'll stop by best buy tomorrow afternoon, just in case. See if they have any sorta epic gaming monitor deals or LG OLED on sale.

Last edited by skupples; 11-28-2019 at 05:59 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 05:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

oops

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in