Triple Monitor Advice - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Triple Monitor Advice

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Triple Monitor Advice

I'm looking to upgrade to a triple monitor setup. However I will only game across all 3 games while sim racing. I will play some other games on the middle monitor only. I was thinking of going with a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor for the middle monitor so I can play games at 144hz. My dilemma is what to do with the side monitors.

Option 1: Buy 3 of the 1440p 144hz. This would look good and easy to set up with all monitors being the same but I can't run at 144hz on all 3 monitors at the same time so it also seems like a waste.

Option 2: Buy 1440p 75/60hz monitors for the sides. Drop the middle one down to 75/60 when sim racing since otherwise I'm just using these 2 side monitors for youtube and general internet activities. I don't know how well these will match up with the middle one though since they will be different monitors. I'd like them to match up nicely so I'm not distracted by the bezels while racing.

Option 3: Go with 3 24" 1080p 144hz monitors. A lot cheaper than option 1 but smaller screens and only 1080p.

I've never used a 1440p monitor or a 144hz monitor before. So I'm not really sure how much better a 1440p will look compared to 1080p. I did look at best buy and liked the size of the 27's more than the 24's.

I've also read that IPS is best for triple monitors due to TN's having bad viewing angles. Does anyone have any experience with triple monitors and which panels you used? I have a 24" 1080p TN now and I don't really notice any viewing angle trouble but I also always am looking at it straight on. When I setup my triples I will have the sides angled in so I won't be looking at them on too great of an angle.

I was thinking of buying 2 monitors from Amazon. Maybe the LG 83b or whatever it is and then maybe a cheaper 1440p 144hz and seeing what differences I can see between them. If there isn't too much difference I'd probably get 3 of the cheaper ones.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 95 (Unique: 74)
Why can't you run 144Hz on all three monitors in game?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Why can't you run 144Hz on all three monitors in game?
I guess this is possible at lower resolution, but at 1440p and above, is that possible with today's graphics cards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 630 (Unique: 342)
i'd recommend using identical panels, while not a requirement, it always makes things easier.

you can then set custom resolutions to tune it perfectly(this includes refresh rate). I used to run this identical setup, 100% recommend all three be high hz & identical.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 95 (Unique: 74)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aquineas View Post
I guess this is possible at lower resolution, but at 1440p and above, is that possible with today's graphics cards?
Yeah I don't see why something high end like a 2080 Super/ 2080 Ti couldn't handle that. Or there's always the RTX Titan option if you are really serious.

I'd also like to chime in that going with identical monitors is important. I did with my triple 27" LG IPS displays and was glad I did (dat screen real estate tho). Trying to get different monitors to play nicely together always had minor little issues that would bug me to no end.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 476 (Unique: 422)
In terms of 1440p vs 1080p, it really depends on the monitor size. A bigger monitor (25-27"+) will really benefit from 1440p, whereas <=24" will be fine with 1080p. You'll end up with similar pixel density on each of the relative screens.

3x 1440p screens will also be much more difficult to run at full resolution.

Triple 1440p = 7680*1440 = 11059200 pixels.

4k = 3840*2160 = 8294400 pixels.

Therefore triple 1440p = 25% harder to drive than a standard 4k panel.

Triple 1080p = 5760*1080 = 6220800 pixels.

Therefore triple 1080p = 25% easier to drive than a standard 4k panel.

Getting triple monitors to run @ 1080p 144hz will be much easier than 1440p @ 144hz. The latter will be nigh impossible with today's technology on AAA titles, whereas the former (1080p) will be easy.

The real question is, are you willing to lower the resolution you play at in order to use the 1440p monitors, and then hold onto them for future graphics technology which will be better able to take advantage of the screens?

Or would you prefer to just max out the resolution of the 1080p monitors today?

One thing I would note is that resolution is useful in more than just games. With a 1440p monitor, you can have 2 full size web browsers open side by side, whereas with 1080p, you can only have a single web browser open (most likely at fullscreen). This affects your productivity, and is an important thing to consider if you use your computer for more than just gaming.

Steam/Origin ID: xxicrimsonixx
CPU
i7 4930K
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
GPU
Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti SLI
RAM
16GB G. Skill Ripjaws Z
Hard Drive
2x 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD RAID 1
Hard Drive
2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 RAID 1
Optical Drive
Samsung Burner w/ Lightscribe
Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold
Cooling
Custom Watercooling
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922 w/ Dust Filters
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Monitor
55" 4K Samsung Curved TV
Keyboard
Roccat Sova Mechanical
Mouse
Roccat Kone XTD
Audio
Glow Amp One > HD650
Audio
Yamaha Receiver + 5.1
Other
Xbox One Wireless Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

yeaaah. I always ran multiple GPUs back in the Nvidia Surround days, however its still completely viable. I had to step down to a single screen due to space issues.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I thought people were saying online that 1440p at 144hz wasn't possible across all 3 screens so I just assumed I couldn't do it. It's not really necessary for me to do sim racing at 144hz so I don't mind dropping down to 60 or 70 hz if necessary.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

"not possible" is relative to what you're doing and playing. I'm sure plenty of 2-3+ year old titles would span and push 120FPS easily. brand new stuff? Not so much, but that's how its always been. CRU is your friend in this side fo the hobby.

also look up Flawless Widescreen. I believe he's returned from the dead.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
"not possible" is relative to what you're doing and playing. I'm sure plenty of 2-3+ year old titles would span and push 120FPS easily. brand new stuff? Not so much, but that's how its always been. CRU is your friend in this side fo the hobby.

also look up Flawless Widescreen. I believe he's returned from the dead.
I don't play too many new titles so I don't mind dropping down the refresh rate to make them more playable. I wasn't planning on playing on all 3 at once besides racing but I guess I can try it out and maybe I'll like it more than I thought I would.

Maybe it's a stupid question but what is CRU? Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in