Overclock.net banner

10bit, 27inch+, IPS monitor

4K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  JooTheNoo 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for good monitor for me. I am resident (radiology) so I need something universal with price limit around 1,5k$.

I need true 10 bit monitor with ~350cd/m2 luminance and good uniformity.
Minimum 27inch
DICOM profile is welcome
I also read a lot of books from monitor, I hate text blurring while scroling this make my eyes tired.

EDIT:
8bit+2FRC is fine.

#2 ·
you know that for 10 bit to actually mean anything you need every component in the chain to also be 10-bit, right? a 10-bit panel with 8-bit hardware will be an 8-bit display. your GPU and your software and your source and your connection and your monitor need to be 10-bit.

Dell U3818DW is true 10-bit but it's a 21:9, curved, and 38"

LG 27MD5KB-B 27" is a true 10-bit 5K panel that's 16:9 and not curved but it only barely fits your budget at $1480.

#3 · (Edited)
I have quadro so 10bit card and RX 580 for any other stuff.

27MD5KB-B is 8bit+2frc
I would like U3818DW (or any ultrawide display) but it is 8bit+2FRC. https://www.anandtech.com/show/11653/dells-ultrasharp-u3818dw-available-curved-3840x1600
On dell forum there is info it is 10bit but they are wrong. Dell display is based on LG panel https://www.lcds-display.com/produc...isplay_LCM_37.5-inch_3840x1600_parameter.html LG didn't do any ultrawide display true 10 bit. If that's matter LG stopped making any new panel model with true 10bit from around 2017.
My last display was true 10bit and it broke (uniformity was bad, few bad pixels and I return it on warranty).

I can pay more if there is any good display.
I was thinking about Asus PA32C (not PA32UC) but no reviews and PA32UC is 8bit+frc.

I do not need HDR

#4 ·
I know its mad expensive but I believe the apple p3 displays are 10 bit. If you can determine who makes the panel (LG or AUoptronics) you might could find an equivalent non apple one. Displayspecifications.com is an amazing site.

#5 · (Edited)
For that price you have ultimate EIZO displays with everything and that panel are not present in viewsonic :p
There is only one (noEIZO/Nec extra tax for name)- HP dreamcolor 32 inch - that monitor have 200cd/m2 - too dark for me.
6016 by 3384 resolution is very special there is no other monitor with that resolution, so no same panel.

#6 ·
Most monitors are 8bit+FRC, not a true 10bit. When ever you see 10bit on marketing materials of consumer monitors it's almost always 8bit+FRC. It's just marketing and they don't want to say it's 8bit+FRC so they say it's 10bit instead.
8bit is even worse as that may mean it's either 8bit or 6bit+FRC (yuck!).

If you need true 10bit I'm afraid you're in medical territory and this is likely not a place to find such device/monitor. As far as I know these are not cheap, no idea why you would need one considering a hospital etc. would be the one buying such devices in normal circumstances.
Maybe some professional graphical monitors can do true 10bit, but they are never cheap either. EIZO/NEC, maybe some BenQ/HP/DELL, but it will be mixed with their other endless regular 8bit or 8bit+FRC monitors.

#7 ·
yeah idk, the guy looking @ my radiology the other day (confirming my broken face healed correctly) was most definitely doing it on the same cheap mass production screen everyone else had throughout the facility.

#8 · (Edited)
Do you know good display with 8bit+2FRC?
But uniformity, luminancy and clear, sharp text while scroling is crucial !

That depend of type exam.
MRI 8bit with 200cd/m2 luminance is enough.
CT 10bit with 250cd/m2 is minimum (my room is not dark enought so for mee ~320 is minimum)
Classic X-Ray 10bit, 400cd/m2, with DICOM grayscale profile (diffrent cruve than P3 for example) is minimum.

All of them need great luminance uniformity.

#10 ·
sorry pal, after looking around for ~20 minutes (probably ignorantly) can't find anything that isn't twice your budget.

are you sure you need both kidneys?

#11 ·
I sold first one for iPhone 4 and second for iPad- I'm physician so I spending most time in hospital and dialysis is not a problem.

=================
Let's say 8 bit+2FRC is fine
Uniformity, luminancy (350cd/m2) and clear, sharp text while scroling is crucial :)
Great greyscale.

Dicom profile nice addition.

#14 ·
Well true 10bit with DICOM pretty much implies a purpose built monitor.

If you don't need that there are plenty retail models to choose from that are 8bit, 8bit+FRC, no calibration and more expensive ones with hardware calibration.
I don't read scrolling text, but to each their own.

There are so many monitors on the retail market it's hard to recommend anything without any further specs. You can find ones cheap <$200, or ones >$2000, all being >=27" and >=1440p IPS.

Pick your poison really. None is perfect.

#15 · (Edited)
Well true 10bit with DICOM pretty much implies a purpose built monitor.

If you don't need that there are plenty retail models to choose from that are 8bit, 8bit+FRC, no calibration and more expensive ones with hardware calibration.
I don't read scrolling text, but to each their own.

There are so many monitors on the retail market it's hard to recommend anything without further specs. You can find ones cheap <$200, or ones >$2000, all being >=27" and >=1440p IPS.

Pick your poison really. None is perfect.
I know there are monitors from 200$ to 2000$ and more :)

What more specs do You need to tell exact models?

Since I told you about luminance 350cd/m2, luminance uniformity, pixel response time (not input lag)/noGhosting, color depth (8bit+2FRC/10bit), deviation form greyscale- they are crucial to me.
Price range (around 1500$ or more if there is something worth of it).

Not important color gamut, HDR, dicom profile, resolution.

I can't think of more specs?

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks which one is better UP3216Q, Asus PA329Q/PA32C, SW320?

probably not. most of us have to bring our own tools to work.

IE: construction workers bring their own drills & hammers ;)

have you surfed other forums for opinions? Quara might be a good one to check, someone else has had to have the same question as you at some point.

if not, it's time to pull the trigger & see how it works. You keep referencing text clarity while scrolling as a major requirement, does that mean you should be hunting for high refresh rate displays?
So same here, except monitors.
Yes on another forum there are sponsor guys from nec and eizo. If you ask for monitor they say buy eizo or buy nec (some of them selling them so...).

I'm open for specific model.
I found for my research that Acer x27 have tragic uniformity.

#17 ·
Get you Hospital or whoever you work for to buy you one.

I would imagine OLED would be great. Do you really need 10 bit for radiology? I would think properly adjusted gamma and color response would be paramount... and most of them don't perform better than consumer versions. They're just qualified to not accidentally burn down an operating room.

"Hospital grade" monitors aren't really advertised or sold in normal channels.

#19 ·
Medical monitors are not good for anything else except one thing...
I am looking for universal monitor.
Hospital don't pay for private hardware. You would be surprise if you know what things have to buy my collage in some hospitals.
10bit or 8bit+2FRC is crucial. There is a diffrence between 8bit or 10bit/8bit+2FRC (I can tell only for greyscale).

#24 ·
be warned, the 2x pro arts I went thru had obscenely bad uniformity. #2 just got replaced due to half the screen starting to randomly artifact in 2d & 3d. (wasn;t GPU)

#28 ·
Pro Art, cuz its 10bit yo. adobe certified. more marketing jargon.

I'd recommend shopping on the manufacturer websites, instead of amazon or the like. they don't really stock the less popular, fancier, more expensive stuff. they mostly have what sells to kids/young adults.

I'm digging my AW3420. it'll be a good hold over until I jump to OLED & VR in 2021.

#30 ·
Which is only 3x over your budget lol.

Plus you're looking at a review of cherry picked sample sent by manufacturer to reviewer.
There are entire professional graphics forums where you would find way better info about which monitors are suitable for such work and how good or bad the lottery with their quality is when buying one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.