Ultrawide or Superultrawide - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Ultrawide or Superultrawide

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
Ultrawide or Superultrawide

This question must have been asked about a thousend times already. As im planing on getting a new monitor in the near future i was looking at 21:9 1440p monitor's.
It was at that moment i saw the Samsung C49RG90, and what a beast it is. So after some researching and reading reviews etc im still unsure about what monitor to pick.
I'm currently using a Dell U2312HM, and just gaming @ 1080p 60hz, Im mostly playing world of warcraft, and some Battlefield now and than.
Now i've been looking at a few monitor's, and i've "sort of" narrowed it down to two.
LG's 34GK950G and the Samsung C49RG90, while im leaning towards the samsung, the VA panel makes me doubt about it.
I love the color accuracy of the IPS panels. altho im comming from a 2012 model, both panels will probably be so much better than the dell im currenly using.
I've been looking at the LG 5k2k monitor aswell, and some other 4k, 1440p's and 32:9's but they mostly are 60Hz, and i will probably regret buying at 60hz later.

Im realy looking for expierence with both these monitor's or even side by side comparisons.
I'm aware its quite a personal issue aswell, i'd just like to get some decent information from people that have hands on expierence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 04:32 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2802 (Unique: 1655)
VA panels are the slowest panels around so if you are looking for a monitor with fast response time anything with a VA panel is not it
Also note that any IPS that claims that its 1ms is in the monitors fastest overdrive mode and in that mode the picture often looks like garbage so the 1ms is marketing hype

Another thing to touch on is a lot of people think a curved monitor is a good idea but ends up hating it so have you ever sat down and used a curved monitor before?
You might not like it and in that case it would be a bad idea to buy a curved monitor

And then there is the fact that some games have really bad or no support for UW or they require a ton of tweaking to get working probably
Have you considered all the cons about UW?

I almost bought an UW monitor myself but ended up dropping the idea because no UW monitor that i liked existed

Dreissen
(27 items)
Seravee
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard
Asrock x570 Taichi
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
G Skill TridentZ
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf Pro ST14000NE0008
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf ST12000VN0007
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf Pro ST12000NE0007
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf Pro ST16000NE000
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12S Chromax
Case
Phanteks Luxe 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mousepad
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
RHA L1 Dacamp
Audio
Sennheiser HD 599
Audio
Dali E 12 F
Audio
2x Dali Opticon 1
Audio
2x Dali Opticon 2
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Other
Vegas MBA 60cm LED Strip
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
GTX 1060 3 GB wth blower style cooler
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus GX 650 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
AOC 24G2U
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming STRAFE RGB Mechanical
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mousepad
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
Monitor
LG 24MP59G-P
Mouse
Logitech MX518 Hero
Other
Delock PCI-E to M.2 NVME Adaptor Card
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 04:36 AM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 147 (Unique: 118)
Subbed.

I have the LG34UC98 -- not exactly the same model as you listed but similar. The 21:9 ratio is great -- for productivity and gaming. It's super annoying whenever an app opens maximized by default. I think support for 21:9 is great as well in terms of gaming.

No experience with VA panels however I too am considering the C49. I'm wanting something with high Hz but also the 32:9 ratio -- I'm addicted to screen real estate now.

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 04:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 252 (Unique: 201)
VA panels are great for colour depth (blacks are black, rather than muddy) but shilka's right when he says their response times are slow.

If woes about games not supporting it are an issue, or applications doing stupid stuff... I'd suggest Surround, even though it seems to be falling out of favour. I rarely noticed the bezels between screens when gaming, because if the game is designed well (problem for ultrawide too) then your focus is the centre screen and the two either side are simply for peripheral vision.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 05:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
according to tftcentral this seems to be one of the fastest premium ips monitors out right now with an actual response time of only 3ms with no overshoot

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._nano_ips.html

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_38gl950g.htm
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 06:44 AM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
i see ultra wide as a stop gap to high hz 4K, and the stretch @ 5120x1440p is pretty extreme, even in fully supported titles.

max over-drive usually looks like ass, and is compounded by ambient occlusion, so I typically use the middle setting.

if you have the money, go LG 4K OLED.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
I knew about the 1ms response times on ips marketing. What i did not know was the slow response times of VA panels. As i mostly play World of Warcraft the extra resolution of a 21:9 would be prettynice to have tho so im not realy worried about aspect ratio too much.

I'm currently using a surround setup, 3x Dell U2312HM's. Altho i'm more likely to play at 1080P just to browse wowhead etc on the side.

Due to what has been said above the only thing the c49rg90 has to offer over the LG seems to be better color depth, blacks, and HDR. But the IPS seems to be the better choice than.

I've been looking at 4k high refresh monitors aswell. But i had my mind set on 21:9, altho im very open for suggestions. Im realy just looking for decent panel for light photo editting and alot of gaming. Preferably around 100Hz. With realistic color reproduction. The LG 34" 5120x2160 has my attention aswell. Only if it were 75+Hz it was an easy choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in