New IPS High refresh monitor - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

New IPS High refresh monitor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Slink3Slyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,015
Rep: 155 (Unique: 125)
New IPS High refresh monitor

I'm looking for an IPS screen 27 inches 2560x1440 120hz plus. I'd like it to be Gsync compatible at least and Freesync of course. Budget around 500 Euros but if I can get more or close to the same for less I'll consider it. Likewise I'll stretch to 600 max if something is really worth it. I'd also prefer the style to be understated if possible. I'm in Europe so buying from shops based here.

I've narrowed it down to the LGgl850-b

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07T7K2V7L/...s%2C177&sr=8-1

Or the Lenovo Y27q-20

https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/prod...-27-pelinaytto

I believe they feature the same panel. Just putting it out there before I pull the trigger, in case I've missed something I should be considering that is better or for less. I'd kind of like some sort of HDR support above a basic level if possible. So, if you have something let me know.

Thanks!

In the future everyone will be Ozymandias for 15 minutes. Or something.

Unrelated to other Slinkies.


Slink3Slyde is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 12:01 PM
Still kinda lost
 
Awsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trance city (Sana'a,Yemen)
Posts: 2,915
Rep: 116 (Unique: 86)

Godzilla HAF red
(18 items)
The Son Of Godzilla
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard
MSI MEG UNIFY X570
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING BLACK
RAM
G.Skill Trident NEO 32GB 3600mhz
Hard Drive
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB
Hard Drive
WD blue 2tb SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650w
Cooling
Nh-D15 Chromax
Case
CM H500
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
LG24GM77-b
Keyboard
Corsair K95 platinum
Mouse
Logitech G502 SE
Mousepad
Red Gear
Audio
AD900x
Audio
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
Audio
Schiit Modi 3
Audio
JDS ATOM
CPU
Intel Core i7 Extreme 2920XM/Intel Core i7 2860QM
Motherboard
P180HMx
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
Hard Drive
Seagate 750GB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
Blu-Ray reader
Power Supply
300W+8 cells battery
Cooling
Sager Cooling + CM SF-19 USB 3.0
Case
SagerNP8180
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate X64
Monitor
18.4 1920x1080 Glossy 16:9 Plastic covered
Keyboard
Gigabyte wirless
Mouse
Gigabyte wireless
Mouse
Table
Audio
ultrasone pro 550 + FiiO E7++ on board 5.1 sound system
▲ hide details ▲
Awsan is online now  
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Slink3Slyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,015
Rep: 155 (Unique: 125)
Yes, Ive read the article on Techspot. They recommend the LG gl850 as in OP. I've been reading a lot of articles. I'm looking for something outside the box, if there is anything.

In the future everyone will be Ozymandias for 15 minutes. Or something.

Unrelated to other Slinkies.


Slink3Slyde is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Overclocking since 1998
 
briank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 877
Rep: 47 (Unique: 40)
There isn't much that meets those requirements.

CPU
Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
GPU
Powercolor 5700XT Red Devil
RAM
TridentZ B-die @ 3733CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
Optical Drive
BD-RE
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Fractal Define R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
LG 27GL83A-B 27" Nano-IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K68 Cherry Reds
Mouse
Razer Deathadder
CPU
7700K Delid @5.1GHz @1.4V
Motherboard
Asus Z270F Strix
GPU
Asus RX480 Strix @ 1400MHz
RAM
Corsair Vengance PC3200 2x8GB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
2 x 3TB HDD
Optical Drive
LG BD-R
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Fractal Define R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Dell 27" 1080p
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder
▲ hide details ▲


briank is offline  
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 12:18 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
steadly2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 2,342
Rep: 100 (Unique: 92)
I was actually browsing similar IPS monitors and thing I would go with one that has ELMB. Specifically one that has ELMB compatible with gsync/freesync. The only one I found was an ASUS models. Not sure how familiar you are with blur reduction or sync monitors. But, once you use either you don't want to go without it. At least I didn't. And ELMB monitors usually disable freesync, or visa versa. Except for a few. Just something to think about. VG27AQ 27, something like that.

I don't think in that price range you can find all the variables you seek and HDR support. But maybe I'm wrong. Also I'd like to point out I've never used a strobing IPS monitor, just fast TN panels, Not sure if they play out the same or not.

you could also search freesync 2 HDR and see what's available, but most that I've seen are TN panels.

Just found an AMD link that you can narrow down options.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors


Last edited by steadly2004; 02-28-2020 at 12:35 PM.
steadly2004 is offline  
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Slink3Slyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,015
Rep: 155 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by briank View Post
There isn't much that meets those requirements.
Fair enough, to be clear the requirements are: WQHD, 27 inch, Gsync compatible, high refresh IPS. €600 or less.

I'd like HDR support if possible and I'd rather it wasnt g4m3ery but i'll consider anything for a good screen over all. If there isn't much then I'm happy to buy the LG gl850 just doing some due dilligence before that

I was wondering if there's still Korean monitors for example, hard to find reviews of them but I'd entertain the idea if someone had a good recommendation.

Quote: Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post
I was actually browsing similar IPS monitors and thing I would go with one that has ELMB. Specifically one that has ELMB compatible with gsync/freesync. The only one I found was an ASUS models. Not sure how familiar you are with blur reduction or sync monitors. But, once you use either you don't want to go without it. At least I didn't. And ELMB monitors usually disable freesync, or visa versa. Except for a few. Just something to think about. VG27AQ 27, something like that.

I don't think in that price range you can find all the variables you seek and HDR support. But maybe I'm wrong. Also I'd like to point out I've never used a strobing IPS monitor, just fast TN panels, Not sure if they play out the same or not.

you could also search freesync 2 HDR and see what's available, but most that I've seen are TN panels.

Just found an AMD link that you can narrow down options.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors
I dont know much about ULMB ELMB etc. I remember talk of sensitive people getting headaches from the strobing at some point. I should look into that too before I continue, thanks.

In the future everyone will be Ozymandias for 15 minutes. Or something.

Unrelated to other Slinkies.



Last edited by Slink3Slyde; 02-28-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Slink3Slyde is offline  
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 01:14 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
steadly2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 2,342
Rep: 100 (Unique: 92)
Quote: Originally Posted by Slink3Slyde View Post



I dont know much about ULMB ELMB etc. I remember talk of sensitive people getting headaches from the strobing at some point. I should look into that too before I continue, thanks.
Its basically black frame insertion, kind of resets the pixels before the next screen displays, for every screen refresh.

Strobing and headaches were related to back lighting being implemented poorly when the brightness was turned down. I am not aware of monitors that still have this drawback being released in the last 5 years or so.

steadly2004 is offline  
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Slink3Slyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,015
Rep: 155 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post
Its basically black frame insertion, kind of resets the pixels before the next screen displays, for every screen refresh.

Strobing and headaches were related to back lighting being implemented poorly when the brightness was turned down. I am not aware of monitors that still have this drawback being released in the last 5 years or so.
Well the LG has their own version : MPRT. From a brief look, for me I'm not looking for any competitive advantage. I think I can pass on having both simultaneously and just go Freesync\Gsync.

In the future everyone will be Ozymandias for 15 minutes. Or something.

Unrelated to other Slinkies.


Slink3Slyde is offline  
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 02:37 PM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,586
Rep: 352 (Unique: 250)
My last year list in signature.

My guess is probably to check the Viewsonic 2k MHD crazy coded one and PX7 Prime. Or blow more money on something else but I would so far dare to recommend to avoid the LG panel due to it's subpar contrast and reported defects.

Strobing so far always suffers from crosstalk as the phase and duration is set wrong and only I think the older BenQ TNs offer an official 3rd party app to adjust the settings for it. Other monitors you're stuck with the settings and crosstalk as they made it and can't change anything other than sometimes duration which doesn't help much at all.

Strobing is unrelated to PWM dimming. Most monitors nowadays use stable enough brightness dimming.
JackCY is offline  
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Slink3Slyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,015
Rep: 155 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
My last year list in signature.

My guess is probably to check the Viewsonic 2k MHD crazy coded one and PX7 Prime. Or blow more money on something else but I would so far dare to recommend to avoid the LG panel due to it's subpar contrast and reported defects.

Strobing so far always suffers from crosstalk as the phase and duration is set wrong and only I think the older BenQ TNs offer an official 3rd party app to adjust the settings for it. Other monitors you're stuck with the settings and crosstalk as they made it and can't change anything other than sometimes duration which doesn't help much at all.

Strobing is unrelated to PWM dimming. Most monitors nowadays use stable enough brightness dimming.
Thanks for the input, I had been looking at your list already although I havent had time to read through the thread too much yet. RTings seems to rate the Asus TUF VG27AQ highly. Better then the LG gl850. Its 100 euros cheaper locally, and I prefer to buy from within the country if possible. I'd been a bit wary of Asus because of their QC. The local store I like to use are really good on returns so I guess its just a risk of inconvenience. The Viewsonic you mention is fairly cheap on Amazon but is overall worse and has no height adjust, and the Pixio is not much cheaper then the Asus and not available locally. Both were worth a look thanks.

I'm asking because I haven't had my finger on the pulse at all. Is there a reason people wouldnt recommend the Asus TUF vs the others, or that you would recommend them over the Asus if price werent an issue?

In the future everyone will be Ozymandias for 15 minutes. Or something.

Unrelated to other Slinkies.


Slink3Slyde is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off