Do USB displays use the GPU? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Do USB displays use the GPU?

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
Do USB displays use the GPU?

I have an old i7 980 desktop and old Surface Pro 3 tablet. I basically only use the desktop to game. Surface is for everyday browsing. I never travel with the surface. It stays connected to a power cord 24/7. I'm just more comfortable laying down than being at a desk. Rather than replace both with two new machines, the thought hit me of making one build to serve both requirements. I'm picturing a sort of tablet tethered to a PC tower. A tablet that can not only handle gaming, but one that would never get hot. I see "portable touchscreen monitors" for sale that are very similar in form to the Surface. That is what has me confused.

The USB standard appears to be a dumpster fire. Some only say USB C with zero mention of what communication they use. Some have mentioned displayport through USB C. Some have mentioned Thunderbolt through USB C. Would any of these use the PCIe GPU in a desktop? I've seen some displays with HDMI ports, and I obviously could connect that to the GPU for video. They make no mention though if there's a way to retain touch with a USB cable in addition to the HDMI cable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 06:37 PM
Missing the Old days

Rep: 258 (Unique: 218)
i would say it entirely depends on the monitor/video driver most are cheap and require passthrough via onboard or dedicated gpu.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
Work Folder
(7 items)
CPU
AMD r7 2700x
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming PRO
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
RAM
PNY Anarchy-X 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
256GB Plextor M8Pe m.2
Power Supply
Corsair RM750X
Case
big metal box
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 x64
Monitor
DELL S2716DG
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G604
Mouse
Steelseries Mat
Audio
Logitech G602
Other
steam controller
CPU
AMD FX8350
Motherboard
BIOStar TA970
GPU
AMD FURY X
GPU
Zotac GTX 960
RAM
Gskill 2x8GB DDR3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair 650w
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 08:47 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
What do you mean by a USB display. There are probably displays that connect via USB to any device and can act as their own GPU+display.
And then you have monitors/TVs etc. that use displayport over USBC instead of DP or HDMI to connect to a GPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
What do you mean by a USB display. There are probably displays that connect via USB to any device and can act as their own GPU+display.
And then you have monitors/TVs etc. that use displayport over USBC instead of DP or HDMI to connect to a GPU.
I'm looking for a "portable touchscreen monitor". That's how they seem listed. A screen sort of Surface/iPad-ish in form. I want to connect it to a desktop but use a rtx-2070 (or whatever I may purchase) to handle the graphics.

What I'm confused about is the multiple USB C standards and how they work... Is there such a things as a USB C port on a desktop that can send the full potential of the discrete GPU (not what's built into the CPU) to a display? USB C Displayport? USB C Thunderbolt?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	348310  

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 01:30 PM
Overclocker

Modern GPUs have DP over USBC output. Some monitors have DP over USBC input. Thunderbolt is mostly an Apple way of ecosystem lockdown by combining multiple things into a cable+connector again taken from something else, such as PCIe+DP while using physical connections and cables of miniDP or later USBC. USB4 pretty much obsoletes Thunderbolt.

No idea what's confusing, it's all on wiki if you want to read it. If your GPU has DP over USBC output and your monitor DP over USBC input then you can connect them, same as if it was DP to DP or HDMI to HDMI.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 01:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Probably not helpful, but we have USB docking stations in the office with dual monitors and ethernet lan connectivity. I confess I am not sure if the integrated graphics from the laptop i5 are involved or not. It is fine for dual 1080p office work and videos, never tried to game on it.

Quote:I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents. Not because I'm an expert but because I have a keyboard.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 03:08 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 199 (Unique: 133)
Quote: Originally Posted by ynk1121 View Post
The USB standard appears to be a dumpster fire. Some only say USB C with zero mention of what communication they use. Some have mentioned displayport through USB C. Some have mentioned Thunderbolt through USB C. Would any of these use the PCIe GPU in a desktop? I've seen some displays with HDMI ports, and I obviously could connect that to the GPU for video. They make no mention though if there's a way to retain touch with a USB cable in addition to the HDMI cable.
The USB-C port on the Turing GPUs (like the 2070) works for both USB-C to Display Port and USB-C to DVI. If you get one of those USB-C portable displays you can plug it into the 2070's USB-C port and it will use that GPU to render. Do not get a Thunderbolt display.

The USB-C ports on the motherboard will not be able to send video rendered by the GPU, that would take copying the video output over PCIe to the system to send out the USB-C port. This is not normally possible (not sure if possible anywhere but definitely not standard) and would have an impact on performance.

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
Intel i9-7900X @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 4000
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Monoblock + GPU
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox ConnectX-3 MCX354A-FCCT 40 GbE
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Asmodian; 05-23-2020 at 03:31 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
The USB-C port on the Turing GPUs (like the 2070) works for both USB-C to Display Port and USB-C to DVI. If you get one of those USB-C portable displays you can plug it into the 2070's USB-C port and it will use that GPU to render. Do not get a Thunderbolt display.

The USB-C ports on the motherboard will not be able to send video rendered by the GPU, that would take copying the video output over PCIe to the system to send out the USB-C port. This is not normally possible (not sure if possible anywhere but definitely not standard) and would have an impact on performance.
Perfect. Thanks.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 04:53 PM
Overclocker

Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

This is totally doable, one can send the video output over anything, any connection, be it USB, LAN, store it to disk, what ever. Even the hackery of rendering on one GPU and sending it to monitor connected on a different GPU. All of these obviously have a latency, even bandwidth limitations.
Where as DP over USBC should work the same as DP to DP, no penalty.

https://www.displayport.org/displayport-over-usb-c/

Some high end phones support DP over USBC, so one can use them as a "PC": hook them up to a monitor, keyboard, mouse, though I bet the mobile system UI will leave a lot to be desired and so do mobile OSes in general.
USB4 is supposed to support DP2.0.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:34 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 199 (Unique: 133)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
This is totally doable, one can send the video output over anything, any connection, be it USB, LAN, store it to disk, what ever. Even the hackery of rendering on one GPU and sending it to monitor connected on a different GPU. All of these obviously have a latency, even bandwidth limitations.
Can you send it to a USB portable display with a Turing GPU plugged into a Windows 10 PC? I have never seen anything that would allow that. Do you have any links?

I wasn't trying to say that was impossible as a technology, only that today you cannot send the output of a 2070 via a USB-C port on the motherboard. You could if someone implemented it but no one has. Of course streaming video is a thing.

The closest I have seen is Optimus and similar mobile GPU solutions which route the dGPU though the iGPU to send it to the display. This works, not great and there are performance impacts, but it does work. However, it does not let you send that dGPU output to a USB port.

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
Intel i9-7900X @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 4000
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Monoblock + GPU
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox ConnectX-3 MCX354A-FCCT 40 GbE
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in