Acer XV272U X 240Hz 2560x1440p IPS Expected Availability AUGUST - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Acer XV272U X 240Hz 2560x1440p IPS Expected Availability AUGUST

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Acer XV272U X 240Hz 2560x1440p IPS Expected Availability AUGUST

Acer XV272U X 240Hz 2560x1440p IPS it looks like acer will beat eve spectrum crowdfunded monitors to the market. https://pcmonitors.info/acer/acer-xv...qhd-ips-model/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	349398  

Last edited by animeowns; 05-25-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 06:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
that's interesting. i'm waiting for a 1440p 240hz panel that isn't tn.

this acer doesn't seem to use the same panel as the eve spectrum qhd though.

acer: panel by auo, 8 bit, hdr400, matte,

eve: panel by lg, 10 bit (8 bit + frc), hdr600, 20% anti-glare

both mention a typical 1000:1 contrast ratio and backlight strobing.

spec-wise the eve looks somewhat better.

the anti-glare is my biggest gripe with monitors today. one would assume manufacturers would save the extra work because gaming monitors are usually at homes where one can control the light... instead they insist on ruining a crisp image by placing a coating over it. i have a glossy monitor here, an overlord korean 1440p monitor from 2014 or 2015, and an acer xb270hu (matte), and the glossy one is visibly more vibrant...

so between these 2, i'd rather get the eve. i'll wait for reviews first. there's also the upcoming samsung g7 , but let's see first if a va panel makes a usable 240hz display.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 08:46 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 363 (Unique: 260)
Problem is people complain about reflections so then monitor makers try to please everyone and deal with these complaints, too glossy! So they make it matte. Too matte! So their make it semiglossy. Too glossy! So they make it more matte. And so on it goes one panel to the next.
Ideal is around almost glossy but it also depends on the specific filter, some are better some worse. That way it breaks the reflections a tiny bit so you can't easily see yourself on dark scenes shown on monitor but it's not so matte that it ruins clarity too much.
Pure glossy is kind of a pain to use unless you paint your face black, wear a black shirt or only use the display with bright content.

They could also order from their panel maker both glossy and semi glossy variant, let people choose, but even from one brand to another they don't want to, they rather get the same exact panel as everyone else and refuse to risk and offer something that would allow them to stand out in some way. Or the extra for a different coating layer would be $1 per monitor due to lower volume and well that doesn't pass money grabbing of pushing costs to an absolute minimum.

Sometimes they just don't care, they will use straight out matte not even semi glossy.

Pure glossy can look wow in a showroom but not so much having to use it long term. And with higher and higher PPI it will be more and more important to move to more and more glossy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 PM
mfw

Rep: 515 (Unique: 238)
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
that's interesting. i'm waiting for a 1440p 240hz panel that isn't tn.

this acer doesn't seem to use the same panel as the eve spectrum qhd though.

acer: panel by auo, 8 bit, hdr400, matte,

eve: panel by lg, 10 bit (8 bit + frc), hdr600, 20% anti-glare

both mention a typical 1000:1 contrast ratio and backlight strobing.

spec-wise the eve looks somewhat better.

the anti-glare is my biggest gripe with monitors today. one would assume manufacturers would save the extra work because gaming monitors are usually at homes where one can control the light... instead they insist on ruining a crisp image by placing a coating over it. i have a glossy monitor here, an overlord korean 1440p monitor from 2014 or 2015, and an acer xb270hu (matte), and the glossy one is visibly more vibrant...

so between these 2, i'd rather get the eve. i'll wait for reviews first. there's also the upcoming samsung g7 , but let's see first if a va panel makes a usable 240hz display.
Historically speaking, a monitor with an LG panel will be less matte and slower while a monitor with an AUO panel will be... well, the other way around. I base "historically" on virtually all reviews with response time and sub-pixel analysis from around 2015 to today.

I'll still take the extra image quality most of the time, don't get me wrong, but the AUO panel might be more relevant in the context of 240Hz. Now, if we could get an AHVA panel with as little haze as an IPS panel, that'd be great!

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Problem is people complain about reflections so then monitor makers try to please everyone and deal with these complaints, too glossy! So they make it matte. Too matte! So their make it semiglossy. Too glossy! So they make it more matte. And so on it goes one panel to the next.
Ideal is around almost glossy but it also depends on the specific filter, some are better some worse. That way it breaks the reflections a tiny bit so you can't easily see yourself on dark scenes shown on monitor but it's not so matte that it ruins clarity too much.
Pure glossy is kind of a pain to use unless you paint your face black, wear a black shirt or only use the display with bright content.

They could also order from their panel maker both glossy and semi glossy variant, let people choose, but even from one brand to another they don't want to, they rather get the same exact panel as everyone else and refuse to risk and offer something that would allow them to stand out in some way. Or the extra for a different coating layer would be $1 per monitor due to lower volume and well that doesn't pass money grabbing of pushing costs to an absolute minimum.

Sometimes they just don't care, they will use straight out matte not even semi glossy.

Pure glossy can look wow in a showroom but not so much having to use it long term. And with higher and higher PPI it will be more and more important to move to more and more glossy.
I can use either one but the colors are more poppy on a glossy screen vs a matte
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 03:27 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 191 (Unique: 131)
I wouldn't trust Eve until they are in the hands of retailers and other vendors.

https://evedevices.com/pages/zendesk-contact

The Acer XF270HUA is probably still the best FreeSync monitor: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XF270HU-.../dp/B07CY137XM

Haven't had any blinking issues with nVidia's VRR implementation of G-Sync compatible and LFC works fine also.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 05-30-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Tags
1440p 240hz ips monitor acer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in