Different Projectors - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Different Projectors

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 149 (Unique: 126)
Ok I have finally convinced my Wife to let me get a projector and screen to use as our next TV. However I am a noob when it comes to projectors so where do I turn..Where else...

I know about tv's a resolutions and stuff like that.
Here is my situation.
I am not really worried about money but lets not get crazy. and I have plenty of room to get the screen HUGE. Thinking of just painting my wall WHITE and going with that...

I would need to be able to hook up to my cable obviously and I would need it to be able to hook up to my playstation and computer as I will controll it with my computer...
I know their are dangers of running a playstation on a projection tv...But that is what the warranty is for...
HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm go_quote.gif

I wish man bags were more sociably acceptable. I'd carry all sorts of stuff with me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:12 PM

well instead of painting your wall white you can get a portable pulldown projector screen which must be like 14feet diagonally, and folds up like a tripod. my dad has a NEC projector i think. it puts out some pretty nice image. playing xbox on it was fun NEC, SONY, BENQ (samsung if they make projectors) all those are good companies for screens/projectors
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Ok but what about that this lumins crap....I know obviously higher the better...but what will give a good image

Quote:

I wish man bags were more sociably acceptable. I'd carry all sorts of stuff with me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:15 PM

hears a link how to build your own xga projector with just an overhead projector and an lcd monitor
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041201/index.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 194 (Unique: 136)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_2001
Ok I have finally convinced my Wife to let me get a projector and screen to use as our next TV. However I am a noob when it comes to projectors so where do I turn..Where else...

I know about tv's a resolutions and stuff like that.
Here is my situation.
I am not really worried about money but lets not get crazy. and I have plenty of room to get the screen HUGE. Thinking of just painting my wall WHITE and going with that...

I would need to be able to hook up to my cable obviously and I would need it to be able to hook up to my playstation and computer as I will controll it with my computer...
I know their are dangers of running a playstation on a projection tv...But that is what the warranty is for...
HELP
For a screen , you can paint your wall white and leave it at that, but you will notice that the picture will look slightly faded and it will not have the depth that you would get with a TV. You can buy screens to project on, which helps quite a bit. Also, I've heard that there is a photoluminescent paint you can use that will add depth to the picture, but you'll have to look around for that. As for hooking them up, there should be no problem at all. As for hooking it up, there isn't anything you should know other than what you would know for hooking up a TV. Different models have different options for connection, but it's nothing difficult. Also, game consols, DVD players ect have no detrimental effect on the projector.

There are a few different types of projectors to look at, for example LCD projectors or Mirror Projection.

doh.gifNever argue with an idiot; they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
doh.gif
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

What are some that if you were in my position that you would buy

Quote:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 194 (Unique: 136)
LCD projectors are quite expensive, and the mirror projection type are a good bit cheaper. But they have quite a few moving parts so more to go wrong with them in that case, and they are somewhat louder (compared to LCD). As for brands, I couldn't say.

doh.gifNever argue with an idiot; they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
doh.gif
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:52 PM

as for the tv aspect:
1. get a computer down there and buy an internal tv tuner. hauppauge.com make some really nice tv tuners, i have one
2. Get an external tv tuner and plug it in via the vga connection.
i honnestly prefer 1 because then you get to do all your computer stuff on the big screen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in