Worth the money? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Worth the money?

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 44)
Im totally clueless about what to look for in a monitor, but i saw this flat panel at newegg and its the size i want i just don't know if ill be happy with it. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...180-018&DEPA=0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 05:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolus
Im totally clueless about what to look for in a monitor, but i saw this flat panel at newegg and its the size i want i just don't know if ill be happy with it. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...180-018&DEPA=0
thats the one i was looking at today i was thinking about asking for it for christmas, the thing about LCD's is that i think you have to look at it a certain way to get full color you know

:withstupiAnd stupids with meheart.gif

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 43)
Ok ... I wont go too into depth, but that monitor despite the reviews isnt all that great. You will have dead pixels and soon enough the money will be going down the drain. The brand isnt even well known ... I suggest you either save up for a better LCD or get a CRT for the same price.

"For those who understand, no explanation is neccesary. For those who dont, no explanation is possible."- ARV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 08:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood226
Ok ... I wont go too into depth, but that monitor despite the reviews isnt all that great. You will have dead pixels and soon enough the money will be going down the drain. The brand isnt even well known ... I suggest you either save up for a better LCD or get a CRT for the same price.
do you think CRT are better for gaming, and easier on the neck?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

ABSOLUTLEY ... if there's one thing I really know about PC's, it's monitors. The LCD's of tommorow havent cought up with the CRT's of today. Why ?? Well its simple, we just havnt been making LCD's for a third as long as we have been making CRT's !!

My advice, spend your hard earned bucks, or those of your parents, on something thats worth it ... get a nice CRT with a .25 dot pitch or less.

CRT's are for gaming, LCD's are for people who need more deskspace, or are just worried about how "bling" it is to have one .... or who might want to save a little on their monthly electric bill. LOL

"For those who understand, no explanation is neccesary. For those who dont, no explanation is possible."- ARV
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 278 (Unique: 169)
Quote:
ABSOLUTLEY ... if there's one thing I really know about PC's, it's monitors. The LCD's of tommorow havent cought up with the CRT's of today. Why ?? Well its simple, we just havnt been making LCD's for a third as long as we have been making CRT's !!

My advice, spend your hard earned bucks, or those of your parents, on something thats worth it ... get a nice CRT with a .25 dot pitch or less.

CRT's are for gaming, LCD's are for people who need more deskspace, or are just worried about how "bling" it is to have one .... or who might want to save a little on their monthly electric bill. LOL
It's sad but Northwood is right. LCD's are just over-priced and flashy. Well ... they save space. But for real picture quality, you want a CRT.

Blah
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 806 (Unique: 414)
I guess I'll be the black sheep this time (again)

I spent the 475 a while back to get my NEC 1765 (17inch LCD) and it games as well or BETTER than my A90F+ Viewsonic...

The reaction time of 16ms is exceptional for an LCD...and ghosting is definitely not an issue...

The NEC has been easier on my eyes...I dont have to angle it any particular way to get full color (now, a laptop LCD, thats different)

The NEC's have a diffuser..sort of screen protection. Well...it looks 10x's better than any CRT I've owned, and I know for a fact that Viewsonic is a great monitor. (not the best, but great)

So yeah, just my

post-flame-small.gif Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be post-flame-small.gif

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Dont get me wrong, LCD's are nice and all, but if you are a true gamer then I would go with a CRT. Here's a decent article that may help you in your decision:

http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=202

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, LCD's are nice and all, but if you are a true gamer then I would go with a CRT. Here's a decent article that may help you in your decision:

http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=202
plug and play is important isnt it? what other things are important while purchasing a CRT, i dont think my VS A75f has PnP

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Most devices today are PNP ... so dont worry about that.

As for other things important in CRT purchasing, well heres the BEST CRT of today. Just compare the specs of what you are looking at to this one, and the closer to it they are the better the monitor !!

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...002-040&depa=0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in