Guidlines for purchasing CRT?? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Guidlines for purchasing CRT??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 60
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hi, i am looking to buy a decent 19" crt, but i don't understand all the technical aspects of monitors, like i can compare monitors all day long and still not have an idea of what i was looking at. so are there things you should look for to make sure you are getting good bang for your buck :? thanks

What lies behind and what lies before are tiny matters compared to what lies within - Emmerson

Nivz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Overclockiit
 
|2A|N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,408
Rep: 364 (Unique: 216)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivz
Hi, i am looking to buy a decent 19" crt, but i don't understand all the technical aspects of monitors, like i can compare monitors all day long and still not have an idea of what i was looking at. so are there things you should look for to make sure you are getting good bang for your buck :? thanks
Well i would have to say stick with brand names, ive had bad experiences with no name monitors in the past, also i recomend getting a crt flatscreen they are a little more money and the picture look great, as for technical differences im unsure really.



|2A|N is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Retired Staff
 
Xavier1421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 9,589
Rep: 806 (Unique: 414)
http://www.viewz.com/shoppingguide/monitor3.shtml

post-flame-small.gif Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be post-flame-small.gif


Xavier1421 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Overclockiit
 
|2A|N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,408
Rep: 364 (Unique: 216)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1421
nice Link



|2A|N is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Retired Staff
 
Xavier1421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 9,589
Rep: 806 (Unique: 414)
Quote:
Originally Posted by |2A|N
nice Link
Anytime my friend

post-flame-small.gif Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be post-flame-small.gif


Xavier1421 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 60
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1421
great link thanks alot, i esp liked " 15" flat panel gives you the same viewable screen as a 17" CRT monitor " that i didn't know, that was a major reason for me not going for an lcd coz i figured why would i possibly want a smaller screen, so is it safe to say a 17" lcd has the same viewing or just a little under a 19" coz i know most 19" run at around 18" viewable right?

What lies behind and what lies before are tiny matters compared to what lies within - Emmerson

Nivz is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:47 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 192
Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
LCDs are easier on the eyes better for gmaing.

As for CRT (this also applies to LCDs) look at refresh rate, Dot Pitch, and resolution. As a screen gets larger the refresh rate will usually decrease so dont compare different size monitors in refresh rate. Hope thats a bit helpful. Im at work now, ill do a bit of research later and if no one has answered you question better then this ill post.

Shoot some rep points my way if I help you out. thumb.gif
Industrial is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Retired Staff
 
Xavier1421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 9,589
Rep: 806 (Unique: 414)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial
LCDs are easier on the eyes better for gmaing.

As for CRT (this also applies to LCDs) look at refresh rate, Dot Pitch, and resolution. As a screen gets larger the refresh rate will usually decrease so dont compare different size monitors in refresh rate. Hope thats a bit helpful. Im at work now, ill do a bit of research later and if no one has answered you question better then this ill post.
Refresh rate has nothing to do with LCD's...they are or should be flicker free.

The only concern with LCD's for gaming is the delay...lower than 16ms is good, mine is right at 16, and it games perfect.

Resolution for LCD's is a pain, cause most times they are rated for 1 res only...you can choose different resolutions, but that 1 particular res is the best.


AND you are correct with the viewing size. My 19inch CRT has the same viewable size as my LCD monitor.

post-flame-small.gif Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be post-flame-small.gif


Xavier1421 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 60
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
thankyou all for your help, but seems i have to put my monitor problems to the side for a second, wondering if anyone could help me with my new problem, see this was my first build, and i made alot of mistakes, the intel mobo, wireless mouse, and a bunch of other things, my biggest mistake was not purchasing a new operating system, i am running xp-pro right now, but the guy that helped me build the p.c. and installed the o.s. didn't tell me it was bootleg, so now i can't install any of the service packs, which is starting to give me some small problems, see, i can download the service packs, but when it comes time to installing it, i get an error to the nature of, incorrect product key i can install all the other critical updates, but otherwise i am in 5h1T... i was wondering, if i bought the home edition or professional upgrade c.d's would that solve my problem, or would it still give me the product key error? thanks

What lies behind and what lies before are tiny matters compared to what lies within - Emmerson

Nivz is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 04:58 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 192
Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1421
Refresh rate has nothing to do with LCD's...they are or should be flicker free.

The only concern with LCD's for gaming is the delay...lower than 16ms is good, mine is right at 16, and it games perfect.

Resolution for LCD's is a pain, cause most times they are rated for 1 res only...you can choose different resolutions, but that 1 particular res is the best.


AND you are correct with the viewing size. My 19inch CRT has the same viewable size as my LCD monitor.
argh. Been going through life with the wrong info. thanks.

Shoot some rep points my way if I help you out. thumb.gif
Industrial is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off