Laptop to TV? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Laptop to TV?

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Guru

Rep: 484 (Unique: 264)
Are there any devices which would allow a laptop to sent the video signal to a TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Guru

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 194 (Unique: 136)
have you a aftermarket vid card, or integrated?

doh.gifNever argue with an idiot; they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
doh.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokus
have you a aftermarket vid card, or integrated?
I am searching for this part for a co-worker, but I strongly beelive that it is using integrated because she knows nothing about computers and the fact that it is a laptop.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

well, if she has an aftermarket one, there should be either a video cable slot and/or S-video slot. (video cable would be the cord with the yellow ends, like you would use to connect ur xbox to the TV) ( and the s video slot is round, you need a svideo cable and then can plug it into a DVD player s video slot or the svideo slot of newer TVs)

doh.gifNever argue with an idiot; they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
doh.gif
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Guru

Quote:
well, if she has an aftermarket one, there should be either a video cable slot and/or S-video slot. (video cable would be the cord with the yellow ends, like you would use to connect ur xbox to the TV) ( and the s video slot is round, you need a svideo cable and then can plug it into a DVD player s video slot or the svideo slot of newer TVs)
Thank You for your help, I will check with her to see if she has the correct ports, if she does not could you recommend me a good aftermarket video card??
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

It doesn't have to be much, if she just wants it for displaying on the TV then a nvidia FX 5200 would work fine. Then you just need the cables (might even come with??) and ur set. You might have to play around with the resolution and color a bit, depending how old the TV is.

doh.gif
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Guru

Quote:
It doesn't have to be much, if she just wants it for displaying on the TV then a nvidia FX 5200 would work fine. Then you just need the cables (might even come with??) and ur set. You might have to play around with the resolution and color a bit, depending how old the TV is.
Will the FX 5200 work in a laptop?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

It should, there is a laptop comnpatible version i think. if not just pick one with the s video/ cable output. the 5200 was the only cheap one I could think of off hand.

doh.gif
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

You can even get cards designed specifically for displaying on TV's, called TV tuner cards, although I don't know how expensice they are. I think i saw one for 90 bucks canadian once.

doh.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in