Attention Crt Users - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Attention Crt Users

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 05:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 17)
this just in, can russian rullet increase your chance of cancer... stay tuned for the story at 11:00

:withstupiAnd stupids with meheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 05:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 58)
Quote:
Originally Posted by setite
what expert honestly says that cigarettes are good for you? sorry to bust your balls but you left yourself open on that one.
Yes, in the 1950-1960's they DID SAY CIGARETTES WERE GOOD FOR YOU. Hence some of the legal battles.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Look here

http://www.chickenhead.com/truth/

And more recently
http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/21209

Tell me and I may forget,
Show me and I may remember,
Involve me and I will understand.

"There's only 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't"

post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 05:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibant1
Yes, in the 1950-1960's they DID SAY CIGARETTES WERE GOOD FOR YOU. Hence some of the legal battles.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Look here

http://www.chickenhead.com/truth/

And more recently
http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/21209
they were used for stress and stuff werent they... they were looked good upon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 06:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

As you say, it wasn't just that they didn't harm you but that they were benificial to health and it only takes two minuites on a search engine to find some "Scientist" who will say the same now.

Believe all you read & hear and your going to be in REAL trouble.

The only advice worth a look at is the "Choke the chicken" to combat prostate cancer. If it's wrong at least you wont be as stressed when you find out the bad news!

"There's only 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't"

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 403 (Unique: 229)
A Freind of mine joined the Royal Marines, and he's always (for as long as I can remember) smoked. I tried to make him stop but his argument was he wasn't planning on living further than 30...

Nikon D90 + D40x / 18-55mm DX / 18-105 DX VR / 55-200mm DX VR / 50mm AF f1.8 / 70-210mm AF f4-5.6
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 173 (Unique: 136)
alright if you guys don't care then it up to u cuz i'm not u and thats all it is if your taking this as a joke wat not they fine by need laugh all you want i'm jsut tryin to save you gues from gettin too much radiation in u but u you don't care then don't regret it when u do find out u have cancer

post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 06:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznchowboy650
alright if you guys don't care then it up to u cuz i'm not u and thats all it is if your taking this as a joke wat not they fine by need laugh all you want i'm jsut tryin to save you gues from gettin too much radiation in u but u you don't care then don't regret it when u do find out u have cancer
Here's an apossing view, to prove my point. For everyone that say something will harm you, there's another to say it's wont.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/iyh/products/vdt.html

I think we need to lighten up a bit.

Go here for a laugh.

www.madblast.com

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1130 (Unique: 519)
Gibant has a point, for one view, there will always be one to contradict it. People have been going back and forth about CRT radiation for years, and no one clear cut answer as been acheived, but from what I've read, yes a CRT gives of radiation, but it's not enough to have an immediate effect, but if you spend a majority of your time around them it could be hazerdous. Radiation is electrons floating around in the air, it is EVERYWHERE in varrying degrees, you are exposed to it from the sun as a major soure throughout your entire life. I mean we've all heard of ultraviolet radiation right? it causes sunburns through an allergic reaction under the skin, but that's just Ultraviolet B, Ultraviolet A is a needed in the body to produce vitamin E. People live, people die, it's the way of life, and I'd personaly like to do the things I love rather than hiding and cowering in fear of disease.

Heh, Computers... sozo.gif
I'm back, yo! Be gentle! biggrin.gif
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 08:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 80 (Unique: 64)
I can see where you're coming from urging us to buy LCDs, and I dont doubt that CRTs, or really any TV,Monitor, or any device in which pixels and like are displayed, is bad for you. It's hard for me to see how any electronical device used for entertainment could be good for you; especially computers.

But it comes down to this. You have two options: Live healthy and not have as much fun
OR
Live unhealthy and do what you want when you want.

I'd much rather die earlier and have fun while I'm alive.

And everyone has a point: Everything causes cancer, but not really if taken in moderation.

Food dye causes cancer...If you drink 2 gallons a week.
Cellphones cause cancer...if you talk 4 hours a day. (which many people do..)
TVs cause cancer...if you watch them 8 hours a day.

As long as you do what you want but in moderation then I say it'll all be fine.
Now im no scientist...but I do have the ability to post this amazing smiley that makes me look REALLY smart!

ooooh ya

My FAQs:

Nvidia cards explained, and OCing/Benchmark programs

Play WoW? Send me a tell on Thunderlord. Name's Gambiit

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 01:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludaz
I can see where you're coming from urging us to buy LCDs, and I dont doubt that CRTs, or really any TV,Monitor, or any device in which pixels and like are displayed, is bad for you. It's hard for me to see how any electronical device used for entertainment could be good for you; especially computers.

But it comes down to this. You have two options: Live healthy and not have as much fun
OR
Live unhealthy and do what you want when you want.

I'd much rather die earlier and have fun while I'm alive.

And everyone has a point: Everything causes cancer, but not really if taken in moderation.

Food dye causes cancer...If you drink 2 gallons a week.
Cellphones cause cancer...if you talk 4 hours a day. (which many people do..)
TVs cause cancer...if you watch them 8 hours a day.

As long as you do what you want but in moderation then I say it'll all be fine.
Now im no scientist...but I do have the ability to post this amazing smiley that makes me look REALLY smart!

ooooh ya
i wouldnt say living healthy isnt fun, in fact (nope, in opinion... in fact would get a remark along with it) people who are healthy are happy and have energy... something i havent had for about 2 years

as much as i love computers, i would be way happier to be active again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in