Overclock.net banner

Looking for new LCD Monitor

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  danjf 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a new LCD monitor. I currently have a 20" CRT, so I wanted to stay in the 20" range (+/- 1" or so). I've read somestuff about how some LCD's (primarily older or more cost effective models) have a too high access time ( I was told to shoot for about 16). Which Brand do you guys reccomend/have had good experience with? Thamks for your help in advance!

--Dan--

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by danjf

I'm in the market for a new LCD monitor. I currently have a 20" CRT, so I wanted to stay in the 20" range (+/- 1" or so). I've read somestuff about how some LCD's (primarily older or more cost effective models) have a too high access time ( I was told to shoot for about 16). Which Brand do you guys reccomend/have had good experience with? Thamks for your help in advance!

--Dan--

Well a 19" tft will give you the same screen size as your 20" crt but it's costly to get a panel that has a fast response time (you want AT LEAST 16ms with a large pannel, good native resolution and contrast/brightness. When I've looked in the past It would cost at least £700 for a halve descent TFT.

Stick with your CRT for a year. You can now get 17" panels with 8ms responce for under £200. When they get around to the bigger panels that will be the time to get one. Also look out for the Sony deep black panels they do look good.

• Rep+
Reactions: danjf
#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibant1

Well a 19" tft will give you the same screen size as your 20" crt but it's costly to get a panel that has a fast response time (you want AT LEAST 16ms with a large pannel, good native resolution and contrast/brightness. When I've looked in the past It would cost at least £700 for a halve descent TFT.

Stick with your CRT for a year. You can now get 17" panels with 8ms responce for under £200. When they get around to the bigger panels that will be the time to get one. Also look out for the Sony deep black panels they do look good.

17, 19, 20.... pffft... imma be getting a LCD or DLP projector for christmas... so i say watch for my 60"+ widescreen woo woo!!! yes i know... but i just felt that i had to go overboard...

#6 ·
the dell 20.1 inch is supposed to be th best monitor under 1200$ its a 1600x1200 native and has awsum picture. also the 1 i goit the samsung 21.3" is really nice, but im not sure of the response time...but the dell is 1 sweeeeet TFT, probly the only thing dell does right

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by setite

17, 19, 20.... pffft... imma be getting a LCD or DLP projector for christmas... so i say watch for my 60"+ widescreen woo woo!!! yes i know... but i just felt that i had to go overboard...

I still have 2 x 27" Sony monitors. You get neck ache when using screens that big. I stopped using them a while back now. When I feel nostalgic I converse with your good self. The pain in the neck reminds me. ha ha Only joking mate.

#10 ·
Quote:

--Dan--

Just found a 19" 8ms monitor that look promising
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

#13 ·
yehid love to wait to purchase a new monitor, but im purchasing a new SLI system and my old monitor is 4 years old, so it doesnt have the DVI connector, which ive been told will take complete advantage of my new system (hopefully ill be ordering tht system in the next few days)

#14 ·
Ive been looking around and the viewsonic VP912b 19", and Viewsonic's VP201b 20" look pretty good. The Hyundai I saw over at OC UK which has better stats (19") cant seem to find it in the U.S. Anyway, If i dont see something better I'll prolly get one of the Viewsonics'. The Dell 2001P is nice as well, but its about a year old and I figure it might not be best choice now. Anyway, Talk to you guys later.

--Dan--

#15 ·
Quote:

Ive been looking around and the viewsonic VP912b 19", and Viewsonic's VP201b 20" look pretty good. The Hyundai I saw over at OC UK which has better stats (19") cant seem to find it in the U.S. Anyway, If i dont see something better I'll prolly get one of the Viewsonics'. The Dell 2001P is nice as well, but its about a year old and I figure it might not be best choice now. Anyway, Talk to you guys later.

--Dan--

I did alot of research before I bought my LCD and Bang for Buck I came out with a BenQ 19" FP931 16ms. I bought it back in October and have been very impressed. I play Doom 3 quite a bit and there is -very- minimal ghosting. I don't notice it at all during game play. Colors are impressive! Newegg has it right now for 385.00. I am very happy with this monitor.

Here are the stats from Newegg (Also note that this model has a faster resonse time than the nex BenQ model above it.)

BenQ FP931 Silver 19" LCD Monitor -RETAIL

- Specifications -

Panel Type: TFT Active Matrix LCD
Native Resolution: SXGA 1280x1024
Pixel Pitch: 0.294 mm
Brightness: 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 450:1
Response Time: 16 ms
View Angle: 130° / 130° (H / V)
Input Connectors: 15-pin D-sub, DVI-D
Features: Built in Power Supply
Dimensions & Weight: 16.8" x 16.3" x 7.1"(WxHxD), 16.3 lbs
Dead Pixels Policy: Replacement or Refund for 8 or more DEAD PIXELS ONLY!

Model#: FP931
Item#: N82E16824014063

#16 ·
that looks nice. Thanks for your reply. I've been hear some chatter about some new Samsungs coming out "down the road soon". I've been trying to find out what that means exactly
I've seen a 8ms Hyundai out there for sale coming out this month, buts its a UK site that doesnt ship to USA
oh well, guess I have a few more weeks before I have to commit to a decision. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.