Overclock.net banner

I need some help here

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  sniper_13 
#1 ·
So i live in a family of four, me my mum and my dad share the same computer, my sister uses her netbook, now heres the problem, if i dont mac ban my sister time to time, our bandwidth just goes down the drain because she is constantly downloading crap, music/movies/videos etc. I'm prepared to do a bit of work to set up a restriction on how much she uses before she gets kicked off, or if i'm able to block some sites, eg RS, etcetc... However i'm not prepared to spend too much money, and my dad doesn't want me mac banning her even though my dad and mum hate her becuase she doesn't give a **** about our pockets. I'f anyone is able to help me do this it would be greatly apprecifited

PS - If you think i can tell her (or my mum or dad) to tell her to stop using so much bandwidth, we've tried and it doesnt work
mad.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
in firewall settings on my router i can set user acess, block urls and and apply them only to one IP adress do you have a setting llke this?

EDIT: this can also be only for a set time per day and what not

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuals View Post

in firewall settings on my router i can set user acess, block urls and and apply them only to one IP adress do you have a setting llke this?
EDIT: this can also be only for a set time per day and what not
if by that you mean filtering then probably yes, other than that , i feel like trlling my sister with something... http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html , problem is i have no idea how to use it
tongue.gif

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffulas View Post

You could give here a static IP and set up times she is not allowed to use the net or get a router with QoS and give here applications low priority most newer linksys routers have this feature
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ugh, cant have her not be able to not use the internet, half an hour of being mac banned and she goes absolutely ballistic.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffulas View Post

You could give here a static IP and set up times she is not allowed to use the net or get a router with QoS and give here applications low priority most newer linksys routers have this feature
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This ^^

I didnt think of it but ive done it to myself when I download big files and the wife wants the net also.

MAC ban her for a min every 10 or so? just enough to lose her download or re-set her torrent (if she is using them)

also torrents can chew a tone of bandwidth and stop other connection can you ban her from all ports except port 80?

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuals View Post

This ^^
I didnt think of it but ive done it to myself when I download big files and the wife wants the net also.
MAC ban her for a min every 10 or so? just enough to lose her download or re-set her torrent (if she is using them)
also torrents can chew a tone of bandwidth and stop other connection can you ban her from all ports except port 80?
torrents are banned in newzealand fyi, shes not dumb enough (i hope) to take that risk

#11 ·
Well if your Router was a Unix host you could take advantage of iptables and create rules to control what comes in and what goes out. But since you don't try using QOS if your router has it available, try looking up your manual. I personally do not have experience with that particular router of yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.