Free vs Paid Firewall Anti-Virus, Thoughts? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Free vs Paid Firewall Anti-Virus, Thoughts?

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 107 (Unique: 89)
Does anybody here use paid services here for home use? Do you see the benefits?

I am currently using 360 Total Security (free) with the standard Windows 10 security and I've never had any problems, before that I used AVG free.

Why would anybody pay for firewall and antivirus software for home use? I see them advertised in shops with yearly payment plans and I think to myself, I have never knowingly had a virus in the many years I have used a PC, all whilst using free software.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 10:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 150 (Unique: 137)
you pretty much answered your own question.
I do not use AV for home.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 10:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 329 (Unique: 273)
No av for me since the beginning of time, never had a virus, and if i do get a virus, i’ll just restore an image then bam, instant fresh install.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Linux > All

Rep: 60 (Unique: 55)
Back when I ran Windows I used MS Security Essentials, nice and light. Never had a problem. Occasionally ran Spybot manually. Again never had a problem. The auto real time scanning from Spybot I paid for at one point, but I ran it manually out of habit anyway so waste of money for me. I can't think of having an issue in my entire Windows time when I was old enough to know better. All with free software, or the free functions of some of it.

yessir.gif[Free Your Mind!]yessir.gif
devil.gif
echo"The`uname`Club"devil.gif

"Figure out everything you want in life right now, then plan on spending the next 25 years getting it piece by piece..."

Think Different. List of Linux System Builders / Retailers
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin100 View Post

Why would anybody pay for firewall and antivirus software for home use?

Because just about all the free AV comes with advertising and a lack of privacy. I ditched AVG and Avast years ago as they started getting agressive with popups and crap. Id set them to not show notifications etc and they would anyway.

I checked 3rd party labs that review AV software and found Kaspersky was constantly the top rated, used them for a couple years until I realized they are Russian/state sponsored.

They constantly went nose to nose in reviews with Bitdefender. Have used their free AV which protects just as well as their paid service, has no advertising what-so-ever and is light on resource usage.

I run a Server 2016 box, 2 Windows 10 laptops as clients and use their gravityzone small business AV suite on all 3 and it works very well. I paid for it as it was only like ~$100 for all 3-4 licenses per year (got an extra licence in case I need it) and gave me a centralized way to manage all the AV software and reporting.

The software doesnt just protect against virus's, but trojan's, phishing, etc that can happen while browsing sites.

To me id rather at minimum use free AV or pay for it and not need it then need it and not have it.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

No av for me since the beginning of time, never had a virus, and if i do get a virus, i’ll just restore an image then bam, instant fresh install.

This logic is like saying if you dont go to the Doctor you must not be sick. A good (or even mediocre) virus isnt going to make itself obvious. If you dont have an AV to detect it you wouldnt know you have it...

You think a virus that compromises your webcam and/or mic wants you to know it? Not all virus give you popups for male enhancement...some of it intends to get information from your machine without you knowing.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:50 AM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 518 (Unique: 327)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0CoolX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

This logic is like saying if you dont go to the Doctor you must not be sick. A good (or even mediocre) virus isnt going to make itself obvious. If you dont have an AV to detect it you wouldnt know you have it...

You think a virus that compromises your webcam and/or mic wants you to know it? Not all virus give you popups for male enhancement...some of it intends to get information from your machine without you knowing.

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 206 (Unique: 166)
Quote:

I don't go to the Doctor every day. I actually see a medical doctor once or twice a year. More or less depending on if I need to, but if I don't need to, it's for my periodic general check up. I don't get a check up every single day.

What I'm saying is your logic is built on paranoia. The truth is, if you get a virus, 99% of the time, it was a user initiated change. The first line of defense is the user and the brain. I'm not saying you need an anti virus cause you're not smart so let's just forget that lol, I'm saying I don't use one and do periodic "check ups" with something like Malwarebytes and Panda cloud. They however, are not running all the time.

I win.
BIGGUS DICKUS
(21 items)
TERROR-RYZEN
(14 items)
SUPERPLEX
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte G1 GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
GPU
ASUS Geforce GTX 1080Ti Turbo
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Hard Drive
Western Digital SSD
Hard Drive
Crucial SSD
Hard Drive
WD Red
Hard Drive
WD Green
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
OCZ Fatality 1000w Sleeved
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
AOC G2590FX
Monitor
AOC G2590FX
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Cherry Browns
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 300
Mouse
Razer BF4 Mat
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Zx
Audio
Sennheiser PC G4me One
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
MSI B350M Gaming Pro
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 Reference
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR4
Hard Drive
Kingston SSD
Power Supply
Silverstone Strider
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Rosewill SRM-01
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Acer 24" 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech Wireless
Mouse
Logitech Wireless
Audio
Behringer Q502USB Mixer
Audio
Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-E
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus V Formula
GPU
MSI GTX 680 TwinFrozr
RAM
2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X @ 1600Mhz 1.5v
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Hard Drive
HGST Deskstar
Power Supply
RAIDMAX
Cooling
Corsair H100
Case
Cooler Master Haf X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 182 (Unique: 152)

IIRC both free and paid versions of antivirus use the exact same databases so the amount of protection you get is effectively the same (barring some extra features they include in the paid versions like browsing protection and etc.). I think that was the reason AV-Comparatives cited why they don't test both free and paid versions of a product (take this with a grain of salt; I'd go dig through their comments for that).

How each company tackles getting people to upgrade is a different story. Avira and Avast have adverts you can't really get rid of to my memory. 360 Total Security Essentials is quite nice, though I believe they include an ad banner in the newer clients now? Panda Cloud Free I haven't used but I believe it does the same as 360 when it comes to advertising. Bitdefender is by far the nicest one when it comes to adverts (you can disable it completely) but it also provides the least amount of options compared to the others. If you like having a lot more control over things (e.g. update times, auto-scan times, etc.) then you probably won't like Bitdefender Free. It is, however, the best set and forget solution that's hard to mess up so it's what I'd recommend when setting up computers for other people.

As for the people who don't use AV especially on Windows based machines, it's silly like the people before me have stated. Viruses aren't always very obvious (in fact they shouldn't be, and most are like that) and just because you see no signs doesn't mean nothing's been compromised. Most people probably just think of ransomware specifically which is a very small part of the picture.

It's not like they have enormous performance penalties anyways. Antivirus isn't some instance of Prime95 or something just grinding away at your resources by sitting there. Unless you need access to all of your performance all the time I'm pretty sure you can take a slight performance penalty during scans one day out of the month (pretty sure tons of antivirus, free or paid, have system load detection or "game modes" or something that pause activity if the user is taxing the system heavily or just let you pause ongoing scans).

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 518 (Unique: 327)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin Goo View Post

Quote:

I don't go to the Doctor every day. I actually see a medical doctor once or twice a year. More or less depending on if I need to, but if I don't need to, it's for my periodic general check up. I don't get a check up every single day.

What I'm saying is your logic is built on paranoia. The truth is, if you get a virus, 99% of the time, it was a user initiated change. The first line of defense is the user and the brain. I'm not saying you need an anti virus cause you're not smart so let's just forget that lol, I'm saying I don't use one and do periodic "check ups" with something like Malwarebytes and Panda cloud. They however, are not running all the time.

Faulty logic. You're comparing apples and kumquats.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in