Pi 3 acting as temp nvr - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Pi 3 acting as temp nvr

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Okay I'm not going to explain it all but the jist is, I bought a cheaper camera system and the nvr is crap so I'm returning it. Zosi brand if you want to know.

Anyways my pi 3 is laying around not being used so I was thinking of using zoneminder and 4 mid-range cameras. Thinking the reolink or amcrest Poe ones in the 60 range. I have a 2 tb HDD I just got because the zosi system didn't have one with it like it was supposed to work Amazon gave me a 50$ credit and I got a 2tb seagate.

So I guess my question is, if I am just recording and not watching them 24/7 can a pi 3 run 4 cameras? I know I'll need a Poe injector,which is fine.

The cameras I'm looking at are these
Reolink
Amcrest
Sv3c
Sv3c dome
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BNGWZVR..._xrj2Cb66DK0TN

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5JWK4K..._Xsj2CbRFF87RQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KJ1PRMC..._ptj2CbB2R4X4K

20% cooler in 10 seconds flat

That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad. ---Sheldon

Last edited by TechnoVixen; 05-12-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 AM
Cheapest Man On Earth

Rep: 72 (Unique: 65)
Unfortunately the Pi's released so far are all based on the same architecture which utilizes a single USB 2.0 lane for networking as well as the USB ports. Trying to connect a drive to a Pi means it is limited to USB 2.0 speeds, and using networking at the same time cuts in on the available bandwidth. The Pi Foundation said the next generation will use a newer architecture, but the currently available ones are crippled in this manner. They are learning devices and not meant for what most people try to do with them.

There are other options out there for Pi-like devices that have multiple, faster I/O options from the likes of Pine64, FriendlyElec (FriendlyArm), Odroid and others which tend to have less or no support. You can look at some Options Available at AmeriDroid. The companies mentioned supply working OS images. Alternatively you can look at the Options From Armbian for Debian and Ubuntu based images.

After buying all of the extras to get an ARM device up and running, and getting it suitable to connect a drive for writing a significant amount of data usually ends up costing around the same as a cheap x86 machine. There are plenty of people using ARM devices in that way, but I personally don't see any clear winners. There are lots of x86 devices using similar or slightly more power with substantially more versatility because of all the connections they have such as SATA, PCI-E, USB 2/3, and networking.

You can set up the Pi as a POE camera with a POE hat and Pi camera (the CSI port isn't on the same USB bus as nearly everything else). I have one set up to look down my driveway, but it just broadcasts on the network where another machine can be used to record. A cheap Atom based board has worked fine for me in my testing, recording using Motion on Raspberry Pi x86 and other Linux distros.

It may be possible to do some recording using the Pi and only using motion activated recording, but it will quickly get saturated trying to juggle more than one camera.

*Comprehensive Memory Overclocking Guide*
Low Power Ryzen
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2400G
Motherboard
ASRock B450M-PRO4
RAM
Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Cooling
Tuniq Tower
Operating System
Lubuntu 18.10
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kleer Kut View Post
Unfortunately the Pi's released so far are all based on the same architecture which utilizes a single USB 2.0 lane for networking as well as the USB ports. Trying to connect a drive to a Pi means it is limited to USB 2.0 speeds, and using networking at the same time cuts in on the available bandwidth. The Pi Foundation said the next generation will use a newer architecture, but the currently available ones are crippled in this manner. They are learning devices and not meant for what most people try to do with them.

There are other options out there for Pi-like devices that have multiple, faster I/O options from the likes of Pine64, FriendlyElec (FriendlyArm), Odroid and others which tend to have less or no support. You can look at some Options Available at AmeriDroid. The companies mentioned supply working OS images. Alternatively you can look at the Options From Armbian for Debian and Ubuntu based images.

After buying all of the extras to get an ARM device up and running, and getting it suitable to connect a drive for writing a significant amount of data usually ends up costing around the same as a cheap x86 machine. There are plenty of people using ARM devices in that way, but I personally don't see any clear winners. There are lots of x86 devices using similar or slightly more power with substantially more versatility because of all the connections they have such as SATA, PCI-E, USB 2/3, and networking.

You can set up the Pi as a POE camera with a POE hat and Pi camera (the CSI port isn't on the same USB bus as nearly everything else). I have one set up to look down my driveway, but it just broadcasts on the network where another machine can be used to record. A cheap Atom based board has worked fine for me in my testing, recording using Motion on Raspberry Pi x86 and other Linux distros.

It may be possible to do some recording using the Pi and only using motion activated recording, but it will quickly get saturated trying to juggle more than one camera.
Alright I appreciate the response, I'll have to use my main rig for now then and probably go a VM Linux distro route until I can get a cheap desktop to make into a dedicated Linux system

20% cooler in 10 seconds flat

That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad. ---Sheldon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in