upgraded my internet speeds today. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

upgraded my internet speeds today.

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
upgraded my internet speeds today.

i am having a little trouble with my internet speeds, i have come here to see if there is anything anyone could help with. my speeds should be 940/35 was 100/10. I have my modem connected to a netduma R1 with the dumaOS update.
my download speed before turning off ipv-6, QoS was avg 250. with it turned off its around 400. now with the computer connected straight to the modem my speeds avg 520. with windows task manager/fast.com and looking at the speed it goes as high as 600 for a millisecond then right back down.
I then did (ipconfig /release) (ipconfig /flushdns) (ipconfig /renew) my speeds using task manager/fast.com go all the way past 940, then hover around 860 for 4 seconds before going down and staying around the 500 mark.

i want to know what i can do even if it means buying a new router/Network Adapter to make it to where my pc can get the most out of this new connection.

specs:

windows 10 64 bit ver 1903 installed on a 970 evo 1Tb
crosshair VI hero bios 7403
ryzen 7 2700x 4 ghz
32gb ram 3000 mhz
vega 64 water cooled
ax1500I

please if anyone can help that would be great. i believe that the r1 the most it can do is around 500 while the xr500 i read was around 800 while the xr700 was over 1000.

the routers i have been looking at are Nighthawk xr500, Nighthawk xr700, ASUS - AC5300 or the ASUS - ROG Rapture AX11000. but first i just want to see if it's anything to do with my computer. thank you if you can help if not will thank you anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

first off, who is your isp? and i assume your on fibre as well?

next couple of things of note
the onboard LAN of your MB is more than enough to make use of gigabit
i suspect your networking equipment is slowing things down; easy way to check, plug the modem straight to your PC
make sure and use a minimum cat6 cable

to compare, my current rig is an am3+ board with gigabit lan, and my router is about 3 years old
i pull 700-900 mbps on speed tests all day long, and my connection is 1gb/1gb fibre
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by papertoast View Post
first off, who is your isp? and i assume your on fibre as well?

next couple of things of note
the onboard LAN of your MB is more than enough to make use of gigabit
i suspect your networking equipment is slowing things down; easy way to check, plug the modem straight to your PC
make sure and use a minimum cat6 cable

to compare, my current rig is an am3+ board with gigabit lan, and my router is about 3 years old
i pull 700-900 mbps on speed tests all day long, and my connection is 1gb/1gb fibre
yeah i did that already and nothing really changed tell i restarted the computer and the modem 3 times each and played a few games of RoE with a friend came back did a test and i was pulling 1.1 gigabit with 40 up. then i kept retesting it every two minuets for 10 minuets and it was avg 900. so i don't know what was going on but the speeds are there now i guess i just had to wait 8 hours for the full service to get to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:15 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 272 (Unique: 213)
@OP

Could you download something like a Linux distro via BitTorrent, basically something that will saturate your connection? Could you report back with your throughput?

Ryzen
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3
GPU
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Storage Array
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME 1000 Ultra
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Operating System
KDE Neon 18.04 LTS
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Keyboard
Dell SK-8185
Mouse
Logitech Trackman Wheel
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'll do that as soon as I can, fighting a bear that loves break water pipes. 3 days without water cause the bear said **** that water pipe again. that is the third time this year a bear has come up the backyard and bit into the water pipe.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by parityboy View Post
@OP

Could you download something like a Linux distro via BitTorrent, basically something that will saturate your connection? Could you report back with your throughput?

ok i did that and it downloaded really fast. It said it was downloading around 76 MB/s then it was done.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

when downloading a game from origin it gets around 98.68 MB/s then i deleted the game and redownloaded the game and this time it avg download was 66.34 MB/s.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:15 PM
I can count to potato

Rep: 17 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by killertea View Post
I'll do that as soon as I can, fighting a bear that loves break water pipes. 3 days without water cause the bear said **** that water pipe again. that is the third time this year a bear has come up the backyard and bit into the water pipe.
I'm really not sure what I was expecting to find in this thread, but this beats all my expectations.

I feel like after the 2nd time I would be looking into ways of bear-proofing the pipe.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Fluxmaven View Post
I'm really not sure what I was expecting to find in this thread, but this beats all my expectations.

I feel like after the 2nd time I would be looking into ways of bear-proofing the pipe.
it use to be buried but when the pipe would break ether from a tree growing or bears other animals and what. it gets tough to find that leak when you have to travel 2000 feet down the hill while looking for anything that says there is a leak. the way it is now a 1HP submersible pump in the lake from there it connects to a 1 1/4 inch pipe and then travels 2000 feet up the hill at a 35 degree angle into a 2500 gal tank. the neighbors where the ones that put the pipe down like that cause they didn't want to have to keep digging to fix a pipe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in