Overclock.net banner

Securing a Backup Server

945 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Dotachin 
#1 ·
I work at a small place with 7 computers. I have a backup computer with drives hooked to it that I back everything up to. That is that computers sole purpose, nothing else. I want to see about protecting it from a ransomware attack... My thoughts are, disable internet access, encrypt everything on it, and make the network 1 way. As in I put the backup program on it and it pulls all the files from the other computers through shared folders, without the server sharing anything back. So I would password protect the hell out of the server so nobody could access it but I can access theirs to make backups..

Is this a surefire way to protect it or is there something else I need to do or what?

I should also say I do make monthly external backups so if anything happens then I'm good other than the current month. I just wanted to see if it was possible to secure the server so they wouldn't be screwed on a months worth of data since it's a machine shop and there might be weeks worth of CAD files they drew up that could potentially be lost.

Also is there a benefit to windows server over regular windows 10? I just have a regular computer and it is what does all the backups, didn't know if there was a benefit to windows server edition if all it does is backups..

Thanks for the help!

See less See more
#2 ·
How many gigs of CAD files and data would you accumulate in a month?
Might be a possible solution to just store the current months data in a cloud backup (with amazon or someone), then you know you are covered for the current month to date, and covered for the rest by your offsite backups? Your server could then act as a local file server for the current month with no real worries if it is corrupted.

#3 ·
For the truly worried about ransomware, an (incremental) LTO8 tape backup once every two weeks might be the ticket. ;) Not cheap though.

#5 · (Edited)
How do you deal with normal corruption over time in the backup pc drives? any redundant drives at least?

2 ways to do this imo one online one offline, you can do both if you want:

online: backblaze ($5 a month and done)
offline: snapraid (it's free and deals with the corruption, it's basically a non-active raid that runs on command line) with that running daily and your monthly backup it should be fine.

edit: should point out the weak point about snapraid is that it doesn't like modified files, you should always rename them with a date at the end if they are incremental so they remain unique

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.