Restricting bandwidth to devices on the LAN - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Restricting bandwidth to devices on the LAN

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 30)
Restricting bandwidth to devices on the LAN

As the title says.. I am trying to restrict bandwidth to devices on my home LAN. I recently had gigabit fiber installed, with a cat6 cable running directly from the main panel in the basement and into the back of my gateway/router. From there, I've got a short ethernet cable running from a port on the router and directly into my Aquantia 5GbE LAN port on my motherboard (Max 11 Formula). I have about 10 devices on the WLAN and the PC i just described is the only ethernet device.

So im sharing the internet with some upstairs neighbors, who are contributing for some of the monthly bill, but I am paying the most out of 3 of us. So far its been great in most cases, but there have been a few times when things get bogged down a little (most likely during peak hours i.e. 5-9pm). I have looked at a few videos on how to limit bandwidth using some software tools, and Im also familiar with QoS in the router firmware, but I'm unsure about using the former and the latter isnt going to help in most use cases (from what I've read and been told).
I am currently using the G1100 gateway from Verizon, as it was free for 3 years on promotion. I do have a Linksys EA7300 thats only a few months old, but I stopped using it when I got the new one from Verizon.

Hopefully this is enough information about my setup and what I am trying to achieve. Any advice on how to limit the allowed bandwidth of the devices on my network would be appreciated! (i have this image in my head of the Steam download settings where you can choose, for example, 1 MB/s cap for game downloads, which means that it cannot use any more bandwidth than that) -- Also I dont reallycare if the restriction can be set per device, or if it has to be a global setting for all devices (followed by exclusions for specific devices).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Without doing anything else, can you just disable the wifi devices for a day and see if it is still bogged down? Also is it possible for you to see current total throughput on the GW during the time that you experience the slowdowns? That way you can at least verify that that is the issue, from what I read the G1100 does not handle QoS at all.

Martian Horiz(e)n
(12 items)
The Leftover(s)
(18 items)
CPU
R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
GPU
Galax 1080ti FE
RAM
G Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 - CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO
Power Supply
Superflower Leadex 750 Gold
Cooling
EK blocks, rads, pump/res - Barrow fittings, petg tubing.
Case
In win 509
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 34uc88-b
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB - MX brown
Mouse
Corsair M65 RGB
CPU
Motherboard
AsRock Z77 Extreme 6
GPU
Vega 56
RAM
Kingston Hyper X DDR3
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Hard Drive
Samsung Qvo
Power Supply
CoolerMaster V1000
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo
Cooling
EK Duraclear
Cooling
Barrow compression fittings
Cooling
360 Radiator HWLabs Nemesis GT360
Cooling
Deepcool RF120M x 6 RGB fans
Case
Deepcool Matrox 500
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
Viewsonic 3440x1440 curved
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Corsair M65
Audio
Aune T1SE DAC
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in