Massive drop in internet speeds - PLEASE help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Massive drop in internet speeds - PLEASE help

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 8)
Massive drop in internet speeds - PLEASE help

I went from ~400 Megabits per second to ~5. I'm pulling my hair out. My ISP is WOW (Wide Open West) of course there is nothing on their end, no outages, no help offered. I have reset both my modem and router several times.

The only thing that has changed recently was me updating Windows 10 (I didn't notice any internet issues after downloading the updates though.. but now a few days later I'm really worried with these speeds).

I currently have the TP-Link AC1900 Router and the Netgear CM600 Modem I have never "updated drivers" or "checked firmware" etc etc on these devices. Nor on my computer. Seeing as how I've never done it I'm at a loss and would greatly appreciate any information and tips you can offer along with HOW to "check the drivers on your router" etc.

I'm running Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.778)

Again, I really appreciate any help you're able to offer. I'm at a total loss here, and as you can imagine 5 Megabits/second is virtually nothing and my house cannot operate off of it.

EDIT:I'm finding when I reboot my PC I may get some vast improvement (going up to 150-500 Megabits) but then after a few minutes I'm once again crawling along. For example I'm now connected directly to the modem, just did a reboot and got 153 down, now 5min later I got 4 down..

Last edited by cctaylor88; 05-07-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 09:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 46)
hey buddy,

I'm hoping my small insight will help you. I used to work for an ISP (TWC before spectrum became available in my SWOH area)

From the inconsistencies of the packets you're receiving that I am seeing from your post, typically what happens is, fiber or coax the side of your house where the electric box is.

When you're doing trimming (weed eating) around those areas and the conduit is exposed on the telephone / ISP side (if it's underground) sometimes you nip it slightly and exposes the wire (again, if this is coax) that'll always do it.

However, if it's above the house > to the telephone pole, either 3 things happen, squirrel chew on the line right at the pole on the 500 line, or exposure of the line and collects water and eventually causes corrosion / SNR leakage.

So that being said.

how long has it been in effect (estimated) and is your electric above or below ground ?

This'll determine on where to look before you may need to contact the ISP and just unplug the modem from the power and tell them all services are out to force somebody to come out to your house for a service call lol.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Cloudforever View Post
hey buddy,

I'm hoping my small insight will help you. I used to work for an ISP (TWC before spectrum became available in my SWOH area)

From the inconsistencies of the packets you're receiving that I am seeing from your post, typically what happens is, fiber or coax the side of your house where the electric box is.

When you're doing trimming (weed eating) around those areas and the conduit is exposed on the telephone / ISP side (if it's underground) sometimes you nip it slightly and exposes the wire (again, if this is coax) that'll always do it.

However, if it's above the house > to the telephone pole, either 3 things happen, squirrel chew on the line right at the pole on the 500 line, or exposure of the line and collects water and eventually causes corrosion / SNR leakage.

So that being said.

how long has it been in effect (estimated) and is your electric above or below ground ?

This'll determine on where to look before you may need to contact the ISP and just unplug the modem from the power and tell them all services are out to force somebody to come out to your house for a service call lol.
So the electric/ISP is being ran from an electrical box in the backyard and underground to the back of my home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:05 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
Verify each device one at a time that it's capable of the max speeds it should do, say PC to PC via your router.
Connect directly to the ISP with your test device to see if it can run at max speed, obviously you also need to test from a good source at these speeds.
Then connect to ISP via your router, though because of MAC locks this may be a pain to do to try connecting with different devices to your ISP if you can't change the MAC, though you should be.
If everything works fine in your LAN but never over WAN then well get them to service it, be it an issue on their end or the last mile etc.

Can't see what's happening without some traffic capture, why is it so slow, packets getting lost, or what's up.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:19 PM
OCN is bad civilization

Rep: 116 (Unique: 87)
See if changing network throttling index in windows will help.

Stolen from speedguide.net
Spoiler!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Verify each device one at a time that it's capable of the max speeds it should do, say PC to PC via your router.
Connect directly to the ISP with your test device to see if it can run at max speed, obviously you also need to test from a good source at these speeds.
Then connect to ISP via your router, though because of MAC locks this may be a pain to do to try connecting with different devices to your ISP if you can't change the MAC, though you should be.
If everything works fine in your LAN but never over WAN then well get them to service it, be it an issue on their end or the last mile etc.

Can't see what's happening without some traffic capture, why is it so slow, packets getting lost, or what's up.
UPDATE: So upon power cycling the router the first speed test I got (ethernet) was 130Mbps, immediately following that 60, now 37.5 (these are all back to back to back). After typing this the speed test was 180Mbps, right after that it shot up to 300 and then each second it just fell and fell and fell and it was 169Mbps, shot up to 320 and finished at 68.3Mbps (these were all done within 3min) I feel like in 5min it will be at 5Mbps...

Update: Powercycled the modem and computer, now Im hooked up from modem directly to PC (no router). 551Mbps download, 462, 551, 548 (all within 2min). So... router issue? I have to hook router back up now (wife). So I can't see if these modem speeds sustain.

The router is the TP-Link AC1900 very capable and not even a year old.. so I'm not sure I want to just buy a new one?

And another update... I'm still directly to modem all of 5min after the inital fast speeds just above me and I got 49Down... right into 450, into 471 (okay maybe this 49 down was a fluke), into 451
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 06:11 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 87 (Unique: 59)
Quote: Originally Posted by cctaylor88 View Post
UPDATE: So upon power cycling the router the first speed test I got (ethernet) was 130Mbps, immediately following that 60, now 37.5 (these are all back to back to back). After typing this the speed test was 180Mbps, right after that it shot up to 300 and then each second it just fell and fell and fell and it was 169Mbps, shot up to 320 and finished at 68.3Mbps (these were all done within 3min) I feel like in 5min it will be at 5Mbps...

Update: Powercycled the modem and computer, now Im hooked up from modem directly to PC (no router). 551Mbps download, 462, 551, 548 (all within 2min). So... router issue? I have to hook router back up now (wife). So I can't see if these modem speeds sustain.

The router is the TP-Link AC1900 very capable and not even a year old.. so I'm not sure I want to just buy a new one?

And another update... I'm still directly to modem all of 5min after the inital fast speeds just above me and I got 49Down... right into 450, into 471 (okay maybe this 49 down was a fluke), into 451
Sounds like you could be affected by an oversaturated node. (I know it seemed like it got better after plugging directly into the modem, but its also likely that this was done at a different time of the day, and because an oversaturated node will often only cause intermittent problems, its best to do the following test.)

Setup a WinMTR test, ping 8.8.8.8, and let that run for at least 2 full days. Set this up on a PC that otherwise is not in use. After 2 Days, stop, save, and analyze the data. You can go longer than 2 days, but this is often enough to give you a decent picture of what is going on.

If you are seeing that consistently your latency go up during the day time, and then around 10pm at night are at the lowest you have seen them, then go back up to being over 130ms or more during the day, its likely you are on an oversatured node. If so, give this data to your ISP, and have them run their own test. They will not want to expand the node you are on without a great deal of proof that their is an issue, but you likely won't be the only customer in your area who has complained about it, and if you threaten to report them to the FTC, they often will take you more seriously. Obviously don't threaten them until you know for sure that it is an ISP side problem and not a Network Side Problem. It is also possible that your Router has just seen better days, so if you find a time of day that is worse, I would do at least an hour worth of tests on a PC Plugged directly into the Modem during that usually bad time, and see if the problems persist. Obviously if they persist when even plugged directly to the Modem, then its most likely either an ISP Side Problem, or a Circuit side problem (The hookup from outside to your house). Either will need to be solved by your ISP.

I don't know for a fact that an oversaturated node is the problem, but this is becoming more and more common in my region, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is happening in your Region as well.

The Tool you can use to quickly and easily ping out to and log the data is a tool called WinMTR its free, just search it on google. It records the Ping times between each hop, and the ping time to the destination (I recommend 8.8.8.8 because they always respond). You are looking for packet loss over the span of 2 days that is less than 3% or less. If you have less than 3% and your Ping times are 100ms and lower, with an average somewhere around 50 or lower, than most likely the circuit is not oversaturated. However if you are looking at packet loss above 10%, with Average Ping Times over 100ms, then there is most likely an ISP Side issue (Or at the very least a Network Side Issue, that needs to be worked out.)

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in