The pfsense Club - Page 52 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The pfsense Club

post #511 of 561 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
Supermicro and intel are heavily involved when it comes to driver support with freebsd

Can you say the same about Chelsio ?
We are not talking about FreeBSD. Yes pfsense runs on a modified FreeBSD, but driver support is not full FreeBSD capability. And for anything higher than 1gb ports, you must not know that pfsense 1st party hardware specifically uses all Chelsio NICs... And either way, you are trying to pivot the topic here.

Last edited by EniGma1987; 08-22-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 561 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 14)
Is this a router or something you put between your router?
post #513 of 561 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 06:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 119)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kana Chan View Post
Is this a router or something you put between your router?
pfsense is your router/firewall in most cases. It's flexible enough to fill a few rolls, but it really is intended to be your edge device. For a home setup you would have a computer that has pfsense as it's OS and it will function as your wired router and firewall. You would connect it to a switch and that would have your devices and wifi attached to it. You can also run wifi off the pfsense box directly, but that can be more work to config.

For home use, almost any computer you have laying around will work in most cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 561 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Does it outperform the ones you can buy at a store? Even the latest ac/ad routers?
post #515 of 561 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
Does it outperform the ones you can buy at a store? Even the latest ac/ad routers?

Depends on the hardware you use, but in most cases yes it will out perform any consumer router by a good bit.

post #516 of 561 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Missing friends

Rep: 700 (Unique: 431)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
Supermicro and intel are heavily involved when it comes to driver support with freebsd

Can you say the same about Chelsio ?
We are not talking about FreeBSD. Yes pfsense runs on a modified FreeBSD, but driver support is not full FreeBSD capability. And for anything higher than 1gb ports, you must not know that pfsense 1st party hardware specifically uses all Chelsio NICs... And either way, you are trying to pivot the topic here.
Thanks for making me laugh.

Freebsd is freebsd nice job on attempting to reverse it on me, but no they are not as active.

Are you using the EXACT same card they do.

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...
post #517 of 561 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 03:07 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 740 (Unique: 540)
The other day I was reading up on pfsense and it sparked some interest. Maybe a side project type thing. I saw that some people virtualize pfsense and it seemed like a reasonable way to go. I don't really want another computer or anything run. Right now I'm using unraid for a media server and nothing else. I figure it could be good enough to try this pfsense stuff too.

I suppose I still need to do a lot more research before taking the plunge. I currently have a netgear R7500 for my router. I don't even know if it's worth the hassle or what I'd want more. From what I've gathered, I see people using those 4 port intel nics, i've seen some unifi AP, and probably need some switch. Also something about PoE.

Any suggestions or things I should know or look into?

post #518 of 561 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

You can run it in a VM, but it comes with some odd quirks. Generally, it's best to run it on bare metal if possible. Do some googling and you will find plenty of threads discussing this on the pfsense/netgate forums.

Biggest thing with pfsenes or any other FreeBSD based OS is using Intel NICs. They will always work, perform well, and be trouble free. Others work, but you really need to search to see if what you have is supported. The pfsense forums are a wealth of information. And the Lawrence Systems Youtube channel has tons of great vids to watch on various parts of the system. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHk...ZbuGhwsADBd9ZQ

Last edited by Prophet4NO1; 08-23-2018 at 07:23 PM.
post #519 of 561 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Is the x86 cpu superior to the arm/broadcom cpus for routers? Do the Intel NICs have greater range too?
post #520 of 561 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Is the x86 cpu superior to the arm/broadcom cpus for routers? Do the Intel NICs have greater range too?
Generally, most pfsense setups are on X86. As for range, Intel NIC is a wired connection. So, it's range is limited by cable length.

For wifi, you will need to run an access point as well. This can be a dedicated unit or most routers can be run in a bridging mode that disables all routing functions. Basically making it a switch and access point and that's it.

A consumer "router" is actually three devices in one. A router, a switch, and access point. Some add a fourth part, a modem.

My personal setup uses a dedicated machine for pfsense. That connects to a 24 port switch. From that all wired machines and my wireless access points are connected. That's how most people will setup their networks. But it's not the only option.

If you want to go ARM or low power Atom based, look at the Netgate units. That is the company currently behind pfsense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in