[OFFICIAL] == Sandy Bridge-E == Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club == - Page 231 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OFFICIAL] == Sandy Bridge-E == Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club ==

post #2301 of 2310 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 24)
Definitely a good deal! 8) Ironically I do have a 4960X system, but I'm selling that to pull back some of the cost of an X99 system I built. Btw, I think there's a V2 of the 1600 series which is an unlocked XEON equivalent of the IB-E range and thus also has PCIe 3.0, but when I looked around they were way too expensive.

Ian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2302 of 2310 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:03 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
defib

Loving those insights in the graphs on the front page - so handy.

[/QUOTE]

I hope this thread becomes a resource to the Sandy Bridge-E Community, as well as a place for some friendly OC'ing competition.

[/QUOTE]

Very valuable resource.

no-one posted in here for over a year but here goes...

Just picked up a 3790X off Gumtree (AUS craigslist) for $180 AUD. Apparently the guy never OC'd it but i have heard that before.

It'll make a nice change from my 3930K that i have not had the ballz to run at decent (>1.35) vcore. reason being i did not have a "backup" chip until now. Currently Prime blend is just over an hour in, CPU @4.8Ghz, 1.402v, HT OFF, Load temp - 67-71.

Consider my SB-E system a Very up-to date version of it's era. about the only thing missing at this stage is Type-C. I'm sure as soon as i have a device that is Type-C capable, i'll choke up the 30 chickens it costs for a card.

Please ignore my double line spacing OCD Bu||$hite.

More details on the OC to come.
Validation to follow.

Pig Hunter Extreme
(23 items)
CPU
3970X @4.8Ghz 1.4v HT off
Motherboard
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
GPU
MSI GAMING X 1080ti @2063Mhz-Core/6091Mhz-Mem
RAM
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz (4x4GB)
Hard Drive
micron C400 256GB SSD (Game Installs)
Hard Drive
Western Digital 2TB green (media and downloads)
Hard Drive
Corsair force 3 240GB SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro
Hard Drive
128GB SAMSUNG SSD
Hard Drive
32 GB SAMSUNG Msata SSD
Optical Drive
LG BD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair hx1000i
Cooling
Corsair h100iv2 (push/pull)
Case
corsair 600t
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus MG278Q 144Hz 1440p 27"
Monitor
ASUS PA246
Keyboard
LOGITECH G Pro Tenkeyless
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Mouse
Razer Goliathus Chroma Soft
Audio
Astro A50 Gen 3
Other
Xbox one Controller
Other
lenovo explorer mixed reality headset
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by kitoxx; 10-15-2018 at 06:24 AM.
post #2303 of 2310 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Tbh you would have been better off getting a 4930K or 4960X. I have a 3970X, really couldn't discern any difference between it and the 3930K, for oc'ing I mean. Thing is with the 3970X, it has extra cache, but that produces more heat, so a 3930K can oc higher within the same thermal limts. Your 3930K will handle the same kind of voltage just fine, or it should do anyway, assuming it's the later stepping. I collated some results (for Firefox, set Page Style to No Style from the View menu):

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/tests-jj.txt

I've not added any 3970X data as it was basically the same. At least with a 4930K you get a bit better IPC and full PCIe 3.0 support. I upgraded my ASUS R4E in this way, it'll be good for a while (main gaming rig). I also have a 4960X but that's a production machine. Irony is, for production work, the XEON E5-2680 v2 10-core bagged the top spot on my results tables, though of course its single-threaded performance is lower.

Has it really been almost a year? Blimey...

Ian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2304 of 2310 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:38 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote: Originally Posted by mapesdhs View Post
Tbh you would have been better off getting a 4930K or 4960X. I have a 3970X, really couldn't discern any difference between it and the 3930K, for oc'ing I mean. Thing is with the 3970X, it has extra cache, but that produces more heat, so a 3930K can oc higher within the same thermal limts. Your 3930K will handle the same kind of voltage just fine, or it should do anyway, assuming it's the later stepping. I collated some results (for Firefox, set Page Style to No Style from the View menu):

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/tests-jj.txt

I've not added any 3970X data as it was basically the same. At least with a 4930K you get a bit better IPC and full PCIe 3.0 support. I upgraded my ASUS R4E in this way, it'll be good for a while (main gaming rig). I also have a 4960X but that's a production machine. Irony is, for production work, the XEON E5-2680 v2 10-core bagged the top spot on my results tables, though of course its single-threaded performance is lower.

Has it really been almost a year? Blimey...

Ian.
Hi Ian,

The chip i managed to get doesn't come up for sale around here very often. 4960X woulda been sweet tho. I don't really like the idea of buying second hand stuff online. I guess im oldschool like that.

The first thing i went looking for in your results was the Vcore.

Unfortunately the 3930k had not the vcore headroom and i never could really get any stability above 4.6Ghz even with 1.4v on it. The 3930k was also second hand when i got it.

This chip with much the same settings seems more stable and cooler for some reason.

I might knock Prime95 on the head for now. 2+hrs, might do some unigine heaven runs.

Pig Hunter Extreme
(23 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro
Hard Drive
128GB SAMSUNG SSD
Hard Drive
32 GB SAMSUNG Msata SSD
Optical Drive
LG BD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair hx1000i
Cooling
Case
corsair 600t
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Monitor
ASUS PA246
Keyboard
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Mouse
Audio
Astro A50 Gen 3
Other
Xbox one Controller
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #2305 of 2310 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by kitoxx View Post
The chip i managed to get doesn't come up for sale around here very often. 4960X woulda been sweet tho. I don't really like the idea of buying second hand stuff online. I guess im oldschool like that.
I've bought looooads of stuff on ebay. Generally very good experience, infact fewer issues than from normal retailers! I bought seven 3930Ks so far, five of the XEONs, two 4930Ks, a 4960X, etc. The latter was supposed to be my main production system, but it's spare now as through weird circumstance I ended up with a 6850K on an ASUS R5E.

Ditto GPUs btw, here's my custom GPU shelf (many not visible as they're in/on test setups):

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/gpushelves16.jpg

And old fashioned? You kidding? I'm almost 50.

With ebay it's just being sensible before bidding. Research the item, check past listings, take note of a seller's feedback, etc.

The first thing i went looking for in your results was the Vcore.
That's a very good point, back when I started doing all the testing it never occured to me to write that stuff down. Ahh, hindsight.

However, I think the CPU-Z submissions usually log the vcore, at least as Windows apps can see it (rather than what's set in the BIOS); scroll to the bottom of the page for all the CPU-Z links.

Unfortunately the 3930k had not the vcore headroom and i never could really get any stability above 4.6Ghz even with 1.4v on it. The 3930k was also second hand when i got it.
Ah well, YMMV as they say. I always seemed to be able to get 4.7 minimum with 3930Ks (I only sought the later stepping), but they did seem to need a bit of a disproportionate bump to run ok at 4.8. I've not tried higher as I didn't have the time, probably will one of these days. Plus, I want to experiment with an i5 680 first, hoping to get Clarkdale to 5GHz+.

I might knock Prime95 on the head for now. 2+hrs, might do some unigine heaven runs.
In case you don't know, try testing for 5 mins with P95 using FFTs of 1344 and 1792 before doing the main long tests; these can almost instantly reveal instabilities that would not be detected by standard long testing.

Funny thing with all this stress testing though, it's still not remotely real world. I built a 3930k setup a few years ago for a solo pro user, initially set to 4.8. It passed every benchmark and stress test I could throw at it with no probems, but trying to run the end user's application (After Effects) revealed render artifacts which were not detected by any stress testing. Dropping down to 4.7 solved the problem. The data set being hurled around used up 40GB RAM during the render. Here's the spec as it was way back:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/aepc.txt

Bit out of date actually, Quadro has since been removed, newer SSDs, etc.

Ian.

Last edited by mapesdhs; 10-16-2018 at 04:24 AM.
post #2306 of 2310 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Linux Lobbyist

That's a very good point, back when I started doing all the testing it never occured to me to write that stuff down. Ahh, hindsight.

However, I think the CPU-Z submissions usually log the vcore, at least as Windows apps can see it (rather than what's set in the BIOS); scroll to the bottom of the page for all the CPU-Z links.
Good thinking 99,

you had 1.416v at 4.8Ghz on the 3930k Ht on... Interesting. When i only had one chip, putting 1.4v on it scared me. I really didn't want to kill it.

Funny thing with all this stress testing though, it's still not remotely real world. I build a 3930k setup a few years ago for a solo pro user, initially set to 4.8. It passed every benchmark and stress test I could throw at it with no probems, but trying to run the end user's application (After Effects) revealed render artifacts which were not detected by any stress testing.
Very true, i have had units 24hours+ Prime, IBT, OCCT and unigine heaven and 3dmark stable. ROCK SOLID.

2.5 hours into a gaming session BSOD

makes sense that a 3930k would generally OC better tho. 20W less draw n all. I'll have a play with this new chip for a while and if all goes well i might put the 3930k back in about 12 months and crank it right up. ~5Ghz maybe 1.45v

Cheers

Pig Hunter Extreme
(23 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro
Hard Drive
128GB SAMSUNG SSD
Hard Drive
32 GB SAMSUNG Msata SSD
Optical Drive
LG BD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair hx1000i
Cooling
Case
corsair 600t
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Monitor
ASUS PA246
Keyboard
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Mouse
Audio
Astro A50 Gen 3
Other
Xbox one Controller
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #2307 of 2310 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

you had 1.416v at 4.8Ghz on the 3930k Ht on... Interesting. When i only had one chip, putting 1.4v on it scared me. I really didn't want to kill it.
Me too at first, though that was early days. From what I've read since (I went right through entire threads on OCN and elsewhere) 1.4 really isn't a problem, indeed in general it's thermals that matter more, as long as one is within sensible temps then it should be fine, SB/SB-E are very resilient I think.

2.5 hours into a gaming session BSOD
It gets even more complicated if one uses dynamic vcore (which is nice for efficiency and longevity), as it's possible to have a system that is fully stable under load but not completely stable when idle.

makes sense that a 3930k would generally OC better tho. 20W less draw n all. ...
Exactly, the added performance (such as it is) from the extra cache is outweighed by the lower max oc due to higher thermals. Reminds me a bit of how an i5 760 could reach a much higher oc than an i7 870 because the lack of HT reduced load temps by 10C.

I'll have a play with this new chip for a while and if all goes well i might put the 3930k back in about 12 months and crank it right up. ~5Ghz maybe 1.45v
One of these days I plan on trying to get 5+ with a 3930K aswell. I have seven 3930Ks lying about atm (don't ask) so it's not like losing one is a real concern, though I'd be more worried about losing a mbd as they're hard to replace now (all my boards are either ASUS R4E, P9X79 WS or P9X79-E WS). I plan on having some fun with more potent cooling. I have numerous AIOs, but time for something more interesting, we'll see, especially if I can find the time to try and make 5+ with an i5 680, hoping to break some records with that chip.

Ian.
post #2308 of 2310 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
I need your input regarding this issue: https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...pu-faulty.html
post #2309 of 2310 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by wanna_buy View Post
I need your input regarding this issue: https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...pu-faulty.html
What cooler are you using? Also, some consumer boards don't operate XEONs that well. I've found on several boards that the theoretical turbo levels just don't work, same happens even on a couple of prosumer boards.

It could I suppose be a faulty CPU as you say, but without testing the CPU on a proper pro board it's hard to be sure.

Ian.
post #2310 of 2310 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
I posted the update today and posted the screenshots showing the max temps reached on 3 different motherboards. I used Phanteks PH-TC12DX on Intel and MSI mobos, and CoolerMaster Hyper 212 on ASUS mobo.
Are there any other 2687W owners here? I want you to post what motherboards you are using.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in