Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition* - Page 988 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Was this guide helpful?
Yes (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard). 237 80.07%
Yes (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard). 45 15.20%
No (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard). 7 2.36%
No (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard). 7 2.36%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*

post #9871 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
You're welcome (aaaand one more, just the last one, lol ... it's a cooler with a fan ).

Now, seriously, RealBench should practically cover the "worst case" real use scenario. I'd keep the 4.5GHz, voltages and temps are great, and at the beginning of summer I'd check the temps to see if I need to lower to 4.4GHz or not. There are two more ways to OC your CPU, another offset way and fixed voltages, but for your first attempt I guess you had your run, right?

Well, all is settled and you're all set now

Be well and do good to others too (nevermind me being Darth, the Sith in me comes out when I need to focus and shake some people, sometimes cruelly and badly (I have to keep the reputation ), but when they get there I am all fluffy and in rare cases even exquisitely polite ) - so now enjoy your fast PC in 2019!!!

I am your father?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9872 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks man, plus you got a lot more patience than Darth Vader, He would have choked me out with mind control back a few dozen pages ago.. Do you think i should be doing a different kind of overclock, or don't fix whats not broken? Not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are of diff types of overclock methods. But if it all ends here, I am happy. You're the man... Now all thats left is a decent video card since mine really sucks lol.

I know you said you planned on leaving this forum.. Will you ever check in from time to time.. .. Was a cool experience to see how much you can increase the performance of a PC.. Glad I caught you on your way out, Not many people probably would have helped me so thoroughly.. so its greatly appreciated and it was cool learning something new.
Best regards and wishes.

Paulie
post #9873 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 470 (Unique: 317)
@PauliePeanuts : I remember a few pages back in this thread, you were experimenting with turning off the C-states. What's going on there right now? Are those disabled or enabled? You normally want to keep them enabled if they aren't causing a problem. That C-state stuff helps with power saving while you are doing boring stuff on the desktop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9874 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by PauliePeanuts View Post
Thanks man, plus you got a lot more patience than Darth Vader, He would have choked me out with mind control back a few dozen pages ago.. Do you think i should be doing a different kind of overclock, or don't fix whats not broken? Not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are of diff types of overclock methods. But if it all ends here, I am happy. You're the man... Now all thats left is a decent video card since mine really sucks lol.

I know you said you planned on leaving this forum.. Will you ever check in from time to time.. .. Was a cool experience to see how much you can increase the performance of a PC.. Glad I caught you on your way out, Not many people probably would have helped me so thoroughly.. so its greatly appreciated and it was cool learning something new.
Best regards and wishes.

Paulie
That's entirely up to you to decide, what type of OC you would like to run, you're on option 1 now below, and there are basically two more (2 and 3):

1. Yours now is the offset that brings the CPU closer to max vcore and should've kept it running max by disabling C states (but you say it didn't happen - you still fluctuate between 1.6 - 4.5GHz). I am unaware of your voltage fluctuations at this point (min-max) which is what @deepor asked, but both options with C states enabled and disabled are still viable, just different power-wise at least on paper

2. A smaller offset, but with some(!) Additional Turbo Voltage will shift from close-to-max approach that you run now, towards an approach that favors lower voltages in idle over longer period of time, and a boost from Additional Turbo Voltage (aTv) when the CPU is OCd and under stress (the aTv value depends on your CPU and will require tuning, just as we did before with offset). Voltage and temps wise you might see "longer" idles and therefore voltages and temps would keep lower longer than during shorter bursts of whatever work you load on your CPU - this means your CPU should theoretically keep lower temperatures in most scenarios, but the reality shows that this is valid for all the OC types - the difference will be minimum voltages (your CPU should also spend more time with lower voltage, hence longer lower temperatures). I find it to be a non-issue, since an Intel CPU can run long and happy on anything under 1.4v for very extended periods of time - under 1.3v it will last you an enormous amount of years, over 6 or even 10 I guess.

3. A fixed voltage OC will drive your CPU at the same voltage and usually at the same speed (say - 4.5GHz all the time with 1.28vcore all the time). Fixed voltage makes your CPU give you all the juice all the time. As you have seen from several videos, including the one from TechYesCity, he said that he actually usually runs fixed voltages. In my experience fixed voltages are a tiny bit lower than offset and max temperatures too. Say you get now 77c max, under fixed you might lower it to 75c. The CPU will last for long years too, maybe not 10, but 9 or 8 years more, without degrading with voltages that 3570k requires.

So, it's up to you. Give us your opinion (before I unsubscribe to this thread - but keep in mind that you can always tag me with @ before my nickname - like this @DarthFK - and I'll get a notification, just don't promise I'll have time )

I am your father?
post #9875 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Well you can't be my personal instructor forever, but you certainly helped me a lot thru this process... To answer questions I disabled the C states.. they were are on by default. But now they are disabled.. The only thing i noticed is after doing the bios changes the clock actually hits the amount,,, before it would show something like 4490 Now ill see 4499-4500..

my cpu constantly goes from 1600 to 4500 like a seesaw as I use the computer.. It's kind of weird. Sometimes it might stay on 1600 for awhile but it seems to just keep fluctuating between the two chaotically even if im not doing anything.. I know its supposed to do that, but not sure why it does it so much which seems for no reason. The voltage seems to always be fluctuating.. Should i have the C states on? Sounds like it doesn't matter either way? My LLC is at 2 .. i put it on 3 for the 4.3-4.4 overclock.

Are you saying that maybe on fixed voltage i could possible go to 4.6? That might be pushing it probably.. I see the higher you go the more juice you need.. on 44 to 45 i went from -.05 to +.04 Id probably have to go to +.1 or something for 4.6 and that might put me at 90 + in prime. But that is my amateur guess work.
post #9876 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by PauliePeanuts View Post
Well you can't be my personal instructor forever, but you certainly helped me a lot thru this process... To answer questions I disabled the C states.. they were are on by default. But now they are disabled.. The only thing i noticed is after doing the bios changes the clock actually hits the amount,,, before it would show something like 4490 Now ill see 4499-4500..

my cpu constantly goes from 1600 to 4500 like a seesaw as I use the computer.. It's kind of weird. Sometimes it might stay on 1600 for awhile but it seems to just keep fluctuating between the two chaotically even if im not doing anything.. I know its supposed to do that, but not sure why it does it so much which seems for no reason. The voltage seems to always be fluctuating.. Should i have the C states on? Sounds like it doesn't matter either way? My LLC is at 2 .. i put it on 3 for the 4.3-4.4 overclock.

Are you saying that maybe on fixed voltage i could possible go to 4.6? That might be pushing it probably.. I see the higher you go the more juice you need.. on 44 to 45 i went from -.05 to +.04 Id probably have to go to +.1 or something for 4.6 and that might put me at 90 + in prime. But that is my amateur guess work.
C states are for lowering voltages/consumption according to load. It seems from your para 2 they are. Perhaps if you enable C states they might lower voltages over longer idle periods "longer", and maybe even "more". Not sure. I'd have to dig my memory and read more on that. But your current situation seems as it should be.

You don't know what software is working "under the hood" of your PC, hence it has to jump up and down, as often as it needs. Just don't pay attention, leave C states alone. Leave LLC as is (llc2) for 4.5GHz, when you'd go to 4.4 you'll change it to 3.

Nope, I wasn't saying 4.6GHz. I was saying slightly lower voltages and hence slightly lower temps at 4.5GHz. But at that stage 1-2c matters... Does it mean you can attempt 4.6GHz? You can, but, yes the voltage and temps at this level increase exponentially. You may try (this time, following the same rules and see how much actual voltage it will require. Looking at your results in terms of voltages and temperatures, I would suggest 4.5GHz is enough, but, it's up to you.

So, do you want to try fixed voltages or are you happy with offset? Trying fixed means time, just saying.

I am your father?
post #9877 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Honestly, i would have to comprehend the benefits of going fixed voltage. I would do it if you felt it was the right thing to do, or I should be doing it to like , as you said, lower the temps a little bit.. But do you feel I need to? I am under 80 in real bench.. 84 in prime, but that seems to fry my system more than anything else in the world lol.

I don't have enough experience to make judgment calls.. I don't know what is more worth it,, having ur computer constantly fluctuating from 1600 to 4500 with weird voltage fluctuations.. or to have a steady stream of higher constant voltage.. It sounds like a topic that might be debatable.. Sure lowering temps would always be nice.. but if you feel that i don't have to, then why fix something that isn't broken. I just am conceding to your judgment because I am inexperienced. If you felt I should be running at a fixed voltage or at a certain way then I would do it. But the computer is running fine, i haven't noticed any stability issues.. the temps are fine for everything I been doing... I guess if i ever run something intensive and the temps are getting too high maybe then I would think about ways to be more efficient or something. I dunno.. I basically do what you think i should do.. Ur the yoda in all of this.

Last edited by PauliePeanuts; 01-10-2019 at 05:42 PM.
post #9878 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

The benefit is slightly lower voltage and slightly lower temperature for a stable system with a high "output". The downside is the permanent run at max speed and voltage. You don't NEED to, but do you WANT to?

There is no right or wrong in "idling+working" (that's not weird it's power saving when it needs to) or "permanently working" and spending power. It's just a matter of a coin toss and/or personal desire. You've ensured it's stable, so it just doesn't matter. But if anyone wants to debate it, sure But I won't participate in that debate It's a matter of a personal preference. You're free to chose if you're fine with what you have or feel that you'd want to experiment more and teak even more carefully. You're not choosing between bad and good, but two forms of OC both being good. Pick one and enjoy

I am your father?

Last edited by DarthFK; 01-10-2019 at 06:50 PM.
post #9879 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Let me ask you what you would do if you were in my shoes with this computer and his very first OC... Would you just figure everything is fine and good, or would you endeavor to lower the temps more.. as far as the idle state.. I have no idea.. I always assumed it was better to have lower power and clock when you aren't doing anything... but maybe the constant fluctuations up and down are worse.. and as you said regardless it sounds like these chips are sturdy and will last through these conditions... So honestly for me it just boils down to tangible benefits... So far the only solid point is lowering the temps.. the question to you is do you think i really need or should try to lower the temps with a fixed voltage.. I rather just go by your opinion because im pretty content with the way it is running now.
post #9880 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Remember, I was in your shoes, long long ago in an galaxy far away

No, constant fluctuations are not worse if you accounted for necessary voltages. There is no "one size fits all" no magic OC formula for everyone. I wanted those tangible benefits, you simply might not want them, since you've compensated the voltages with vcore and LLC. And it's fine! You kind of already answered the questions I wnated to ask you, in another way - are you happy with what you have now? Do you have patience and time for more overclocking attempts, failures and success? Are you feeling comfortable with switching your method? Do you want to run full power on your CPU? If to you it's marginal, trust me it's just fine.

Now enjoy!

I am your father?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in