Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition* - Page 989 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Was this guide helpful?
Yes (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard). 237 80.07%
Yes (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard). 45 15.20%
No (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard). 7 2.36%
No (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard). 7 2.36%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*

post #9881 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Am I happy? Yeah definitely.. Getting to 4.5 was more than I thought i was going to do.. but you set me straight with a cheap fan that gets the job done.. now im here at 4.5 and everything seems stable... I don't think its worth trying to go higher than this..What I am trying to probe you for are the answers for why i shouldn't be happy.. Because my inexperience is making me ignorant to any further reasons not to be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9882 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by PauliePeanuts View Post
Am I happy? Yeah definitely.. Getting to 4.5 was more than I thought i was going to do.. but you set me straight with a cheap fan that gets the job done.. now im here at 4.5 and everything seems stable... I don't think its worth trying to go higher than this..What I am trying to probe you for are the answers for why i shouldn't be happy.. Because my inexperience is making me ignorant to any further reasons not to be happy.
The way you formulated your question was understandably a case of probing my mind And I sm here to help, so, let's turn this a bit around - there is no reason to be unhappy with a very solid 4.5GHz result, obviously. And my question about alternatives is not a doubt in the previous way, but a statement that there is more than one way to achieve the same happyness aka OC Hence, outside of current overclocking "happyness" for your results the only remaining reasons to change something (again, change doesn't mean it's done because of the lack of happyness) is being curious and trying something new in CPU overclocking. Like taking the same mountain via a different route. I hope I answered this overclockers dream question and other questions that may arise from it ? Well, I think you're very good & pretty lucky with your CPU. That's why I am going to repeat, in other words, it's your decision to learn new ways in overclocking or stay with the current knowledge, results & maybe learn those sometimes later. Hence, again - enjoy ! 🙂

I am your father?
post #9883 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Ok, I hear you. That was a good analogy... It's always good to learn more, and I did find the experience interesting and I definitely learned some stuff from you.. I mean part of me wants to take advantage of whatever there is to learn or what you're willing to teach,, its like free lessons.. I mean there is a difference between reading stuff, and opinions and someone there to answer questions..

On the other hand I feel like everything is working smooth.. why mess with it and create more windows errors and all that stuff.. I don't have the best luck in life.. my luck is pretty terrible actually... Sometimes i feel someone put a curse on me... This overclock went pretty well ... My computer didn't explode i didn't end up with a faulty chip... I didn't crack my motherboard in half trying to install that fan.. Plus we added about 60 new pages to this thread of you patiently walking me through.. You got me to a stable 4.5 and im pretty happy.. I think ive pestered you enough.. Maybe ill just conclude the OC as a success and enjoy it for awhile and pick things up again in the future.. maybe an issue will come up where i have to.. but for now im just actually enjoying a faster machine that is stable on a fresh windows , new ssd.. Soon i might even turn my cache writing back on! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9884 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by PauliePeanuts View Post
Ok, I hear you. That was a good analogy... It's always good to learn more, and I did find the experience interesting and I definitely learned some stuff from you.. I mean part of me wants to take advantage of whatever there is to learn or what you're willing to teach,, its like free lessons.. I mean there is a difference between reading stuff, and opinions and someone there to answer questions..

On the other hand I feel like everything is working smooth.. why mess with it and create more windows errors and all that stuff.. I don't have the best luck in life.. my luck is pretty terrible actually... Sometimes i feel someone put a curse on me... This overclock went pretty well ... My computer didn't explode i didn't end up with a faulty chip... I didn't crack my motherboard in half trying to install that fan.. Plus we added about 60 new pages to this thread of you patiently walking me through.. You got me to a stable 4.5 and im pretty happy.. I think ive pestered you enough.. Maybe ill just conclude the OC as a success and enjoy it for awhile and pick things up again in the future.. maybe an issue will come up where i have to.. but for now im just actually enjoying a faster machine that is stable on a fresh windows , new ssd.. Soon i might even turn my cache writing back on! lol
Well, dude, I can very much relate to the feeling of having a curse... That's how I am feeling right now. Went to serious professional heights in my life and (very) few lows. Every time people wow at my credentials in my field at the highest level, then a few, not all, without even talking to me, start nitpicking at my bio. I even found a few scared once. I don't even pay attention to that. Between my former colleagues, 99.99% of them still reach out to me with respect and request for advise or opinion. I consult them and with them, and actually consult other people too now (you including ) For me every perceived "fall" is an opportunity to start new, to learn about whom I can trust, learn about various situations, new ways to approach matters - troubleshooting, dude I stand up, dust off and go up step by step. I am in a serious predicament for over a year, but I don't intend to let my hands down. And I'll get out of it, even if it takes lots of time. That's why I am good (enough ) at overclocking, if I fail, I try another approach, until I do it and I read and learn What a parallel, LOL I need to overclock my life

Life is a more complicated matter than OC, but your first OC of that 3570k was a clear success, nothing less. Now enjoy that, maybe a small, but pleasant success! Good luck in 2019!

I am your father?

Last edited by DarthFK; 01-11-2019 at 06:52 PM.
post #9885 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks my friend. Yes I can take all the successes I can get lol.. Thanks for helping with this one. I don't have the finances to buy a whole new computer so this helped a lot... I paid like 50 dollars for this chip on ebay so I am pleased. I am glad you got to hit your potential with your career. I went through life where everyone thought I would be a doctor, lawyer or something big since elementary school. I had professors at NYU who were experts in their field pull me aside and tell me I was the most gifted student they had in 30 years .. all kinds of praise and potential... But it means nothing if you don't have your mental and/or physical health.. Especially mental health. If you have those two things you can be a bum in the street with a dollar in your pocket and still come out ahead. But I am sure others out there have it even worse than I do. There is always someone out there with it worse, so I try to appreciate what I do have, even if it's not a lot. I am glad you didn't end up wasting your talents the way I have wasted whatever ones that I had.
I wish you health and happiness in the new year. Thanks again for all your help.
Best wishes to the dark lord.
post #9886 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

@Darkfk if you still are there maybe I can pick your brain about one last thing... I am not sure if my SSD is running proper.y.. it seems fine, but I never had an SSD before.. when I do the userbenchmark,, it says my drive is performing way below expectations.. I just wanted to ask you about that if you had any ideas
post #9887 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 470 (Unique: 317)
Can you show screenshots? A program named "CrystalDiskMark" seems popular with people, it will be possible to find comparison screenshots for that one for any drive.
post #9888 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

I have crystaldiskmark, but my main issue is finding comparisons.. im not sure what the numbers mean or what they should be.. When i google comparisons They are so vast.. some are like mine, some are wayy faster.. I can't get a sense of what is the norm... Here is my result.

https://i.gyazo.com/94bd5714c9866574...59d73350c4.png

Last edited by PauliePeanuts; 01-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.
post #9889 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 03:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

I am here. SSD issues are not a matter of OCing, so I would suggest to address that in an appropriate thread or open a new one here on OCN. Hopefully there are people who are more qualified on SSDs to answer there.

Before you do that, one thing - is the PC snappier than with HDD? If yes...

Out of continuity for your PC setup, I will give you some general points - here is a guide, I would suggest double checking again if you use the appropriate 6Gbps cable (you'd have SATA III or 6Gbps written on the cable) & if you are sure connected to that grey 6Gbps SATA slot (middle grey slots, the top or below once in the middle, not to motherboards right (or rather up) that are marked as M). Make 100% sure it is connected with the right cable to the right slot. Then I would check if you have updated firmware, then check again if TRIM is "zero", as per instructions here:
https://www.clonefileschecker.com/bl...in-windows-10/

TBH, never heard of Userbenchmark till now. And each SSD/company has different performance, so even a comparison between mine and your SSD will result in losses on both sides... So, Deepor is right - use the CrystalDiskMark, a recommended software. Speaking of that comparison and inevitable losses in comparisons, here - I used CDMark and my ssd performs worse than yours in first two benchmarks, but yours in last two more than mine (see attached picture and red areas). Again SSD are different, but all I can suggest is to ask an SSD expert or actually address the SSD company.

Worst case scenario - exchange the SSD with Newegg, just keep an eye so that 30 days from purchase do not pass.

P.S. your ssd is on the left and mine (Sandisk Ultra II 960Gb) is on the right, two different companies, surely two different performances. You might want to goodle reviews on your specific SSD name/model etc to compare properly, if you find them. It might be good to give us the exact name of your SSD too (look at the cardboard, which I hope you didn;t threw away or even take a picture of it with that sticker on).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comparison SSDs.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	246046  

I am your father?

Last edited by DarthFK; 01-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.
post #9890 of 9907 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 03:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

My SSD is crucial MX500 250GB CT250MX500S... I feel like my computer is running much better than it was, but i would like to know if there is something wrong with the drive or if I am getting what I should... Sorry for posting offtopic..

Yeah those numbers you highlighted are the ones that I was worried about... Ill check again but im pretty sure i have it plugged in the right channel and my cables do say 6 mbs.. I think if i had the wrong cables or port, it wouldn't be so high on these tests no?

Last edited by PauliePeanuts; 01-12-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in