Realtemp on sandy i5 2500k Core speed MHZ Flucuating to crazy high amounts?! 5.9 MHZ - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Realtemp on sandy i5 2500k Core speed MHZ Flucuating to crazy high amounts?! 5.9 MHZ

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 37)
Realtemp on sandy i5 2500k Core speed MHZ Flucuating to crazy high amounts?! 5.9 MHZ For like a split second. Yes i have EIST and C1E on so it being lower is expected But sometimes i notice occasional very short, Less than a split second Spikes ABOVE my allocated 4.5 GHZ (4500 MHZ) to some crazy amount like 5900 MHZ or 5600 MHZ or 5000 MHZ (5.9 GHZ or 5.6 GHZ or 5.0 GHZ) is this a glitch in realtemp 3.70 or my system doing this??? im puzzled!!?

Life is a series of 1's and 0's. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 921 (Unique: 603)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pent View Post

Realtemp on sandy i5 2500k Core speed MHZ Flucuating to crazy high amounts?! 5.9 MHZ For like a split second. Yes i have EIST and C1E on so it being lower is expected But sometimes i notice occasional very short, Less than a split second Spikes ABOVE my allocated 4.5 GHZ (4500 MHZ) to some crazy amount like 5900 MHZ or 5600 MHZ or 5000 MHZ (5.9 GHZ or 5.6 GHZ or 5.0 GHZ) is this a glitch in realtemp 3.70 or my system doing this??? im puzzled!!?

Sounds like a bug with realtemp, try rolling back to 3.69.1 thumb.gif
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Try reloading or reinstalling before u roll back. I started up cpu-z while stress testing the other day and it showed me 60xmulti at 1.44v lachen.gif

Sharing is the first step to solving all the problems of humanity.

cool.gifNvidia 3D Vision Club
post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comatosed View Post

Try reloading or reinstalling before u roll back. I started up cpu-z while stress testing the other day and it showed me 60xmulti at 1.44v lachen.gif

Yeah seems like a glitch LOL. im pretty sure my chip couldn't do 5.9 GHZ @ 1.37 Vcore LOL even for a split second.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 202 (Unique: 167)
Turn off all other monitoring software except for RealTemp and see if this glitch is still there. Also make sure you turn off all of your side bar monitoring gadgets when testing.

The main problem is that the monitoring timers in the Intel CPUs are not a protected resource. That means that any monitoring program can come along and change these timers and that can completely screw up other monitoring programs.

Most users like to run a handful of monitoring apps and compare the results but with shared monitoring timers, this isn't such a good idea.

If you run RealTemp by itself and everything is OK, start adding one additional monitoring app at a time until RealTemp goes buggy. This will help you track down what program is abusing your system monitoring timers by randomly stopping or resetting them. I think Intel frowns upon that but they don't do anything at the hardware level to prevent this from happening.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

IM just wondering if this is Electromagnectic interference causing the CPU to spike to these frequencies. caused by some other device.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 202 (Unique: 167)
Electromagnectic interference is a nice theory but it is definitely not that. I could tell you what monitoring program is causing the problem on your computer but I prefer that users do their own research to get to the bottom of this issue. Do exactly what I said to do in my previous post and you will discover what monitoring software is causing chaos with your internal system timers.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

Electromagnectic interference is a nice theory but it is definitely not that. I could tell you what monitoring program is causing the problem on your computer but I prefer that users do their own research to get to the bottom of this issue. Do exactly what I said to do in my previous post and you will discover what monitoring software is causing chaos with your internal system timers.

Alright Well the only program running in the background was HW Monitor and i have now closed it. The spikes are very random and i think this should resolve it. Is my research correct? I have followed your instructions. And good that EMI isn't the cause as that one had me a bit worried. Good to know it isn't EMI interference causing havoc on the system. But HW Monitor does monitor more things than realtemp so i guess ill just run HW monitor and close real temp as only 1 program is accesing sensors now. Should fix the problem correct?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pent View Post

IM just wondering if this is Electromagnectic interference causing the CPU to spike to these frequencies. caused by some other device.

El SOL!!

You probably just took a direct hit from a CME right inside your case.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangoseal View Post

El SOL!!
You probably just took a direct hit from a CME right inside your case.

please define this EL SOL and CME you speak off. I am rather undecided on whether your joking or trolling or stating an actual plausable scenario as i don't understand what those two phrases mean. A simple google search did not answer said questions. Please explain. Im leaning towards joke but iv just started physics in college so ill listen hehe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in