[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 1099 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Delidded Club / Guide

post #10981 of 34593 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:03 PM
TotallydubbedHD on YT

Rep: 626 (Unique: 349)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King4x4 View Post

Ooooh hooookies.... I went hardcore just for you!

Daily stable [email protected]

I told you not to hardcore - you dirty man! tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

Sorry I don't know any other way to say it.
Please post a pic of your temps under load where core0 is at least 4c higher than core1, not just between any two cores, just the first one 4c higher than the second. Every pic shows core0 lower than core1 except his after the delid.

I completely understand what you mean man.
To be honest - I would be a little surprised when there is a huge difference is core temps.
I found my temps BEFORE delidding more "even" as to what I have now.
I also found my temps more "even" when I put MX2 over the stock antec.

I personally feel it is down to the SPREAD of the thermal paste - which makes perfect sense.

There isn't something to be worried about that said, as other have pointed out.
I also questioned Swag 2 weeks ago - as to why one of my cores would suddenly jump to 43c and then right back down to 27c within a second.
This is down to software glitches and more so load being applied to one out of my 4 cores.

As for WHICH core is higher than the other - it really doesn't matter. It just depends which one is getting used more often and getting hotter.

As for my cores:
Before de-lidding:
From colder to hotter:
Core 4, 1, 3, 2

After de-lidding:
Core 4, 3, 2, 1

If anything the de-lidding meant a more predictable temperature range.
Quote:

Well things make more sense now. I had better temps to begin with than some others, so my drop couldn't' be as much. To test this I went out I got another 3770k and popped it in. No changes, same cooler, same everything. Temps are way higher than my other chip before I delidded it. Before I could do 1.29v at 82c, this new chip is a full 10c hotter.

So if I delid this new one, and end up at the exact same post delid temps of my current chip, I would say "wow I got 25c better." Yet I would be in the exact same place, both chips would have the same post delid temps.

Only way to check that is delid this one too....

Indeed - but DO NOT do it in order to prove a point to yourself or because you want to prove anything here.
Do it because you WANT TO de-lid.
Remember that warranty.

As for temp difference - as others said 10c doesn't seem like much - to give you an idea - I HAVE A 10C DIFFERENCE - and that's with "normal" paste - aka: MX2. Tonight, if I'm not tired - I will open up my PC again - and this time put some CLU (it arrived) - PS. No problems, and cap is perfect as expected.

Then I will realistically be able to give you an answer of MX2 vs CLU.
Now I know others might disagree with me when I say - if MX2 does the same temps then why put CLU - however I would agree with the others when it comes to applying CLU over MX2 on the die, simply because OVER TIME - the MX2 will just become like the stock intel one (possibly a little better, but the temps will gradually go up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 34593 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 75)
Put some CLU and you will see a major drop. Went from noctua on the die to CLU and I got a 25'c drop!

post #10983 of 34593 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 282 (Unique: 145)
If I delid this second chip, is there a market for my first one? What is a perfectly functioning 3770k that has been delidded, lapped, can do [email protected], [email protected], 4.8 at something around 1.41v, worth? Anything, or just keep it on the shelf just in case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10984 of 34593 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 154 (Unique: 118)
Quote:

If I delid this second chip, is there a market for my first one? What is a perfectly functioning 3770k that has been delidded, lapped, can do [email protected], [email protected], 4.8 at something around 1.41v, worth? Anything, or just keep it on the shelf just in case?

Well it's definitely worth something. That's not a bad chip. I'd be interested, depending on the price

Derickwm, EK Employee: "The motherboard will be safer in the blender"

Sunreeper: Yeah dman is so Canadian that he oozes out maple syrup

post #10985 of 34593 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 166 (Unique: 142)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlabrie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

Woke up to this, this morning when testing a 'conservative' 4.6ghz @ 1.4vcore.

p95 custom 3200ram, worker #3 stopped with 1 error at 19 hours 51 minutes.

Max temp 70*C.

;/

Can you take screenshots of your bios settings? There are a few cpu related pages...post em here. I seriously doubt you can't run 4.6 with 1.4v really.

Okay, I did the following to try things:

PWM phase Control: eXtreme Performance
Vcore Voltage Response: Fast (auto/standard/fast)
Vcore LLC: Extreme (turbo is recommended for ambient oc, extreme for ln2)

I also turned up my ram to 1866mhz with it's XMP timings (cl7-10-etc...turns out 2133 CL7 doesnt work, i think when i got it to work before it automatically turned down the timings... or maybe not, im not sure, it just wouldnt boot when i manually set them, ill check later if it'll boot 2133 xmp with auto for timings instead of having manually put them in, w/e).

Anyways, it's really helped out with stability, I think, despite Sin0822 and others saying these features don't mean anything. It's not much, but for example, [email protected], which is instant blue screen, can boot and do a bit of p95 before failing. [email protected], I've been running 20 minutes now ([email protected] is crash in like 5 min).

I'll keep laying with it but it seems messing with those settings helped (i think the ram is just whatever). I mean the VRM on this ud5h is so cool anyways (i got 3 temp sensors in it, its hard to put temp sensors on this vrm heatsink because it's so wide you can't slip one under the heatsink like you can on the ud3h, but i did stick a few inbetween some of the middle/top chokes which tend to be the hottest, which usually run at temps higher than mosfets as i understand it, and they are running 42*C max.

I guess [email protected] isn't really impressive either (then again I haven't tried 5ghz at 1.4vcore yet with these new pwm settings) but already lasting 20+ minutes on a setting that should be instant bsod is great.

Will post pics though.
Quote:

Newb qestions:
Are the cores lined up in order on the die, as is core 0 at the top and core 3 at the bottom? Why are the middle ones (#1, #2) always the hottest?

Yes. It's like this. The right side of this image is at the 'top' of the chip, the gpu at the bottom. That's why people are always screwing up their IMC, have ram issues, etc, when they screw up a delid and scratch the pcb - the edge of the IHS that's closest to the die is the top part. I wish people who scratched their die would say where exactly they ended up scratching, but I imagine that's what they are hitting. It'd be no problem if you scratched up the gpu ^^.

Cores 1-2 can be hottest for many reasons. They are in the middle so maybe they get heated by the stuff around them. Some cores actually get more of a workload, or a higher/lower workload (you might think p95 or ibt is p95/ibt balanced load on all cores, buts even if your increase priority on p95, it's not - background applications is running on some of the cores, which may make them run cooler, or hotter, than the cores taking a full load). I used to think on an old quadcore that 2 of the cores were faster (they would complete more fft passes in 15 minutes in p95, after 24 hours they would be a good couple fft lengths ahead), but then I realized that those two cores were where background apps were focused on.
post #10986 of 34593 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Land of the obscenely expensive hardware
Rep: 350 (Unique: 189)
its a decent chip, but nothing too special.test the imc and see if it boots with three gigglehurtz ram with real loose timings. if it does at least you can get some boints with it. id keep it as a backup...or sell it to dmanstasiu cause hes a good fella
post #10987 of 34593 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM
TotallydubbedHD on YT

Rep: 626 (Unique: 349)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King4x4 View Post

Put some CLU and you will see a major drop. Went from noctua on the die to CLU and I got a 25'c drop!

Yeah I'm starting to think marvels here.
I might be, if not mistaken, one of the few with a reported 35c drop.
If what you and others say is true FOR MY CHIP - then I'm already at -10c....another 20-25c - will be ridiculous. Might just freeze itself whilst it is at it (no don;t get any LN2 ideas now! haha)
Quote:

That's quite good in fact!
Question is what would be the price of it.
Also your market might be "limited" as it is "tampered with"

Definitely not worth leaving on the shelf!
I'll take it off you for free hehe tongue.gif
No but seriously - you coulds ell it - but the price of it, might not be worth selling (as realistically people might be cautious buying a lapped, tampered, de-lidded chip) - with that said, some others might see it as a huge gain, as all the "ground work" (lol pun intended with grounding) is already done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

Cores 1-2 can be hottest for many reasons. They are in the middle so maybe they get heated by the stuff around them. Some cores actually get more of a workload, or a higher/lower workload (you might think p95 or ibt is p95/ibt balanced load on all cores, buts even if your increase priority on p95, it's not - background applications is running on some of the cores, which may make them run cooler, or hotter, than the cores taking a full load). I used to think on an old quadcore that 2 of the cores were faster (they would complete more fft passes in 15 minutes in p95, after 24 hours they would be a good couple fft lengths ahead), but then I realized that those two cores were where background apps were focused on.

Great info right there +rep to you! (not enough people rep these days) - Yeah I didn't damage the IMC on the die - but possibly the IMC "connection" on the PCB.
What is interesting to note is that clamping force plays a huge role here. Not for temps, but for when you screw up like I did - My friend thinks that it is a grounding issue - which explains why the paper worked better than nothing - and more so why the PC didn't boot AT ALL, before Valguar instructed me to ground my PSU.
It all makes sense.
Also the paper, as said by my friend can hold static - which, in that position is extremely dangerous - thus why he said coating it with lacquer might be a better idea than paper. Again I agree with him - just the fan that I don't want to put masking tape over the die.
So what was suggested here, was my trail of thought - spray it somewhere, then dab it on.

Who knows...I might be able to get a perfect chip if I do all of this.

post #10988 of 34593 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 290 (Unique: 201)
Does anyone know if an epoxy adhesive gets bad in the cold and basically stops being an adhesive?

Also, I just received the CPU I sent Intel and 2 capacitors on the bottom were chipped off, the IHS looks like they use a screwdriver to scrape it...

post #10989 of 34593 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I can't convince myself to get the CLP or the CLU, I don't see much in a point if my max temps reach 82c using IBT on air.

It never touches about 65c on gaming/prime95/folding.

I just don't see a point in it seeing that I already have a decently crappy chip.

post #10990 of 34593 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 05:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
Quote:

My point is that I don't see anyone else with a core0 of 4c hotter than core1. Before delid he had relatively normal distribution.

My core 0 and 3 are always the hottest which would kind of make sense to me given that the IMC is above core 0 and the GPU below core 3. I haven't really paid attention to what others' are like.

Cinebench 10.06 @5.0GHz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in