[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 1102 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Delidded Club / Guide

post #11011 of 34590 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
Did it! biggrin.gif

(Second razor helped for the final part getting apart the IHS)
Quote:
OCN name:BaK2BaK
CPU: i5 3570K
on die-TIM: Coollaboratory Liquid Pro
ihs-TIM: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
Mhz gained: -
OC after delid: 4.5GHz
Temp drops: 38°C
CPU-Z validation of max OC: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2680790

Voltage is 1.275 in BIOS (Asrock Z77E-UTX), no offset, but CPU-Z shows 1.296V.
So I guess I am far from a golden chip.

Before:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Die contact: good enough, no need for lapping the inner side of the IHS:

Lapping (wet): from 600, 800, 1200, 2000, to 3000 sand paper grain size:

Mirror effect is here, little blurred area on the low right (see my avatar) but it will do! wink.gif

IHS/NH-C14 contact after lapping:

Not as perfect as would have liked, was expecting a nice red square but I will live with it. Don't want to lap the base of the Nh-C14...

I then used the little brush that comes with CLU for both applying CLP and CLU.
It leaves some traces as you can see, so I guess it works but is not the perfect tool.

CLP on the die (and inner IHS):

CLU ont he IHS (and NH-C14):

After delidding and lapping:

Before and after ambient T° were almost identical, maybe a little warmer for the 2nd test (~19°C).
Min temps are colder on the 2nd test because I run the it at the first boot, while last time I did several tests/reboots before making the screenshot.
Core #2 is still the hottest, but max temp droped down from 98°C to 60°C: minus 38°C!!! IMPRESSIVE!!! lmaosmiley.gif
Core #1 is still the coolest, max temp droped down from 86°C to 52°C. So the max diff between core #1 and #2 is reduced from 12°C to 8°C. Was expecting a better result here, like a 3-4°C diff. I am using the iGPU, dunno... What do you guys think?

I did all the job on a wood table without being grounded, touching a metallic heater from time to time though.
Those antistatic bracelets looks so short I didn't want to be bothered wearing one (plus I had to wait 1 week to get one)
For those using one, where do you attached it?

Unlike many other hunting for speed, I am happy with 4.5GHz and did delid to reduce temps and be able to run the cooler at 9v or even 7V for extra silence.
Will see if I still have room for some extra GHz and staying silent though wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11012 of 34590 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 98)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaK2BaK View Post

Did it! biggrin.gif

(Second razor helped for the final part getting apart the IHS)
Voltage is 1.275 in BIOS (Asrock Z77E-UTX), no offset, but CPU-Z shows 1.296V.
So I guess I am far from a golden chip.

Before: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Die contact: good enough, no need for lapping the inner side of the IHS:

Lapping (wet): from 600, 800, 1200, 2000, to 3000 sand paper grain size: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Mirror effect is here, little blurred area on the low right (see my avatar) but it will do! wink.gif

IHS/NH-C14 contact after lapping: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Not as perfect as would have liked, was expecting a nice red square but I will live with it. Don't want to lap the base of the Nh-C14...

I then used the little brush that comes with CLU for both applying CLP and CLU.
It leaves some traces as you can see, so I guess it works but is not the perfect tool.

CLP on the die (and inner IHS):

CLU ont he IHS (and NH-C14):

After delidding and lapping: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Before and after ambient T° were almost identical, maybe a little warmer for the 2nd test (~19°C).
Min temps are colder on the 2nd test because I run the it at the first boot, while last time I did several tests/reboots before making the screenshot.
Core #2 is still the hottest, but max temp droped down from 98°C to 60°C: minus 38°C!!! IMPRESSIVE!!! lmaosmiley.gif
Core #1 is still the coolest, max temp droped down from 86°C to 52°C. So the max diff between core #1 and #2 is reduced from 12°C to 8°C. Was expecting a better result here, like a 3-4°C diff. I am using the iGPU, dunno... What do you guys think?

I did all the job on a wood table without being grounded, touching a metallic heater from time to time though.
Those antistatic bracelets looks so short I didn't want to be bothered wearing one (plus I had to wait 1 week to get one)

Unlike many other hunting for speed, I am happy with 4.5GHz and did delid to reduce temps and be able to run the cooler at 9v or even 7V for extra silence.
Will see if I still have room for some extra GHz and staying silent though wink.gif

Gratz BaK2BaK, glad it all went well for ya thumb.gif

"minus 38°C!!! IMPRESSIVE!!! lmaosmiley.gif "

that is impressive..very nice, love that smily you used ...lol biggrin.gif
post #11013 of 34590 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 386 (Unique: 312)
So after about a week of regular use, and some folding I have settled on 4.8ghz at 1.38v (measured with multimeter) for my 24/7 oc. Here is a temp shot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11014 of 34590 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 75)
For those who say CLU is excessive...

In my country the custom duties are crazy.... They confiscated one order of CLU and I ordered another... this one got through! thumb.gif

post #11015 of 34590 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by King4x4 View Post

Wow, how many rigs are you going to build with all those?! Thousends?
I needed so little for mine, syringe looks like it is unused! wink.gif
post #11016 of 34590 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 98)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King4x4 View Post

In my country the custom duties are crazy.... They confiscated one order of CLU and I ordered another... this one got through! thumb.gif

they really confiscated it? ..like you never got any of the order?
that would be crazy..
post #11017 of 34590 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 282 (Unique: 145)
After you guys paint the die with CLU, do you put any on the inside of the ihs also? Do you use it on top of your ihs, and do you coat the cooler with it too?
post #11018 of 34590 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

After you guys paint the die with CLU, do you put any on the inside of the ihs also? Do you use it on top of your ihs, and do you coat the cooler with it too?

I put on DIE, inside IHS, top of IHS and on the Cooler - Very very very small amount though.

wheee.gifwheee.gifstun.gif Phase Change Owners Club stun.gifwheee.gifwheee.gif
post #11019 of 34590 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaK2BaK View Post

This is the one I use. I got it from Radio Shack here in the US, but you can find them at most electronics stores or online. I plug mine into the ground receptacle of my power strip or wall outlet. Building codes may vary, from region to region, so be sure your ground point is tied to earth. It also comes with an alligator clip so you can also clip it onto any earth ground point. You can attach the cord to the mat that comes with it, so you have a nice grounded work area to set your chips or circuit boards on. The ground cord is about 10 ft long and wrist strap about 8ft. I can walk all the way across the room with it detached from the mat while still being grounded. I always wear a wrist strap. Even small imperceptible static discharges can cause microscopic pitting within the substrates causing damage over time. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #11020 of 34590 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

This is the one I use. I got it from Radio Shack here in the US, but you can find them at most electronics stores or online. I plug mine into the ground receptacle of my power strip or wall outlet. Building codes may vary, from region to region, so be sure your ground point is tied to earth. It also comes with an alligator clip so you can also clip it onto any earth ground point. You can attach the cord to the mat that comes with it, so you have a nice grounded work area to set your chips or circuit boards on. The ground cord is about 10 ft long and wrist strap about 8ft. I can walk all the way across the room with it detached from the mat while still being grounded. I always wear a wrist strap. Even small imperceptible static discharges can cause microscopic pitting within the substrates causing damage over time. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Cool, thx a lot +rep
I hope I can find a similar kit here, looks very pro!
Till now I've only seen the simple ones having an alligator clip only.
Pics are very talkative, hope I didn't damage anything... rolleyes.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in