[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 1435 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Delidded Club / Guide

post #14341 of 34702 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Man View Post

Neither, you just gotta know what you're doing and how to do it. I've delidded two chips, both with success.

He wasn't talking about the IHS tongue.gif

From what I've read CLU and CLP tend to etch into the Aluminium / Copper due to a chemical reaction. Although this isn't necessarily bad for the temps, it does kinda ruin the IHS / cooler you put on top of it, if you reseat. Which makes me wonder if I'll actually ever use CLU or CLP over AS5, which doesn't etch. thinking.gif

English isn't my mother tongue, excuse my phrasing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14342 of 34702 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 98)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGTy View Post

From what I've read CLU and CLP tend to etch into the Aluminium / Copper due to a chemical reaction. Although this isn't necessarily bad for the temps, it does kinda ruin the IHS / cooler you put on top of it, if you reseat. Which makes me wonder if I'll actually ever use CLU or CLP over AS5, which doesn't etch. thinking.gif

Aluminium yes,
Copper nope..

wouldnt be a good thing if liquid pro/ultra would eat copper ...lol,
no use to bring a product on the market when almost all surfaces you use it on are made of copper..
post #14343 of 34702 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 278 (Unique: 247)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGTy View Post

Aluminium yes,
Copper nope..

wouldnt be a good thing if liquid pro/ultra would eat copper ...lol,
no use to bring a product on the market when almost all surfaces you use it on are made of copper..

It sure does stick, almost seems like is solders itself to the surfaces after a bit of heat gets pumped through it.

Firestrike vs. Similar Systems
FIRESTRIKE EXTREME ULTRA
LittleBitties
(13 items)
PC of the Son.
(9 items)
CPU
ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Gaming-ITX
GPU
ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX Vega 64
RAM
Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3333MHz
Hard Drive
Intel 660p M.2 512GB
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 1000
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Metallic Gear MGNE210 BLACK
Monitor
Viotek GN34C
Keyboard
Corsair K75 LUX
Mouse
Corsair M65 RGB
Mousepad
Corsair "speedmat?"
Audio
AKG K240 ( 1987 )
CPU
AMD Athlon 950
Motherboard
ASRock AB350M
GPU
Zotac GTX 1050Ti OC
RAM
GeIL EVO SPEAR 2x4GB DDR4-2400
Hard Drive
HP EX900 500GB M.2
Power Supply
Corsair CX450M
Cooling
AMD Wraith SPIRE RGB
Case
CM Q300L
Monitor
QNIX 2710
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14344 of 34702 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinoxide View Post

It sure does stick, almost seems like is solders itself to the surfaces after a bit of heat gets pumped through it.

it does stick after a while, but upto a month or maybe a few it will stay liquid,
like any other tim it hardens a bit over time..
but theres a difference between that and eating copper,
"It doesnt bond, more like the fact the gallium in CLP creates an alloy with Aluminum and breaks down the aluminum by destroying the lattice structures in the Al, gallium will also do this with other metals, but copper and nickel are not one of them."
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?162440-Coollabs-Liquid-Pro-Investigated!-Easiest-possible-way-to-remove-included.-56k-warnin

this is what gallium does to Alu,

post #14345 of 34702 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 155 (Unique: 86)
Quote:

it does stick after a while, but upto a month or maybe a few it will stay liquid,
like any other tim it hardens a bit over time..
but theres a difference between that and eating copper,
"It doesnt bond, more like the fact the gallium in CLP creates an alloy with Aluminum and breaks down the aluminum by destroying the lattice structures in the Al, gallium will also do this with other metals, but copper and nickel are not one of them."
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?162440-Coollabs-Liquid-Pro-Investigated!-Easiest-possible-way-to-remove-included.-56k-warnin
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

...hey, VonDutch is back smile.gif - and very right he is, never mind that CL products give a warning right on the package about aluminum...I was going to do my Direct CU ii cards with CL U, but in the end did not because there was a tiny bit if aluminum visible on the die contact area:

post #14346 of 34702 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Guys is it possible that chip just wont last higher voltages ? I can currently go [email protected] and it goes fine for 29 hours in prime but then one worker fails. So I logically set 1.25V and one would think it will be completely stable, but to my surprise, prime itself crash after 8 hours or so. So I might end up with [email protected] again.. But it doesnt make any sense, as I see ppl here having their chips on 1.4V etc., and 1.25V isnt really high
post #14347 of 34702 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Programmer

Rep: 1555 (Unique: 1017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icydead View Post

Guys is it possible that chip just wont last higher voltages ? I can currently go [email protected] and it goes fine for 29 hours in prime but then one worker fails. So I logically set 1.25V and one would think it will be completely stable, but to my surprise, prime itself crash after 8 hours or so. So I might end up with [email protected] again.. But it doesnt make any sense, as I see ppl here having their chips on 1.4V etc., and 1.25V isnt really high

Did you catch my post on this matter. I posted several days ago.

Intel Core i9 9900K HT 5GHz
GIGABYTE Z390 Ultra
AMD ASUS STRIX OC VEGA 64
G-Skill Trident 2x8GB DDR4 4000MHz
Samsung EVO NVM.e 250GB
SeaSonic 1250W Gold
Corsair 900D + Custom Loop.

post #14348 of 34702 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Did you catch my post on this matter. I posted several days ago.

Yes I did, but we were talking about 1.4V. It seems impossible to me that chip could not stand 1.25V, that would be just ridiculous.

PS: SmallFFT test on 1.4V is quite fine, but just blend BSOD immediately. Seems to me as something with RAM, not the chip
post #14349 of 34702 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icydead View Post

ivy is also about working the vcore very carefully,
made me think about something sin0822 said in his guide, how ivy behaves under ln2 etc..
i wouldnt go from 1.235 to 1.25 in one step tho, just stick to the 0.005V increments , and first try 1.240, then1.245...and then 1.25V,
not sure what else there could be wrong with your vcore up, and getting worse results..

Under LN2/DICE: Temperature is more important for high clocks than voltage is when it comes to Ivy Bridge. Also under LN2 higher vcore might not yield a higher clock, as it will add more heat which can have an opposite effect. So while at 1.84v I might do 6.6 GHz if I increase to 1.86 I can only do 6.55, but if I lower the vcore to 1.83v I can still only do 6.55, it is all about working the volts very carefully. I should take a second and note that Ivy Bridge is an extremely tough CPU, it is very hard to kill, however you can kill it if you go above 1.6v on air and ~2.0v on LN2. Ivy Bridge also seems to be more resilient to degradation than Sandy Bridge was, however the heat produced by the CPU can cause degradations when above what Intel recommends.

the way i do my oc's, is find my stable vcore for any oc, then change to offset, see if it is stable,
then i just at 0.005 or 0.010V, and let it run like that, never had problems with it doing it that way,
so i think its strange you cant/couldnt at more vcore smile.gif
post #14350 of 34702 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

ivy is also about working the vcore very carefully,
made me think about something sin0822 said in his guide, how ivy behaves under ln2 etc..
i wouldnt go from 1.235 to 1.25 in one step tho, just stick to the 0.005V increments , and first try 1.240, then1.245...and then 1.25V,
not sure what else there could be wrong with your vcore up, and getting worse results..

Under LN2/DICE: Temperature is more important for high clocks than voltage is when it comes to Ivy Bridge. Also under LN2 higher vcore might not yield a higher clock, as it will add more heat which can have an opposite effect. So while at 1.84v I might do 6.6 GHz if I increase to 1.86 I can only do 6.55, but if I lower the vcore to 1.83v I can still only do 6.55, it is all about working the volts very carefully. I should take a second and note that Ivy Bridge is an extremely tough CPU, it is very hard to kill, however you can kill it if you go above 1.6v on air and ~2.0v on LN2. Ivy Bridge also seems to be more resilient to degradation than Sandy Bridge was, however the heat produced by the CPU can cause degradations when above what Intel recommends.

Well, 1.235V failed after 29 hours. 1.245V gave whea code 19 after 8-9 hours, and with 1.250V prime just crashed after 8 hours. I dont remember if I tried 1.2400V though, but I think I did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in