[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 3458 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Delidded Club / Guide

post #34571 of 34583 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Are you sure about that?

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
All good, thought it was kinda funny actually....

So an easy way to shave off a couple of degree is by lowering your ambient temps. See, ambient temps are the end of all liquid and air coolers (providing chilling is not implemented). In example, if your room is 75f, try and lower that room temp to 70f and you should notice the temp drop on your system. This is probably THE cheapest way to lower temps with your existing system.

However, you DID say that you where not going to de-lid the processor. BUT if you do de-lid, you'll drop more than 1 or 2c in most cases while the stock TIM under the IHS plate doesn't do well. Hence this thread
Yeah I knew that, with my i7-5775C I dropped probably about 20C or so from 4.4GHz using my Corsair h100i. Though I really would consider going bare die on this QX9650 if there was a fool-proof way of delidding a soldered chip. I mean I have seen one of der8aur's videos where I think he delidded a 6950X and It dropped a few degrees off like 5C-6C. Idk just kinda of a weird project to do, mainly because 775 CPU's are cheap if you screw something up . Its mainly difficult because of the 2 dual core dies under the IHS so theres more solder holding it in place than say a 6950X or similar CPU, or at least that's what I think. The only soldered CPU I delidded was an old P4 and I know I killed that but I was also not really trying not to lol.

"In Yorkfield, crossing the Ivy Bridge to get over Coffee Lake, while Ryzen to the challenge with my Broadwell."
LGA 1150
(16 items)
AM4 (Wife's Rig)
(14 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650 4.10GHz (1.48v) 432 x 9.5
Motherboard
EVGA nForce 790i SLI Ultra (132-CK-NF79)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC (2009MHz boost) (+525MHz mem)
RAM
Patriot Signature DDR3 2 x 4GB (8GB) 1726MHz CL9
Hard Drive
Kingston A400 2.5" SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX400
Power Supply
Thermaltake White 80+
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB
Case
Fractal Design Focus G
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (x64)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy RGB
Mouse
Logitec M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-5775C 4.4GHz (1.4v)
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-E/USB 3.1 (LGA 1150)
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked 2.1GHz (boost) 1325MHz GDDR5X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 4 x 8GB (32GB) 2400MHz 11-13-13-31-2T (1.675v)
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850 850W 80+ Gold Efficiency
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Corsair Carbide Clear 400C
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42” HDTV (Temporary)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy (RGB Illuminated)
Mouse
Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
Other
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Other
Xbox One Wireless Controller for Windows w/ Wireless USB dongle
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4
GPU
MSI R9 380 Core: 1110MHz, GDDR5: 1500MHz
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz CL16 2 x 8GB (16GB)
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD
Hard Drive
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Optical Drive
ASUS CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
Cooling
Wraith Spire AM4 Cooler
Case
DEEPCOOL ATX Case Kendomen TI
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung 24" 1080p curved
Keyboard
Standard Dell wired keyboard from the early 2000's
Mouse
Logitech Standard Wired Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34572 of 34583 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 521 (Unique: 293)
portable ACs have gone way down in price

I'm actually planning on buying one when the hurricane sales come around.
post #34573 of 34583 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:56 AM
FX-5000

Rep: 62 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilightRavens View Post
All good, thought it was kinda funny actually....

So an easy way to shave off a couple of degree is by lowering your ambient temps. See, ambient temps are the end of all liquid and air coolers (providing chilling is not implemented). In example, if your room is 75f, try and lower that room temp to 70f and you should notice the temp drop on your system. This is probably THE cheapest way to lower temps with your existing system.

However, you DID say that you where not going to de-lid the processor. BUT if you do de-lid, you'll drop more than 1 or 2c in most cases while the stock TIM under the IHS plate doesn't do well. Hence this thread [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Yeah I knew that, with my i7-5775C I dropped probably about 20C or so from 4.4GHz using my Corsair h100i. Though I really would consider going bare die on this QX9650 if there was a fool-proof way of delidding a soldered chip. I mean I have seen one of der8aur's videos where I think he delidded a 6950X and It dropped a few degrees off like 5C-6C. Idk just kinda of a weird project to do, mainly because 775 CPU's are cheap if you screw something up [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]. Its mainly difficult because of the 2 dual core dies under the IHS so theres more solder holding it in place than say a 6950X or similar CPU, or at least that's what I think. The only soldered CPU I delidded was an old P4 and I know I killed that but I was also not really trying not to lol.
I only know one guy thats delidded enough processors to help a guy like you with a solder chip. Me.
My last soldered delid was tge 2700x. Ive done multiple Phenom and FX chips successfully. 16 in total if memory serves well today.
I have a ryzen 1200? 1300? On the way, thats getting a delid. Have a 1400 that needs it too.... Doesn't need it, I just like delidding.

But when delid a soldered chip, its best to run without IHS plate on a custom loop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34574 of 34583 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:22 PM
Are you sure about that?

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
I only know one guy thats delidded enough processors to help a guy like you with a solder chip. Me.
My last soldered delid was tge 2700x. Ive done multiple Phenom and FX chips successfully. 16 in total if memory serves well today.
I have a ryzen 1200? 1300? On the way, thats getting a delid. Have a 1400 that needs it too.... Doesn't need it, I just like delidding.

But when delid a soldered chip, its best to run without IHS plate on a custom loop.
Yeah that's the plan in the future possibly, I used to have an old 3770K that I ran bare die at like.... 5.4GHz or 5.6GHz if my memory serves me (for benching) but those are cake to delid vs having to heat up the IHS and such to get solder off, which I am pretty sure you know since you have probably done a fair amount more of them than me . But for the most part have semi-retired from that because it got expensive killing top of the line mainstream socket (at the time) hardware for a few months until i'd have to get a new one. It'd just be fun to actually delid this thing in all honesty, without killing it of course lol.

"In Yorkfield, crossing the Ivy Bridge to get over Coffee Lake, while Ryzen to the challenge with my Broadwell."
LGA 1150
(16 items)
AM4 (Wife's Rig)
(14 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650 4.10GHz (1.48v) 432 x 9.5
Motherboard
EVGA nForce 790i SLI Ultra (132-CK-NF79)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC (2009MHz boost) (+525MHz mem)
RAM
Patriot Signature DDR3 2 x 4GB (8GB) 1726MHz CL9
Hard Drive
Kingston A400 2.5" SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX400
Power Supply
Thermaltake White 80+
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB
Case
Fractal Design Focus G
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (x64)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy RGB
Mouse
Logitec M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-5775C 4.4GHz (1.4v)
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-E/USB 3.1 (LGA 1150)
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked 2.1GHz (boost) 1325MHz GDDR5X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 4 x 8GB (32GB) 2400MHz 11-13-13-31-2T (1.675v)
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850 850W 80+ Gold Efficiency
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Corsair Carbide Clear 400C
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42” HDTV (Temporary)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy (RGB Illuminated)
Mouse
Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
Other
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Other
Xbox One Wireless Controller for Windows w/ Wireless USB dongle
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4
GPU
MSI R9 380 Core: 1110MHz, GDDR5: 1500MHz
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz CL16 2 x 8GB (16GB)
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD
Hard Drive
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Optical Drive
ASUS CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
Cooling
Wraith Spire AM4 Cooler
Case
DEEPCOOL ATX Case Kendomen TI
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung 24" 1080p curved
Keyboard
Standard Dell wired keyboard from the early 2000's
Mouse
Logitech Standard Wired Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #34575 of 34583 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:56 PM
FX-5000

A rule of thumb I use for de-lidding. Never heat the IHS plate for more than 60 seconds. if the solder isn't melted within 60 seconds, you will kill the processor. With a Med to High flame with my Power Probe solder torch that's about the time it takes. usually 40-50 seconds. If the room is quiet enough, you'll actually "hear" the solder let go.
The nice thing about AMD IHS plates is that they are large and rather tall. I use a heat sink on the pins. Hold the PCB with a model vice and clamp a pair of vice grips onto the plate. I only use just enough force with the vice so that the cpu stays pins down onto the heatsink with the weight of the vice grips attatched hands free. Once the solder melts, I just pull straight up and the plate comes right off. With AMD chips a heat sink under the pins is a must. i won't tell how I learned that the hard way 'whistles"
But yea, that's pretty much my secret above. pretty much exactly how I remove soldered IHS plates. Super easy and super quick. If I didn't need to cut the glue, it would literally take me 1 minute per de-lid. but throw in cutting glue, removing solder and lapping the core a bit.... more like 1 hours or more. haha.

post #34576 of 34583 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 56)
A rule of thumb I use for de-lidding. Never heat the IHS plate for more than 60 seconds. if the solder isn't melted within 60 seconds, you will kill the processor. With a Med to High flame with my Power Probe solder torch that's about the time it takes. usually 40-50 seconds. If the room is quiet enough, you'll actually "hear" the solder let go.
The nice thing about AMD IHS plates is that they are large and rather tall. I use a heat sink on the pins. Hold the PCB with a model vice and clamp a pair of vice grips onto the plate. I only use just enough force with the vice so that the cpu stays pins down onto the heatsink with the weight of the vice grips attatched hands free. Once the solder melts, I just pull straight up and the plate comes right off. With AMD chips a heat sink under the pins is a must. i won't tell how I learned that the hard way 'whistles"
But yea, that's pretty much my secret above. pretty much exactly how I remove soldered IHS plates. Super easy and super quick. If I didn't need to cut the glue, it would literally take me 1 minute per de-lid. but throw in cutting glue, removing solder and lapping the core a bit.... more like 1 hours or more. haha.
Neat, was the gain worth it?

4.5 Ghz i7 920devil-smiley-019.gif

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." GWB thumb.gif
post #34577 of 34583 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
4690K 4.5GHz @ 1.27v with 32GB RAM @ 2133MHz. IntelBurnTest 10x run on Maximum - max core temp of 85C. Some stability tests included as well. POVRay benchmark, OCCT 5min. LDS, x264v2 five loops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4690K 4.5GHz 35 cache 1.27v core 2133MHz 32GB RAM.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	260200  

post #34578 of 34583 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 365 (Unique: 260)
Quote: Originally Posted by suprc4 View Post
Delidded my i9 9900k last night with the der8auer tool(Which der8auer claims is 100% impossible to kill the cpu). Cleaned it up and put it in with the der8auer oc frame so I could do direct die. I was getting error code 23 on my aorus master pro and the computer would just boot cycle it wouldnt stay on. I'm thinking a short somewhere? I tried putting back on the original socket tensioner and ihs just to see if it was the mounting pressure that was not enough from the direct die but I get the same error code too. The error code is not listed in the gigabyte manual or anywhere online. I tried only one stick of ram in the 1st and 2nd ram slot but I haven't tried the 3rd or 4th yet because I ran out of time but I will try that later today. Has anyone else had this happen before? The cpu doesn't seem like its dead because otherwise the motherboard would show the error code for the cpu and it would just stay on and not boot cycle. Also I couldn't figure out how to get all of the black silicone off of the die? I used a plastic credit card to scrape most of it off, could that be an issue too?
I haven't seen you post back here for 2 months. What was the resolution of the issue? Was the CPU gone?
And removing the leftover solder is easily done with the quicksilver kit that rockitcool sells. But you have to leave it on awhile and also work it in and scrub it with a Q tip. I delidded my 9900K with the rockit 89 kit and got all of the quicksilver off, but it took awhile, and was slow. Then you can use their fitz(?) metal polisher to get it nice and shiny. If you wind up with some super hardened mark or something that simply won't come off, you can try 3000 grit sandpaper, but be very careful and wary of damaging the backside. If there are any scratches on the die, however, you may have to actually truly sand it with the way der8auer mentioned in his video.

What was harder than cleaning the solder was cleaning the Intel RTV or whatever they used black glue off the PCB. Now THAT was scary, even using a credit card that took an amazingly long time and required being careful not to damage the PCB or break something off the back.

If you didn't damage any motherboard pins, then the only thing I can think of is that you static shocked something or damaged a SMD or something on the backside. Since you were using the direct die frame and I've seen people have problems with POST failures and that frame, I would see if you can test it in another motherboard and re-lidded with LM.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #34579 of 34583 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:15 AM
FX-5000

Quote: Originally Posted by rhkcommander959 View Post

Neat, was the gain worth it?
Almost always.

post #34580 of 34583 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 17)
(I am sure I might have posted here 4-5 years ago, when I attempted to delid my 4770k. I had a knife slip scare and stopped my delid attempt, and thought I destroyed the CPU, but I was lucky that I didn't cause any damage and that the CPU worked flawlessly)

Anyway, today, after so many years I tried it again out of boredom. I must have seen 9000 videos of people delidding with razors, and even a vid with someone delidding with the plastic package from his CPU, and another guy using a small plastic card. The idea was that you only need a tiny 2mm cut in one edge, and then use the card and do the rest. Sounds totally trivial, right?

Anyway, to make a long story short: I really tried today with a small exacto knife just to cut a small 2mm slit in the side. NO DICE. I tried several times and took my time, doing exactly what I must have seen a million times in videos. The black silicone is just so rock hard I wasn't able to even get into it, whatsoever. So I aborted that attempt too. I figure there is no other way than using a tool, fortunately you can now get these mini vice delid tools from China for €5 where people had success with. If I am bored again I might just get one of those, but not sure whether I care with such an old CPU. I was sooo convinced I get it right today...grrrrr....

Bios modding and flashing until the EEPROM smokes!! Yay!!

Last edited by flexy123; 03-25-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in