Upgrading CPU in my Lenovo with Intel GM45/47 Express chipset. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Upgrading CPU in my Lenovo with Intel GM45/47 Express chipset.

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 61)
From the research I have done, the best CPU that this chipset can handle is the QX9300. I'm not really sure what the bios Lenovo has on it will allow for though. I don't know if it will allow for a Quad Core CPU, higher than 1066MHz bus, or higher than 6M L2 cache.

BTW, my laptop is a Lenovo T400 2767-AG3. It came with an Intel P8600 CPU.

The highest CPU within my budget that I could get is between the P9800 and the P9400. I would not want one lower than the P9400. My budget is about $30 give or take a few bucks.

Intel GM45 Express CPU support list: Click on "Compatible Products".

CURRENTLY IN A FIGHT AGAINST PANCREATIC TUMORS!
If I am not online for a few days, this is the reason.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Sacrifice Chickens To Me!

Rep: 1340 (Unique: 998)
The issue you may end up running into here is the fact your T400 may not be able to cool those chips.

I would say go for and try it out with the P9400 since its TDP is the same as your old chip. Though I am not sure how the laptop's bios will like the upgrade.

Only fools do not BACKUP their DATA!.
"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of expertise."
-
looniam ~ there's only one thing left to do:sacrifice a chicken to call upon the great Lord Xeb

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

The issue you may end up running into here is the fact your T400 may not be able to cool those chips. Though with their lower TDP, it may not be a problem.
I would say go for and try it out with the P9400. Though I am not sure how the laptop's bios will like the upgrade.

I had thought about that too.

Maybe I will upgrade to double my L2 cache from 3M to 6M instead of upgrading for a faster core speed. Would it be worth it?

Maybe I should just upgrade to the Intel T9400. Core speed will increase from 2.40GHz to 2.53GHz but L2 cache will double to 6M. So that small increase in core speed shouldn't create too much extra heat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 125 (Unique: 104)
I really don't see any point in upgrading as you're mostly not going to notice any significant difference.

Doubling the cache is as good as not upgrading. A core speed bump will give you better performance.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

The issue you may end up running into here is the fact your T400 may not be able to cool those chips.
I would say go for and try it out with the P9400 since its TDP is the same as your old chip. Though I am not sure how the laptop's bios will like the upgrade.

The TDP is the same on most all of them that I have been looking at. Like the T9800, which is the one that I would really like to get.

Using XS Bench on RealTemp, this P8600 CPU maxed out temps just under 60C. I know the XS Bench doesn't run long enough to get accurate temps but it is a start. I am downloading Prime95 now.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Okay, so I ran Prime95 Large FFTs for about 10-15 minutes. RealTemp reported maximum core temps of 88C on each core.

So I should probably not upgrade the core speed by much. I think the T9400 or T9600 will be okay. It's not like I'm stress testing on it all the time or even playing CPU intensive games. I'm sure the temps will be alright.

From doing some research it appears there is a Lenovo T400 laptop similar to mine that comes with the T9600 CPU Look under Thinkpad T Series, left column, about halfway down the page.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:33 PM

hmm... you have a point. Then i don't really see any reason why it wouldn't work, though I would proceed with caution.

"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of expertise."
-
looniam ~ there's only one thing left to do:sacrifice a chicken to call upon the great Lord Xeb

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sorry about the double posts.

I really don't know a whole lot about what it takes to make a laptop faster and what components you should upgrade first. Don't get me wrong though, I am very skilled at completely disassembling all types of laptops and other small equipment like handheld gaming systems(DS), tablet computers, etc....

I'm just not sure what I should upgrade on my laptop first. I'm looking at upgrading the CPU of course, probably to a T9600 or T9400.

I am also wanting to upgrade from 2x2GB DDR3-1066MHz to a total of 8GB(2x4GB).

Intel states that the GM45 Express chipset actually supports: DDR2-667,800MHz and DDR3-800,1066MHz.. Would I be able to put DDR3-1333MHz in it anyway and the bios would just pick an SPD profile for a 1066MHz setting? Or would I be taking a chance with any 1333MHz RAM working in my laptop? The reason I would rather get the 1333MHz is because I can find it cheaper than the DDR3-1066. I've checked my bios settings and it does not allow me to adjust settings such as RAM speed or timings. If it would run DDR3-1333 RAM at 1066MHz by default, which DDR3-1333MHz should I get? LOL

Oh, and on a side note...Why do they call it PC3-10600, PC3-10660, or PC3-10666? That would be implying that those different types run at DDR3-1325, DDR3-1332.5, and DDR3-1333.25. For true DDR3-1333MHz, it should be called PC3-10664.
I never have understood why they label DDR3-1333 in those ways.

I'm thinking I should upgrade the RAM first to 8GB because I have Win Server 2008 R2 x64 installed and I am running virtual machines with hyper-v to practice with different server roles and features for my Window Server 2008 Infrastructure and Active Directory classes. Too bad I can't get 16Gb RAM. I might end up having to build another desktop with 16-32GB RAM specifically for this use.

Thanks in advance for any advice about whether I should get DDR3-1066MHz or DDR3-1333MHz.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

hmm... you have a point. Then i don't really see any reason why it wouldn't work, though I would proceed with caution.

That I will do. I will probably go ahead and put some really good TIM on it instead of just some generic junk and go ahead and replace the CPU fan with a new one so it gets maximum airflow as if it were a new laptop.

I wonder if any companies make aftermarket laptop CPU heatsinks and fans? Not for overclocking but it sure would be nice so that you don't have to worry about heat when upgrading to the best supported CPU for a particular laptop. The only thing I can think of to make the heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink better is by lapping it.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Unfortunately not. Laptops have all their innards made to fit. There is not change parts out.

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in