Overclock.net banner

[OFFICIAL] 775 to 771 mod Club!

274K views 975 replies 235 participants last post by  Soapman 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Official 775 to 771 modification club! This is a club that represents OCN members that have modified their 775 Motherboard's to fit 771 Intel CPUs!
Getting more Official daily!
Don't have your board/CPU yet? Add the signature anyway!

Updates!
We are working on getting an updated list on the boards that work, and with which CPU(s) that were tested.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AlXMfOR9KoNwdENxM1Z4bkMxVXpWZFVqbE1lMFEzUVE&single=true&gid=0&output=html&widget=true

Tutorials
You may want to buy these adapters, they make it easier, and they don't require adhesive (pre applied) or cutting!

Individual adapters here
Coming soon!

Q&A
Quote:
i'm curious where you got the "sticker" to make the mod work
(Asked by cdoublejj)
You can find the part here.

Success Stories
Quote:
For your list of success stories. I hope this helps others in the community. thumb.gif

So glad I found this. It has been the coolest mod I have ever done.

I have success with a E5430 on with my MSI G31M3- L V2. Windows 8.1 Enterprise I have included both pre and post installs. I am also running the optimized bios settings. I made no modifications to my bios, I ran the live update from within windows prior to the mod. I did the upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the install of the proc.

I am also running bare bones stock heat sink. Temps don't go above 73 degrees C.

I haven't done any stress testing or bench marking with it. (I am not going to attempt any over clocking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB13 View Post

Bump for this thread!

These guys showed up this afternoon and I got to installing them

They are somewhat like the ones OP had, but they do not need to be cut and have adhesive pre applied. Peel the adhesive, mod the socket, and drop it in. Bam, quad core awesomeness!

Booted up no problem on my Foxconn G31 board.

Its running a bit warm, but I will pick up a new heatsink sometime soon and hopefully overclock it a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrad View Post

Awesome news i fortunately got lucky and my X5460 posted right away with bios P32 on my Evga 680i
biggrin.gif
wheee.gif
, I'm going to install it on my 780i since it overclocks better. I wasnt expecting it to work though on the 680i since it didnt officially support 45nm Yorkfield quad cores.

LL

LL

LL

900x900px-LL-322f2b54_two.jpeg

900x900px-LL-e2e65b1d_five.jpeg

Going to start testing overclocks with it next to see how high it can go, i wonder if it will overclock as nice as the Q6600s.

Thanks so much to all who contributed to this thread
cheers.gif

Official Signature:

post-flame-small.gif
I have a 771 CPU in my 775 Motherboard!
post-flame-small.gif

Code:

Code:

Code:
:clock: [B][SIZE=4][URL=http://www.overclock.net/t/1427554/official-775-to-771-mod-club]I have a 771 CPU in my 775 Motherboard![/URL][/SIZE][/B] :clock:

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll follow along until I can get joined up! Great stuff to bring some old gear back to life
thumb.gif

#5 ·
#7 ·
Hi! My very first post on overclock, just thought I'd say hi and that I'm excited about this and the fact that it's actually a current thread that I can participate in. I will be ordering/winning a board and CPU to test just as soon as rent is taken care of. Can't wait!
thumb.gif

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelace43 View Post

Hi! My very first post on overclock, just thought I'd say hi and that I'm excited about this and the fact that it's actually a current thread that I can participate in. I will be ordering/winning a board and CPU to test just as soon as rent is taken care of. Can't wait!
thumb.gif
Welcome to OCN!
thumb.gif

#10 ·
#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanlan View Post

I have a couple 775 boards lying around, and excuse the noob question, but what's the point of this? Are 771 CPUs better?
Well I had a lga 775 q6700, no complaints. However I was able to sell that for lil over $60 and buy an adapter for about $5 and the lga771 e5540 (same thing as 775 q9550) for $25. The q9550 still goes for about $100-$125 on ebay. I'm sure there are many examples, however lga 771 seem to be so much cheaper than their 775 counterparts. Probably due to the popularity of the 775 socket and the fact 771 is pretty much a very out-dated server platform, not too many people would have these boards lying around.

Also there are other things like perhaps they are binned better so they could oc better/ less heat.

So on the cheap you could have a $30 quad core 45nm that would of otherwise costed $125 or so.

Besides, its almost adds a little epeen to the rig to say you have an different socketed processor in that motherboard.

#15 ·
I'm all in on this mod. i live for cheap power!! I am looking at this mobo (because I don't see any other ones available new) gigabyte GA-41MT and it supports ddr3. I've already ordered a 5460 off The Bay and am pretty excited about this. Is this a good mobo choice or is there something better available for oc'ing? Interested to see how well the Xeon runs with a 7950 for starters.

#16 ·
Still no confirmation on the GA 965p DS3 Rev 3.3.
frown.gif
I've heard that it "should", but no confirmations yet. Bummer.
frown.gif

#18 ·
Thank you OPie, this is fun, I was getting bored with my rig, at least I'll have fun trying to do this
biggrin.gif

Oh, my first post here too...Hi all.

Current rig:
Asus P5Q Pro :\ it is what it is..
8BG G-Skill PC8800
Wolfdale E8400 at 3.6GHz on aftermarket air.

Just ordered a Xeon E5450 for $30 and a sticker from here

This is gonna be fun, thank you all for giving me a project!

#19 ·
I just got an E5450 running on my board, yay!

Now I need to remember how to mod the bios... cpu microcode? been too long. I need "To unleash the full power of" my Xeon...
biggrin.gif

#20 ·
Where is everyone?
Well I spent the last few hours toying with voltages, got it +4GHz and able to super-pi all options no errors..
I may be a little behind the times with my choice of benchmark but it was quick and free.
My max temps bothers me a little.. I'm cooling with a Thermalright Ultra 120 with a single 120mm case fan, nothing pretty..

any suggestions on getting rid of the post message "To unleash the CPU install Bios" ??
I have some hack tools?? cbrom and my bios, no fear at hosing my bios, I have a couple of pre programmed chips just in case..

Screenies

#21 ·
I wish I could help with the BIOS modding, but a 4GHz 5450 is very nice
thumb.gif

#22 ·
Hey g3p0, Well, I am kinda still trying to figure this out, myself. You Do indeed have the latest BIOS release. I downloaded the .rom zipfile from this page: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q_PRO/#support then extracted and opened with HxD (hex editor) . Searched for your CPUID - I believe that you should be able to delete a KNOWN CPUID and replace with the microcode from an ASUS (as similar as possible) BIOS for your Xeon. You may also have to resize the BIOS .rom or it will give you CRC errors.

If I stumble into any better info or tutorial then I will be sure to come back and post.

Sorry if I have any wrong info in here. FEEL FREE to help out, guys.

EDIT* Okay, I saw a guy on another forum that updated his ASUS BIOS using MMTOOL v3.19 and patched it with the latest Intel microcode. I do happen to have the microcode in this update: www.wholesale-pc.com/microcode-20130906.tgz ... MMTOOL should be easy to find. GOOD LUCK and update us on the progress.

#23 ·
Got it! -link-
Thanks, now it's officially an unauthorized 771 board, now if I could just rewire the socket itself instead of sticking some tape in there.

#25 ·
I found myself a E5450 and plugged it into the xfx 680i lt board I have replacing the E6550 core 2 duo.

Just getting those pins swapped was a pain. I had enough and just risked it. Tomorrow I'll up the picture that I took of the connection. Good news was that it booted and the bios recognized it. Gotta place everything back to run it longer though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.