[OFFICIAL] 775 to 771 mod Club! - Page 98 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[OFFICIAL] 775 to 771 mod Club!

post #971 of 976 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 PM
771on775 user,Complainer

Rep: 104 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by phyrexiancure View Post
I have a SE7230NH1-E serverboard with an Intel E7230 Chipset. The board officially supports Pentium D & 4's but I want to upgrade it to a Core 2 processor. Are there microcode mods similar to the Socket 771 Xeon bios mods for 775 boards. Here's my bios files with the release notes, thank you.
Here is a page with the directions and files that contain both the 771 AND the 775 cpu microcodes. Not sure how well it'll work 4 you because it looks like U have an intel bios & they're pretty much locked. https://www.delidded.com/lga-771-xeon-microcode/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #972 of 976 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 13)
I ran my Dell Optiplex 380, X5470, 8GB DDR3,GTX1060 3GB at Superposition. I did OC the GPU, and bumped the CPU to 3.37GHz. Scored 8115 in 1080P Medium chart.
https://benchmark.unigine.com/leader...le-gpu/page-25
It's interesting to see all the newer i5, i7, and Ryzens at the same level. Some with the same GPU.
But still, it IS on page 25 of their 3rd tier leaderboard. I paid $20 for the computer and aside from the GPU I had the rest of the stuff laying around.

Dell Dimension E520 [email protected]
Delta GFB1212VHG, 8GB DDR2-800
R9-285 ITX 2GB DDR5, 240GB SSD
http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
post #973 of 976 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Mobo-Voltage Settings for X5470

Hi guys

Mobo is MSI P43neo, CPU is X5470, RAM are 2 sets of KHX6400D2/4G, so 8GB altogether.

I upgraded my pc some six months ago and went from Q8300 to X5470. Applying the sticker, adjusting the microcode and flashing the Bios was a piece of cake and from the beginning I ran the CPU at 4GHz with the board running at a max FSB setting of 400MHz. Of course I upgraded the heat exchanger as well and put in a tower cooler, so I do not have any problems with the temperature of the cores. After running the CPU stress test that comes with GPU-Z, after running the Intel Burn Test and after running the system for half a year without any problem, I was quite sure that indeed I do not have a problem.

After trying to run Prime95 a few days ago, however, it immediately crashed (Prime, not Windows) with indicating a hardware failure. The first thing I did was to set the FSB to 333MHz. As a result, Prime95 runs properly now but as I do want to let the system run at full speed: could you please help me with the voltages settings I would have to set in Bios?

CPU voltage I would set to 1.25 and DRAM Voltage I would set to 1.4 (please correct me if I am wrong), as indicated in another thread that I have found earlier, however, do I have to worry about the other settings listed in Bios (CPU GTL REF0 und REF1, MCH Voltage, VTT FSB Voltage and ICH Voltage)?

At the moment, all values are set to AUTO.

Thanks
Theo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #974 of 976 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:51 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
IMO forget trying to get "Prime Stable".. I don't argue that it is a high level of stability however the truth is that the workload is completely unrealistic and represents the maximum you could possibly ever load a CPU... If you ran just fine for a year without "Prime stable" then delete Prime, enjoy the overclock and never look back (of course if you had issues, that's another story)

If you insist, typically you'll need to isolate what is causing your instability.. MEMORY (more often than not, this is the culprit), CPU, BUS SPEED, THERMALS.. Set your memory timing manually per spec of the DIMMs. Try 2T initially. Reduce the memory speed way down lower than it is rated for.... essentially as low as you can go... (ideally unlink the memory from the bus). This can help you determine if an overclock is memory related or not. Memory tweaking should always be the LAST thing you fiddle with and the first thing to cause instability. Focus on getting the best BUS/CPU overclock combination and then introduce memory tweaking days/weeks later. 1.25v is barely enough to get things stable enough for a decent overclock. Increasing the CPU voltage is where you would start. Use LLC if your board has the option. You can go up to 1.4v on CPU as long as you monitor temps and keep them below 80C. I jammed 1.4v-1.45v into mine for about 8 years without issue or degradation but I was also on water. Watching the temps under load is key.

Keep in mind the memory controller is part of the Northbridge so as you push speeds it is common to have to increase the NB voltage a little bit also.

It's trial an error, grab a notepad and document each change.

PS. Forget Prime95.. delete it. Lol.. I chased "phantom" problems for countless hours (specifically with my X5470) and it was very simple.. The solution was that if I wanted "Prime stable" I had to significantly reduce my "otherwise stable with EVERYTHING else" overclock just to pass Prime.. Hours and hours and hours of banging my head.. for what? I never had a problem with anything else so I learned to stop chasing ghosts

Good luck!

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #975 of 976 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 13)
Regarding P95, on a 4 core CPU I kill off one thread of P95 right at the start and just run 3. It loads all 4 cores at about 80-85% which seems realistic to me.I get a better overclock and the stability is good enoufg for gaming and benchmarking purposes. For serious workstation apps. don't overclock, and run the full test load.

Dell Dimension E520 [email protected]
Delta GFB1212VHG, 8GB DDR2-800
R9-285 ITX 2GB DDR5, 240GB SSD
http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
post #976 of 976 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I am aware that Prime does stress the CPU at a totally unrealistic level but I was chasing the cause of an instability.

My system kept crashing when gaming. I immediately suspected the GPU, every benchmark stressing it worked just fine, though. Took me some time to verify the GPUs bios as the culprit and after discovering an undocumented switch on it and going to the backup-bios, the system is stable when gaming, now.

Prime went on crashing so I increased the CPU voltage to 1.315V and the FSB to 1.4V. Moreover, I have altered the gtl/vtt/mch settings a bit so I was able to slightly lower the cpu voltage. It is much more stable now, with the temperature gauge rising to 72°C after a few minutes of Prime.

You jammed 1.45V into your X5470 without degradation for eight years? Good to know that there still is a slight tolerance but I will stop meddling with the settings, as the system is working quite fine and my heat exchanger apparently has reached its limit, too.

Seems that the increase of the voltage setting was necessary, though. Even when the only other thing that is working stable now is Prime, which I will stop using . I am planning to build a completely new system over the next couple of weeks anyway, so anything I do with my X5470 is purely just for fun

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in