Erratic GFlops (?) - 980X/E760/12Gb Mushkin - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Erratic GFlops (?) - 980X/E760/12Gb Mushkin

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0

Started testing to find my max bclk and have been running into some strange issues. My GFlops are all over the place and I'm getting periodic spikes in core usage . I'm running the latest LinX and all passes are finishing without error. I haven't even added any voltage yet. I thought maybe I was running out of power as I'm only using a a Corsair HX650 but since I'm not even at stock clocks so there really shouldn't be much draw yet. I'm at a loss and chomping at the bit. I want to see what this chip can do and have a couple weeks off over the holidays. Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 PM
new to OCN?

Rep: 1536 (Unique: 924)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

I'll give it a shot but I don't understand what hyper-threading would affect at this point. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Good call. Straightened my GFlops out and actually raised them by about 5. Please tell me why HT would cause issues at such a low clock speed. Also, any insight as to what I need to do to get to the overclock I want and to be able to do it with HT on. I have clocked multiple 920's and a 970 and have never had to turn HT off. Usually I see people turning HT off when temps are getting out of control at higher clocks.

Ok, I see why HT produces lower GFlops(used Google). Can I be safe to say that I can continue my overclock process with hyperthreading on to achieve my desired stable overclock and worry more about finishing my stress tests error free - and not worry so much about GFlop variation?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 201 (Unique: 166)
When you are benching with HT enabled, keep a close eye on the RealTemp multiplier being reported. If the C0% is over 99% and the multiplier starts to slowly decrease when stress testing, that means your CPU is turbo throttling. If this is the case, you need to go into the bios and increase your turbo power limits. If the power limit is set too low, the CPU will reduce the amount of turbo boost so long term it doesn't exceed the power limit that you set in the bios.

The multiplier determined by RealTemp is extremely accurate. Trust what it is telling you. Turn on the Log File option, set that to 1 second and Copy and Paste your data to www.pastebin.com and post a link here so I can have a look.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

I will do as you say as time allows. I get up at 3am so my day is usually pretty short with mandatory overtime. I'm left with the weekends....mad.gif

I do not understand what you mean by "turbo throttling". I have two "turbo" settings in my bios and both are disabled when I start benching.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 201 (Unique: 166)
The default multiplier for a Core i7-980X is 25. If your maximum multiplier is set to 25 then you don't have to worry about turbo throttling because you are not using the Turbo Boost feature of this CPU.

Next time you run LinX with HT on, just keep an eye on both the RealTemp reported Load as well as the RealTemp multiplier. When LinX is working hard, the Load should be at 100.0% and the reported multiplier should remain steady. In your first LinX run where you went from 51 GFlops down to 36 GFlops, that tells me your CPU was probably throttling during the second run. If this is the case, the RealTemp data will help confirm what is going on.

CPUs can throttle externally where you will be able to clearly see the MHz decrease but they can also throttle internally. When this happens, most of the popular monitoring programs will tell you that everything is fine but low benchmark results will confirm that something is definitely not right. A big drop in GFlops from test 1 to test 2 is a clear sign of this. Here's some more information about throttling.

https://www.overclock.net/t/1438732/event-viewer-vs-intels-etu-for-reporting-thermal-throttling#post_21104733

When significantly overclocking, some X58 motherboards struggle to provide enough power to the CPU socket. This can prevent the CPU from running at full speed during LinX testing.

If you are busy during the week, no problem. I will check back next weekend to see how your testing went. smile.gif

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Gonna work on getting a new psu also. I just ran through a power calculator and I'm flirting with disaster - even before the overclock, I am looking at pulling almost 660w. Thanks for the assist thus far. wink.gif

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

New psu on it's way wink.gif

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Psu will be here tomorrow. I decided to run a few passes of LinX since I formatted last weekend - just for the heck of it. GFlops went up a little but are still erratic. I actually hit 62 in the first pass then it dropped to 52 in the next. Both passes showed a drop in the load produced by LinX. I was watching Real Temp the whole time and the load dropped down to 73%. The next pass was down to 85%. Both passes, I was also watching the multiplier/core speed/bus speed - there were no changes. It - the drop - only occurred in the load. Hopefully, the new psu will solve this. If not, I'll be needing to investigate elsewhere. Ideas???

Gonna see what Throttle Stop says...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in