The Intel Devil's Canyon Owners Club - Page 2285 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The Intel Devil's Canyon Owners Club

Old 01-20-2019, 02:57 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

It seems ram related because it only happens when the ram is stressed but happens regardless of where the ram is set. SmallFFT shouldn't run very long on an unstable core, usually it will crash in minutes if not, seconds.
I stress one thing at a time, ram 1333, cache x40 then I go for core, that's the absolute basics.
SmallFFT will run at x48 with 1.32v if the ram is set to 1333 or 2400.
Blend will crash at seemingly random times no matter where the ram is set. The only thing I can do to change it is to apply more vcore. I shouldn't need to do that to get only 4.7Ghz because this CPU ran 4.7 for years with only 1.22 with no delid...with a custom loop but still, that's a huge difference. I'm using the exact same ram too.

SmallFFT simply shouldn't be able to run for 2 hours if a core isn't stable and if SmallFFT won't crash the core then Blend definitely won't do it because it's easier on the core.
And if Blend is failing because of unstable ram then the speed of the ram should make some difference but it doesn't.

That's why this is all really confusing, when I started this I set cache and ram to stock speeds with manual voltage.
Then I plugged in 48x on the core and set 1.3 iirc and stressed the core using SmallFFT for a couple hours, no issues, no errors.
Then I enabled XMP and ran Blend to make sure it would work at 4.8ghz...crash.
Set ram back to 1333 and ran blend...crash. It just doesn't make sense.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 03:07 PM
あほか щ(゜ロ゜щ)
neurotix is on a distinguished road neurotix is on a distinguished road neurotix is on a distinguished road

Hey all, I joined this club a super. long. time ago now.

My Haswell is still ticking and still seems more than sufficient to feed my 1080tis in nearly every game I play.

I run mine on a Maximus VI Hero with the last bios for it.

It's a SiliconLottery binned delid and tested stable up until 4.8GHz. It takes 1.33v for stability at 4.8GHz, though SL claimed it only needed 1.30v and no other changes. It also needs 1.9v input voltage. A lot of the time to save on heat, I run it at 4.5GHz w/ 1.175v. I recently cleaned my radiator and redid my thermal paste (still using Prolimatech PK-3 Nano- it's similar to MX-4) and under full load in x264 the cores settled at 35c and socket around 52c.

Anyone here tried Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Haswell under DX11? EVGA Precision X reports that my cards are only loaded around 75%. I can't use DX12 as I am a Win7 holdout. But so far, it is the only game I have encountered that my CPU can't seem to keep up with and run at a constant 60fps @ 5760x1080. It generally keeps good framerates in action areas but in the big Aztec style city I get big framerate drops, especially if looking down the side of the mountain because of the ridiculous draw distances.

It isn't a big deal because my wife plays it and I don't have much interest in it but I thought I'd ask other Haswell owners how that game runs on their setups. Thanks.

My console collection:
Spoiler!

Want to play some games? Gaming since '88
[Official] OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club
Big Red
(29 items)
Big Blue?
(14 items)
CPU
i7 4790k SiliconLottery 4.8GHz delidded
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero bios 1603 microcode 23
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 2012/5760MHz
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 2012/5760MHz
RAM
G.SKILL TridentX DDR3 2600MHz 10-12-12-31
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 256GB
Hard Drive
WD Black 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 4TB
Optical Drive
Lite-On DVD-RW
Power Supply
COOLERMASTER V1000
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2 (plastidipped red tubing)
Cooling
2x Corsair SP120 HP Red LED radiator, 1x Corsair SP140 HP Red LED rear, Thermaltake 140mm front
Cooling
Prolimatech PK-3 Nano 30g tube
Case
Corsair 780T w/ custom red paint
Operating System
Win7 x64 SP2
Operating System
Debian-based Linux distribution
Monitor
3x ASUS V239 23" 1080p IPS Surround, 60Hz
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 RGB PKT MX Reds
Keyboard
OCN Ducky DK1008 MX Blues
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Lux red led/MX Reds
Mouse
Redragon Centrophorus
Mousepad
Corsair Polaris RGB
Audio
Logitech G230 red
Audio
Old beat-up Logitech Z2300 2.1 200w 8" sub
Other
Logisys red LED "Meteor Light"
Other
Custom acrylic PSU shroud "Big Red" (black w/ red led logo, v1tech)
Other
Custom acrylic drive cage shroud "[email protected]" (black w/ red logo. Clockwerkindustries)
Other
4x PCI-E 8 pin black/red sleeved cable extensions, 1x 24 pin black/red sleeved cable extensions
Other
Case badges Frozencpu "Intel i7", "Republic of Gamers", "EVGA"
CPU
i5-7600k 4.7ghz 1.26v
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Z270H Strix
GPU
Sapphire R9 380X Nitro 1200/1500mhz
RAM
G.skill Ripjaws4 DDR4-3000 CAS15
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 256gb
Power Supply
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Thermaltake Core V71
Operating System
Win10 Home
Monitor
2x ASUS V236H 1080p
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Lux Blue LED Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
Cooler Master
Mouse
Thermaltake GAMMA
CPU
HuC6280 7.16MHz
Motherboard
NEC
GPU
HuC6260 Video Color Encoder (slave of HuC6270A)
GPU
HuC6270A Video Display Contoller 64kB VRAM
RAM
8kB
Optical Drive
HuCard (38 pin removable EEPROM storage, size of a credit card)
Case
Core Grafx case, 5.5" x 5.5", smallest home console ever
Operating System
PC Engine BIOS
Monitor
24"flat CRT television, 60Hz, 256x239
Keyboard
PC Engine 2-button controller
Audio
Hu6280A 6-channel on CPU die
Other
Brand new Nichicon electrolytic capacitors
▲ hide details ▲

Old 02-02-2019, 09:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
Singularity48

Hey everyone, sorry if there's another thread this should go. I'm planning a "best possible on DDR3" build with a 4790k. I need input on mobo/ram choice, it's hard to find info on what would be considered the best mobo for OCing the 4790k and pushing memory OC, and for the ram I want 16GB of the highest binned kit I can find, not sure how the chip's IMC handles 2x8GB vs 4x4GB but 4x4 kits seem to come rated with better freq/timings. CPU/RAM/mobo are likely going to be bought used.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rh8CWD < What I've thought of so far. The only part I actually have right now is the GPU from an old build. Appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 10:35 PM
Kill Confirmed
speed_demon Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Singularity48 View Post
Hey everyone, sorry if there's another thread this should go. I'm planning a "best possible on DDR3" build with a 4790k. I need input on mobo/ram choice, it's hard to find info on what would be considered the best mobo for OCing the 4790k and pushing memory OC, and for the ram I want 16GB of the highest binned kit I can find, not sure how the chip's IMC handles 2x8GB vs 4x4GB but 4x4 kits seem to come rated with better freq/timings. CPU/RAM/mobo are likely going to be bought used.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rh8CWD < What I've thought of so far. The only part I actually have right now is the GPU from an old build. Appreciate any help! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Looks good but the crucial SSD is not a great price for a low performing unit. You can find much better deals elsewhere.

Also I'll add in that I found the MSI Z87-G55 mobo to be quite good for OC'ing haswell/devil's canyon. Had a G3258 running @ 4.9 for 2 years and a 4970K @ 4.8 for another 18 months. Not a single hiccup or issue in over 3 years of demanding daily usage.

I'm sure others will chime in and give you a clearer picture as well.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:45 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

2133 isn't the highest bin unless it's really tight timings. I just bought a used set of 2400mhz cas 11 16gb G.Skill for $100 iirc.
Similar kits are fairly common here on the marketplace.
Look at the higher end boards QVL and find the one that runs a wider range of fast ram. The CPU's IMC plays a role as well.

I think everyone made a good z97 board TBH, just look at the high end. The difference between high end boards isn't going to be very large on air or water cooling.

EDIT:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/1468...gb-2400-a.html

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 02-02-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 PM
New to Overclock.net
Singularity48

Seems these are my choices for well binned ram:

2133 8-10-10-27
2400 9-11-11-31
2666 10-12-12-31
all at 1.65v

Timings seem to loosen quite a bit at 2800+, lowest timings I could find at 2800 were 11-14-14-35.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

The actual performance difference between all of them would be small, I'd check the QVL of a motherboard you like before picking a kit.
Crucial seems to think that high CAS is ok since the speed is climbing so as long as the timings aren't super loose I'd think faster is still the way to go.
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memor...-speed-latency

Without a benchmark of each kit on the same platform it's hard to say.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Old 02-03-2019, 01:50 AM
New to Overclock.net
Singularity48

Found this article from derbauer https://overclocking.guide/ddr3-ram-myths-enlightened/

Ranks play a bigger role than I thought they would, so I guess 2x8GB 2400c10 is the best specs overall, easier on the IMC and performs better clock for clock compared to single rank dimms in CPU bottlenecked programs. I'll likely end up getting some Asus z97 or maybe the Maximus VI, those boards seem to dominate the top 10 on userbenchmarks for the 4790k.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:09 PM
New to Overclock.net
Loladinas Level 1

So it's been a few years since DC has been out, has anyone ever compiled the max. long term safe voltages for it yet? I've started toying around with watercooling, running the CPU bare die and the temps don't seem to be a limiting factor anymore. Curious as to what's the upper end of safeish voltage to run a 24/7 overclock.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Are you sure about that?
TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post
So it's been a few years since DC has been out, has anyone ever compiled the max. long term safe voltages for it yet? I've started toying around with watercooling, running the CPU bare die and the temps don't seem to be a limiting factor anymore. Curious as to what's the upper end of safeish voltage to run a 24/7 overclock.
If temps aren’t a concern I see no harm in giving it 1.4-1.45v under water + bare die.

"In Yorkfield, crossing the Ivy Bridge to get over Coffee Lake, while Ryzen to the challenge with my Broadwell."
Mars (My Rig)
(14 items)
Pluto
(15 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-5775C 4.4GHz (1.4v)
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-E/USB 3.1 (LGA 1150)
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked 2.1GHz boost (sometimes) 2.08GHz most of the time.
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2 x 8GB (16GB) 2000MHz 10-12-10-29
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850 850W 80+ Gold Efficiency
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Corsair Carbide Clear 400C
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42” HDTV (Temporary)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy (RGB Illuminated)
Mouse
Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
CPU
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650 4GHz
Motherboard
EVGA nForce 790i SLI Ultra (132-CK-NF79)
GPU
MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G Hybrid
RAM
Patriot Signature DDR3 2 x 4GB (8GB) 1333MHz CL9
Hard Drive
Kingston A400 2.5" SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5-Inch 512GB SATA III SSD
Power Supply
Thermaltake White 80+
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Case
A cardboard box, I'm serious its in a cardboard box, running at the moment.
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy RGB
Mouse
Logitec M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4
GPU
MSI R9 380 Core: 1110MHz, GDDR5: 1500MHz
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz CL16 2 x 8GB (16GB)
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD
Hard Drive
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Optical Drive
ASUS CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
Cooling
Wraith Spire AM4 Cooler
Case
DEEPCOOL ATX Case Kendomen TI
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung 24" 1080p curved
Keyboard
Standard Dell wired keyboard from the early 2000's
Mouse
Logitech Standard Wired Mouse
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in