Xeon E5450 Problems. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Xeon E5450 Problems.

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and kinda new to PC building however I have always dabbled in the subject so am fairly clued up. I have been browsing this forum over the past few weeks for all the useful information it can provide and decided this is probably the place to ask about the issues I've come across!

To start with, I recently got into a bit of PC gaming on a "gaming" laptop I bought and have to say I much prefer it to console gaming (long time console gamer here) so I decided to try step it up a notch and build a PC for gaming to take some stress off the laptop. Plus a friend of mine is currently building a gaming rig for himself and I wanted to try match the performance for less than half the price (it's just what I do).

Anyway I aquired my parents old and slow HP desktop to see what I could do with it. First I stripped it down and removed all the fluff/dust from the board, heatsinks, bloody everywhere! Suddenly it wasn't so slow anymore, I did decid the old pentium wasn't going to do the job though and needed to come out and be replaced with something a bit beefier. After a long time researching online, I came to the conclusion that I could infact modify and fit a socket 771 Xeon E5450 to my domestic HP pavilion home PC. So I did. I bought a used but working condition CPU off ebay for a total of £30 (lol) along with a mod sticker which I fitted succesfully and modified the socket to fit the processor (I'm assuming I did this succesfully). Now this is where my problems began, the computer boots succesfully and I can see the processor model in the bios, however, occasionally it will hang or freeze on the 'starting windows' screen. It does occasionally start after some waiting, it has automatically installed the E5450 drivers (4 of em) and does run. However it is quite laggy and for some reason, it either utilises around ~70% of 2 cores and ~5% of the other 2 of vice versa (practically mirroring itself).

I did remove the E5450 and replace my e5300 (pentium crap) back in the board to test I hadn't damaged any pins, it booted up and ran exactly as it did before. So the Xeon is back in and the BIOS has been reset once again.

I'm currently attempting to update the bios to see if that resolves the problem, you never know..

Standard specification:
HP Pavilion P6203uk
Pegatron IPMEL-AE motherboard (G41 chipset)
Pentium E5300
2x 2gb DDR3 (667mhz) 4GB total.
320gb WD HDD 7200rpm
300W PSU

Now I do know the motherboard supports the Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield) CPUs which have the same architecture as the Xeon I'm using so I see no reason as to why it isn't functioning properly. The E5450 has the same frequency, fsb and even a lower TDP than a q9650 (which was an option).

Bare in mind I do have a corsair 600W semi modular PSU arriving today aswell as an arctic freezer 13 cpu cooler and a sapphire hd6950 which will all be fitted today at work if all goes to plan. I will be upgrading to 2x 4gb 1333/1600mhz DDR3 RAM at some point in future, maybe sooner if it's the issue.

I am a service engineer and very detirmined so please try not to make suggestions like "get a new motherboard and an i7" because you will just be ignored. If I can't get it working, I'll just overclock the crap out of the pentium and upgrade the CPU/mobo in the future to something actually suited to each other. This build is about performance per £ not performance flat out and I'm not scared to get stuck in and try make something work.

So, any ideas? Could it be the fact the RAM is a much lower frequency (667mhz vs 1333mhz, I wouldn't have thought so), maybe the processor isn't drawing enough voltage, does the bios need updating/modifying or could the processor itself be faulty? I do believe I'm the first to attempt a Xeon on a Pegatron domestic PC mobo but theoretically it should work so I want to make it work.

Any help and questions will be eagerly awaited and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

This first image was taken yesterday. Note the high CPU usage on the second 2 cores.

This second image was taken today while at work (hence the resolution). I really should've tried to get an image of the other 2 cores during high usage but you get the idea. CPU temps don't seem ridiculous, voltages seem a tad high? to me considering it's a 0.85-1.35V rated processor. Could just be HWMonitor?

As you can see from the pictures, the mobo does recognise the processor and the fact it's a quad core. So what could be the problem?

I was hoping to be able to get some games going when I get home later, hopefully it can be resolved before then!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Bump.

If this is in the wrong section, please advise me or a moderator so it could be moved to the correct section.

PC is currently back up and running on the Pentium E5300 with the new PSU, GPU and CPU Cooler in. Tried updating my chipset but HP isn't allowing anything but their own latest release, which I already have. Any tips how to get around that?

I've spoken to colleagues and they think it could be something to do with the copy of Windows 7 I'm running. It was installed on a dual core cpu and i've heard of problems when upgrading to a quad core cpu while still using previous OS. Could a fresh installation help? Although this may be difficult as it tends to freeze on the 'starting windows' screen every time now.

I'm going to attempt a few more things later on and see if I can work this out. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

did thiso ever get fixed if i may ask

facing a similar issue with a x5450 on a g41m p33 board
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 11:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hi,

Do you disable C-state, C0, C1 ...and C1E in the BIOS?

You still need to modify registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm

Put START value to 4 instead of 3

Regards,
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 11:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
And also first a full BIOS Clear CMOS (removing battery)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjErase View Post

Hi,

Do you disable C-state, C0, C1 ...and C1E in the BIOS?

You still need to modify registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm

Put START value to 4 instead of 3

Regards,

is this relevant on the question at hand tho?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

conitunig on this:

changing the entry does work but on my end it creates a new issue

the cpu gets hot, after some time under load, ot the point where performance degreades massively, tho one immediately thinks that its insuficient cooling, the issue is that its not the actual cpu that is getting hot, its the northbridge(msi g41m-p33 combo) and one of those 2 points is degreading the prformance of the system when underl oad for olonger perioids of time

i'm at my wits end here
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm afraid to say I got fed up trying to get it working and ended up replacing the standard HP board with some cheapo Foxconn board and that did the trick. Can't remember any of the specs on it but I do believe it was the same chipset as the board you're using.

I'm pretty certain there's a thread on this forum with a Xeon CPU/Mobo compatibility list. Might be worth checking out if you can find it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hey All!
i'm in the same boat as op, I have the exact same hp slimline computer and wanted to do the exact same cpu upgrade aswell.
After reading this thread, I've decided to go for one that I know works (q9400) so thanks for saving me the trouble!

Still I really think this pc would benifit from more ram!
with the currently installed 4GB I use 100% just using firefox.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c01925513:
"Supports 2 GB DDR3 DIMMs (1 GB DIMM modules are also supported)
Supports up to 4 GB on 64-bit PCs
32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
Maximum memory only if using 2GB DDR3 DIMM modules."

HP states max 4GB but I'm really curious if any of you guys tried any more ram than that?
I'd love to put 2 x 4gb sticks of 1333 ram in here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in