Intel Pentium G3258 Performance and Owners Club NOW with GTX 970 - Page 457 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Intel Pentium G3258 Performance and Owners Club NOW with GTX 970

post #4561 of 4590 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Crayon Evangelist

Rep: 469 (Unique: 321)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendjo View Post

hi!

need advice on MoBo for g3258;
I have choice between ASUS H81M-R, GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2V and ASROCK H81M-DGS R2.0..
what would you choose? main thing is that is good for OCing g3258..

Honestly all of those boards have really low phase count, I would be wary overclocking on any of them all that much past stock. If you want a good overclocking board, you may want to look at the MSI z97 PC Mate, which often goes on sale in combo with the G3258 for $99.00 together.

Warning :Opinion based on anecdotal evidence from looking at pictures of the 3 boards side by side:

I like the overall layout of the ASRock board.

There are 3 VRMs ICs per choke compared to others, which doesn't mean more phases, just that there not cramming 2 phases on a single IC, which in turn means less heat density for the ASRock...which could then turn into higher overclocks. The 4 pin and SATA ports are also placed in the most intelligent places on the ASRock board.

One other thing to consider: The PCIE express slot on the ASRock board is closer to the CPU, which may prohibit oversized CPU coolers, or backplates on the GPU, but at the same does open up options for several panel connections. It also places the southbridge underneath the GPUs VRM area, meaning the southbridge will get some airflow that it otherwise would not get.

The ASRock would be my pick, followed by the Giga, then the ASUS. Just be sure to check your GPU and CPU cooler. Again: Oversized CPU coolers or GPUs with backplates may cause issues. If you go with Giga or ASUS, make sure you plug in all of your panel sensors and buttons before your GPU, and double check your PSUs 4 pin length.

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Computex 2018: 'Ladies and Gentleman, people of all chromatic sensibilities and lighting clownery, we are proud to present the aaarrrrgggeeebeeee Circus Maximus!'
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
I was initially interested in Fallout 76, but my enthusiasm was nuked.
Quote: Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
If I lob a grenade and die and respawn before it exploded does it still explode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4590 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 03:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
You will get alot better mobo for 15 coins more.
post #4563 of 4590 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 12:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi all, is the GA-H97M-HD3 a good choice in order to oc the G3258? I need 6xSATA3 in a matx board and this motherboard is perfect for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4564 of 4590 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 01:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0k0 View Post

Hi all, is the GA-H97M-HD3 a good choice in order to oc the G3258? I need 6xSATA3 in a matx board and this motherboard is perfect for this.

I searched for, 1150 socket, m-atx, 4 mem-slots, 32gb mem or more, eufi, dual, 6x sata, hdmi, below 100 euro's which gave the three options below:

98 euro's --> Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H ( 4 memslots, 32GB, Realtek ALC892, 2x pci, AMD Crossfire )
93 euro's --> Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H ( 4 memslots, 32GB, Realtek ALC887, 1x pci, - )
78 euro's --> Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H ( 4 memslots, 32GB, Realtek ALC892, 2x pci, AMD Crossfire )

74 euro's -->Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 ( 2 memslots, 16GB, Realtek ALC887, 1x pci, - )

I think the D3H could be the most optimal pick if it has the biosversion (i have read on tomshardware it is the F3 version or higher) that can overclock, ask the seller about that. It grants the option for expanding your memory to 32gb and the crossfire possibility is always nice if you ever come across 2 cheap amd gpu's, the price is only 4 euro's higher then your model. Imho the difference between alc 892 and 887 chips is minimal so do not focus on that. I favor 4 memslots and minimal 32GB always, because if you ever need to use programs that make use of a swap-file or drive, that extra 16GB really makes a difference in performance i have noticed.

Good luck.
post #4565 of 4590 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

I have a G3258 which I am planning a build for. I have two questions:

A) Will an ASRock Z97M OC Formula be the best choice for overclocking?
B) What would be the best GC to pair with my proc?

Do share your suggestions, thank you!
post #4566 of 4590 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by menj View Post

Best? No, probably not. Certainly adequate for whatever you're likely to pull out of the chip, though. As for GPUs, I would probably recommend something mid-range, about in line with a 960 or 670/760. While it's certainly capable of utilizing a stronger GPU in certain games, I don't think the extra cost is worth it for general use. If you've already got something more powerful than a mid-range card (like a 770 or 680), just pair it with that and don't worry about buying a new GPU.

Quote:
"Roses are red, violets are blue. They don't think it be like it is, but it do."
"What I've done so far is pour alcohol on things - it helps people, so I figured it would be the same for keyboards."

Clubs (Click to show)
Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=101432
post #4567 of 4590 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Quote:

! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Motherboard should be fine. Getting a good overclock is more down to luck of the chip draw than the motherboard (I'm running 4.8GHz on a B85i - I got lucky!)

For GPU I went from a 270x to a 390 and the Pentium can definitely use the extra power (though for the price the 270x gave excellent performance). I would suggest you give serious consideration to waiting for the new RX480 which I think is released end of June, in theory it will be around 980 performance for $200. Or see if that pushes prices of the R9 380 down. Prices of second hand cards such as the 970 are also likely to drop so could be an option.

Enjoy!

post #4568 of 4590 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 16)
Quote:

The Z97 OC Formula would be huge overkill if you are just planning a basic light gaming rig. If you plan to overclock your G3258 to hell and back and throw some liquid cooling at it then the OC Formula will do nicely, it is designed from the ground up for overclocking. The problem is, while the OC Formula may allow you to eek a little more out of your CPU over another less overclocking oriented board it isn't going to guarantee a high overclock, if your CPU tops out at say 4.3 on a lesser board you may get 4.4 out of the OCF (for example). So ultimately the question is, is the extra (maybe) 100mhz worth the sizable price hike from something like the Z97 Extreme3 (which is what I have my G3258 paired with) or even cheaper, the Z97 Anniversary. I have some experience with both the Z97 Extreme3 and the Z97 Anniversary and the difference was about 100mhz in favor of the Extreme3 likely due to it's better power design.

Now if you are just looking for a board that will allow you to overclock you could go way cheaper and get an H81 or B85 chipset board, just be sure it supports non-Z overclocking. You will likely not be able to eek every last mhz out of the G3258 on a budget board but most are able to get >4.0ghz with some lucky individuals even getting as high as 4.8ghz if they lucked out on the silicon lottery. Sadly my CPU turned out to be mediocre at best, topping out at 4.6ghz with a 1.45v Vcore (too high for my liking) so I settled at 4.3ghz with a 1.28v vcore.

As for GPU, you are wasting your time with anything more powerful than an R9 280/380 or GTX 960, the G3258 overclocked to even >4.5ghz just can't cope with anything faster, sure you will see some nice high framerates but you will be stuttering hard on current AAA titles. If the G3258 is an interim CPU that you plan to replace at some future date then by all means go big on the GPU. I agree with Bicheal about waiting on the RX480, it will probably be the best price/performance money can buy when it hits.

By the tone of your post I am guessing you want to overclock the [email protected] out of the system and have some fun with it so if that is the case the OC Formula will give you more control and better regulated power delivery to really push your CPU. The OC formula also has some neat features that will allow you to get CPUz validations even at frequencies that generally would not allow windows to successfully load (low frequency button). If you are building a toy to play with then you made a good choice.
post #4569 of 4590 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Be sure to get a Z board. I have the H81 and the newest bios do not support overclocking. (Something about an intell lawsuit) I use an older bios and a gtx950.

post #4570 of 4590 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

This isn't true. I bought MSI H81m-p33 last week with the Latest Bios and i manage to overclock till 4,2 GHz atm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in