Suggested 4790k Voltage at 4.7 ghz - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Suggested 4790k Voltage at 4.7 ghz

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
I have it overclocked now at 1.25v @ 4.7 Ghz

What do you think, is that a safe voltage for everyday use?

Ran Prime95 for a while, no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 03:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLifted View Post

I have it overclocked now at 1.25v @ 4.7 Ghz

What do you think, is that a safe voltage for everyday use?

Ran Prime95 for a while, no issues.

1.25 Vcore is ok for everyday use

Besides, the CPU is not 100% loaded all the time smile.gif

Have you tried x264 Stability Test v2 in checking the stability of your overclock ?
https://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I wanted to necro this old thread to update what I have found over the years, I realized that running it at 1.265 for 4.7 ghz was NOT enough, as soon as I ran higher cpu applications it would lock up. The more I tried going to 4.8, the more I hit the wall with it.

To the point where 1.34 volts was not even enough for a stable clock. Some chips are just at the ceiling, and you can't do much about it, unless you push it even further, thus decreasing cooling capability, and creating further instability at higher heat points, also I noticed chip became more unstable as it stayed at 4.8 ghz.

So it's about find a sweetspot of working frequency and good thermals where you don't run into instability due to heat as well

For me it's back to 4.7 ghz

Last edited by XLifted; 02-14-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 121 (Unique: 93)
Turning off HT on a 4790k turns it into a 4690k, since i literally just upgraded from my i5 I can tell you there is an enormous performance advantage with HT on. There isn't even a comparison.

The voltage required varies a lot on these CPUs no only becasue of the silicon lottery but also becasue of thermals. I know my CPU will do 4.7 with much less than my current vcore but becasue my cooler sucks ass I'm stuck with 1.32v. Cooling it better would bring it down to around 1.28ish but I haven't been able to justify buying the cooler just yet.

Safe voltage is over 1.45v BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN COOL IT! Feel free to use any vcore you want to stabilize, you'll be thermally limited before vcore is an issue.
FYI I ran my 4690k for most of it's life at 1.32v and experienced no degradation, not sure why anyone would say 1.35v is unsafe lol. If you check the Devil's Canyon Owner's Club you'll get a lot of help from people like myself still using them.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...ners-club.html

FYI cooling these chips helps in a big way. Once you start hitting 80c you'll find it harder and harder to stabilize, luckily if you know how to stress with P95 these are very easy to keep cool.
Read this guide even if you know everything about overclocking already:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tatistics.html
It's a long read but reading it and fully understanding the material will save you a ton of time plugging at various voltages.

OMG you necro'd this thing from 2015!

Since you're delidding you'll likely get 4.8 stable easily.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'll join into the Necro'ing.

Back when this thread was created, the chips were still new & on a new-ish structure. The 1.3v was/is actually derived from deep, deep, deep within the specification/data sheet from Intel. 1.3v is the highest vcore that Intel's "official" specs would allow.

Personally, after getting better cooling, I was eventually able to run my chip at [email protected], OR [email protected] with HT turned off.

In the end, however, I actually ended up UNDERCLOCKING my chip...I simply didn't, and still don't, have any games that the CPU bottlenecks. For daily use I actually run mine at [email protected] lol. I'll turn it back to 4.8 if in doing any heavy video editing, but other than that I never even notice the difference between 4.0 & 4.8 (but there is an enormous difference in fan noise)

My girlfriend got the same chip a while after me, and I could never get her chip stable at 4.7 - the silicon lottery was not good to her.

I definitely agree that temperatures are a far greater threat than voltage with these chips...although I don't think I'd personally push it over 1.4v unless I was prepared to upgrade my system lol.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by jordan1794 View Post
I'll join into the Necro'ing.

Back when this thread was created, the chips were still new & on a new-ish structure. The 1.3v was/is actually derived from deep, deep, deep within the specification/data sheet from Intel. 1.3v is the highest vcore that Intel's "official" specs would allow.

Personally, after getting better cooling, I was eventually able to run my chip at [email protected], OR [email protected] with HT turned off.

In the end, however, I actually ended up UNDERCLOCKING my chip...I simply didn't, and still don't, have any games that the CPU bottlenecks. For daily use I actually run mine at [email protected] lol. I'll turn it back to 4.8 if in doing any heavy video editing, but other than that I never even notice the difference between 4.0 & 4.8 (but there is an enormous difference in fan noise)

My girlfriend got the same chip a while after me, and I could never get her chip stable at 4.7 - the silicon lottery was not good to her.

I definitely agree that temperatures are a far greater threat than voltage with these chips...although I don't think I'd personally push it over 1.4v unless I was prepared to upgrade my system lol.
I agree.

I was reading an electrical engineer's post that knows the nature of these chips, and he absolutely rejected an idea of going above 1.3, because when die shrink has occurred, it reduced the capability from 1.4 volt max to 1.3 max

He said going above 1.3 volts will eventually erode the chip to instability.

You know...maybe, but I had a CPU for 4 years now, will I have this CPU in another 4 years? Probably not, but so far it has been impressive chip, and it does NOT bottleneck GTX 1070ti in any way, in comparison to AMD chips I had in the past.

Also, new Intel's CPUs allow for even more FPS in games, and it shows architecture of Intel is going up everytime. Where even Coffee Lake beats out i7 4790k Haswel when it comes to FPS in games.

I will always go for Intel (because of longevity of Intel chips), but who knows what AMD can deliver in the future.

BUT...4790k beats out Ryzen 7 2700 in gaming still, and 4790k came out in June 2014

Can you understand the difference everyone? Intel is Intel, and Nvidia is Nvidia, even though Nvidia is almost twice as greedy.

I stand by Intel's quality. Would I switch to AMD in the future back again? Maybe, but if it's not broke don't fix it.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Been in the DC owners club for a long time. 1.4v isn't even risky if you have a loop, too many people did it without issue.
14nm has lower power requirements than 22nm but somehow also can take more voltage? The did use taller gates but if you scaled it up to 22nm they would have similar gate height. Intel recommends up to 1.5v for Coffee Lake as long as you can cool it. I ran over 1.42...It's in my sig...to hit 5ghz for a few months. Still no degradation after that or years of 1.32+. Garbage cooler lol.

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Been in the DC owners club for a long time. 1.4v isn't even risky if you have a loop, too many people did it without issue.
14nm has lower power requirements than 22nm but somehow also can take more voltage? The did use taller gates but if you scaled it up to 22nm they would have similar gate height. Intel recommends up to 1.5v for Coffee Lake as long as you can cool it. I ran over 1.42...It's in my sig...to hit 5ghz for a few months. Still no degradation after that or years of 1.32+. Garbage cooler lol.
Yeah, I saw tons of people on youtube that build systems, like Yes City running this chip above 1.3, as high as 1.379 to achieve 4.6...so yeaaaaah lol

I think so.

I can't hit 4.8 stable, I tried. Maybe after I turned off hypethreading, and scalping with Liquid Metal, but for now it's 4.7
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

And you're delidded with LM right? What are your thermals like?
Are your cache and ram running at stock speeds with manual voltage? Have you given it more input voltage (0.5v over vcore)? Doi you bypass the current limits on the board? Are you using P95 26.6?
Sorry if I asked all this already, I type something similar fairly often lol.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm not the user you responded to, but I'd like to chime in - the thermal response of these chips are also absolutely bonkers in difference from chip to chip.

I'm running an AIO water cooler, and when I do 4.9 @ 1.325v I'll hit 82 C on my hottest core. I (think) I've attached a photo of my results of the lowest stable frequency/voltage combinations.
The interesting thing to note is that my girlfriend's rig has the same CPU, cooler, case, everything (except GPU) - but her 4790k starts hitting 80+ C when she runs 4.6 @ 1.225.

Both of our chips are stock - no delidding. Makes me wonder what my chip could do delidded...I'm pretty sure my instability above 4.9 is due to temeprature. Chip may eek out a 5.0 on all 8 threads, or 5.1 with HT off.
Alas, I'm not brave enough to delid...yet. Just got a promotion at work though so my bravery may increase when I have more money lol.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in