Suggested 4790k Voltage at 4.7 ghz - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Suggested 4790k Voltage at 4.7 ghz

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
Свет

Rep: 37 (Unique: 36)
Quote: Originally Posted by jordan1794 View Post
I'm not the user you responded to, but I'd like to chime in - the thermal response of these chips are also absolutely bonkers in difference from chip to chip.

I'm running an AIO water cooler, and when I do 4.9 @ 1.325v I'll hit 82 C on my hottest core. I (think) I've attached a photo of my results of the lowest stable frequency/voltage combinations.
The interesting thing to note is that my girlfriend's rig has the same CPU, cooler, case, everything (except GPU) - but her 4790k starts hitting 80+ C when she runs 4.6 @ 1.225.

Both of our chips are stock - no delidding. Makes me wonder what my chip could do delidded...I'm pretty sure my instability above 4.9 is due to temeprature. Chip may eek out a 5.0 on all 8 threads, or 5.1 with HT off.
Alas, I'm not brave enough to delid...yet. Just got a promotion at work though so my bravery may increase when I have more money lol.
Yeah, man! The voltage is all over the place from chip to chip. I saw people hitting 4.9 on 1.3 volts...so yeah...it's weird

I am scalping mine this week, here is some info if you would like some info and parts I bought myself after doing extensive research from Youtube to forums here and there

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...ive-paste.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Свет

Went back to 1.26 volts on air, and it's stable after running in Aida64 with Geminii S524 cooler (thermally and stability wise)

Looking forward to delidding, it will give a nice temp drop. I am not even sure I will go back to water now. Because temps look phenomenal for my set up

Never thought I will be debating between air and water again. I have H115i Pro coming in mail from Corsair, but now I don't know if I need it.

Going to check the sound of that pump, and see if it's silent, with no buzzing like H105/H100i

I can make this computer completely silent now, as I have fan controllers on the back of the case to reduce sound completely. I can hear my refrigerator more in the kitchen from my room, than PC in my room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.26v i7 4790k 4.7ghz  FULL Fan profiles + Geminii S524.png
Views:	8
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	254594  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.26v i7 4790k 4.7ghz  FULL Fan profiles + Geminii S524.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	564.1 KB
ID:	254596  

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by XLifted View Post
Went back to 1.26 volts on air, and it's stable after running in Aida64 with Geminii S524 cooler (thermally and stability wise)

Looking forward to delidding, it will give a nice temp drop. I am not even sure I will go back to water now. Because temps look phenomenal for my set up

Never thought I will be debating between air and water again. I have H115i Pro coming in mail from Corsair, but now I don't know if I need it.

Going to check the sound of that pump, and see if it's silent, with no buzzing like H105/H100i

I can make this computer completely silent now, as I have fan controllers on the back of the case to reduce sound completely. I can hear my refrigerator more in the kitchen from my room, than PC in my room.

Interesting, what is your clock speed at 1.26 volts?

I have a vintage Noctua NH-D14, and I'm close to 84c on my hottest core when running Prime95 at 1.240v 4.6GHz. Is kind of hot these days around here though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
Свет

Quote: Originally Posted by Avan7 View Post
Interesting, what is your clock speed at 1.26 volts?

I have a vintage Noctua NH-D14, and I'm close to 84c on my hottest core when running Prime95 at 1.240v 4.6GHz. Is kind of hot these days around here though.
I had mine at 4.7, before I sold my CPU

1.24 and 84 celcius? Your case must NOT be well ventilated, that's rather high, especially with NH-D14, I had Geminii S524 on my CPU and it's supposed to be 1.5 steps down from NH-D14.

Strange.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 173 (Unique: 146)
Are u Свет from the MSI Forums?

RigOnTheRun
(6 items)
CPU
7700HQ @ Liquid metal
GPU
GTX 1070 8GB @1850mhz (2250mhz Boost!)
RAM
32 GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
1 TB Samsung 950 SSD
Operating System
Win10 x64, Cubes R4.0
Monitor
120hz FHD IPS-Tech
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Свет

Quote: Originally Posted by smex View Post
No

Свет is Light in Russian
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by XLifted View Post
I had mine at 4.7, before I sold my CPU

1.24 and 84 celcius? Your case must NOT be well ventilated, that's rather high, especially with NH-D14, I had Geminii S524 on my CPU and it's supposed to be 1.5 steps down from NH-D14.

Strange.
That's actually not uncommon for a stock chip. Before I delidded mine I couldn't use more than 1.25v or one core would be in the high 90s under load. That one core would be about 15c higher than the others, as time goes on the factory TIM tends to get worse.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
Свет

Quote: Originally Posted by smex View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
That's actually not uncommon for a stock chip. Before I delidded mine I couldn't use more than 1.25v or one core would be in the high 90s under load. That one core would be about 15c higher than the others, as time goes on the factory TIM tends to get worse.

I realize how blessed I am, and was with those CPU chips even. I had mine running at 1.225 at 4.7 for a 2 years, then when I ran prime 95 I realized I wasn't fully stable, and even at that I wasn't at that high temp category, but I delided right after. The chip is in right hands now, with copper plate on it, and liquid metal.

Someone else is happy, and I am happy for them.

I am returning i7 9700k that can't even stay stable at 1.3v at 4.7 ghz, now that's an opposite side of the spectrum. It needs around 1.32-1.35v for 4.7....imagine that!
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 56)
Vcore 1.352v/1.325v with default vdroop for stability and if your lazy You can go lower as OP's suggested
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Oh right! Well I might eventually delid my CPU, thing is... I get distracted sometimes. When I was first building my PC I somehow managed to insert the 12V cable into the motherboard in the wrong way... Good thing nothing fried up! Afterwards I updgraded my motherboard and I inserted the I/O shield in the wrong way... Had to remove everything and start a new.

It has been fun though! And I have learned a lot, thank God I haven't broke anything. I have heard of delidding kits so yeah, a 10-15c temperature drop would be worth it.

As for the OP, I think you had a very good chip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in