Skylake Delid with a Razor Blade: Slices through like butter--safe like a Car Seat! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: What is the best way to Delid a Skylake CPU?
Vice and Hammer. 2 12.50%
Scrappers, utility blades, break-off blades. 2 12.50%
The Doube Edge razor balde, that your Daddy used to shave with> 12 75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Skylake Delid with a Razor Blade: Slices through like butter--safe like a Car Seat!

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
I had heard a lot about vice and hammer method vs cutting of the IHS with a blade. Since I did not have my own Skylake I could not say one way or the other.

The Vice and Hammer method seemed to work all right. However, it is brute force, and induce stresses in PCB layers, including indenting etc.

The blades people were using were mostly of the utility blade type, either scrapping blades, break off blades, or utility blades. So there was a lot of emphasis on being extraordinarily careful, some people reported that they had indeed scraped the PCB.

When I was a young man, I used to use "Gillette", "Wilkinson Sword", "Schick" and other double sided shaving blades (Schick used to have a cool single sided Injector blade, but I digress). The only double edged shaving blades I could find at my local Walgreen's, were, "Studio 35 Men's Double Edge Blades", in a pack of 10 for about 10 bucks.

I broke one into two halves (length wise), used one to remove two skin tags on my necks (to see it it was sharp enough: also performing minor surgeries at home saves you a ton and keeps things real biggrin.gif).

Last night I used the other half, wrapped the non cutting edge in electrical tape, make sure to leave 3 mm of cutting edge unwrapped. I looped it the electrical tape two times. After that I trimmed off a bit of excess tape which is bound to hang off on the non-cutting edge with a pair of scissors. This was done to prevent cuts to my hand and stop the blade from gently reminding you that you are going in too deep,

Following the instructions, I slid the blade edge under the edges, rocked it back and forth. It took me less than two minutes to cut the the IHS seal off. The razor cut through the seal like butter.

I am not as dexterous as I used to be, my eyesight it not what it used to be, my hands are not as steady as they used to be: so if an old decrepit can do it this cleanly without any problems. I think anyone can. I also think, that in the light of ease and not even a possibility of damage (I was not angling this way or the other--in other words, I was not being careful at all), then I cannot see what would motivate anyone to use the vice and hammer method.

If someone will like to see the pictures, I can post them.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

Nasir

biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 06:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnasir View Post

If someone will like to see the pictures, I can post them.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

Nasir

biggrin.gif

pictures !

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 154 (Unique: 132)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl6mk6 View Post

According to the Skylake Delided forum the vice method is not recommended as the PCB is thinner and more likely to damage in the process.

a lot of people have been using a modified vice technique, using just a vice, and not using a hammer.

I just delidded my 6700k this weekend with razor and thin plastic card. Use the razor to open a corner, and once u get in a few mm then switch to thin plastic card to separate. Hardest part was getting the initial razor in. Once in the rest was so easy.

I would do this again 100%, I would never use a vice after seeing the results of razor and thin plastic card. I think the card helps a lot in avoiding PCB scratches. temps went down 10-20 degrees during stresses, and at idle the cpu is barely above room temps.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 126 (Unique: 96)
Vice only.
I only have Haswell but the lid pushed off so easily...30 seconds tops. I'd try Skylake in a heartbeat.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by white owl View Post

Vice only.
I only have Haswell but the lid pushed off so easily...30 seconds tops. I'd try Skylake in a heartbeat.

My experience is only with Skylake. I did not have the pleasure of working with Haswell. So you might be absolutely right.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for your interest. I will take pictures and upload in a bit.

Sincerely,

Nasir
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 126 (Unique: 96)
I don't have the balls or steady hand to do it with a razor.
Ham-fisted, yo.
Really interested to see before and after temps. thumb.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here are some Photos of my handy work.
My Workbench. Notice is is just a unopened case box. No anti-static measures. biggrin.gif

Sincerely,

Nasir
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 537 (Unique: 329)
Quote:
so if an old decrepit can do it this cleanly without any problems. I think anyone can

Sure!

..oops i slipped

$450-500 bill to replace tongue.gif

^that's the problem, really. Skylake is really cool anyway~ At the moment i'm on air no delid, i have two profiles:

1; 1.375vcore, HT on 24/7. Maxes at ~65-68c.

2; 1.425vcore, HT off bench profile. Might need an extra 0.01v soon, maxes at ~61-63c.

so why risk the money? I am glad to see your success though thumb.gif

I don't believe in "good enough"~!!

240hz / gsync / low persistence is AWESOME

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in