4790k delid missing capacitor - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

4790k delid missing capacitor

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello guys,
Just wanted to briefly let you know how it all happened. I've delidded my cpu and was using it fine for about 10 months now. Then one day im on my pc and it shuts off for no reason. When i try to boot it, it wont and mobo says error 55. So of course i go ahead and play with my memory for idk how long. Then ive read on forums that reseating the cpu might fix it. When i pulled out my cpu i saw this

When you look at it on bottom one of the capacitors is missing.

So basically im in a very very deep hole now. Thinking back i dont think i did any damage to it when i delidded cause ive done it before and i was extra careful. I also checked the whole cpu before putting it back into socket. Now that i see it idk what to do. I do have some skills soldering but id need to find the exact capacitors intel uses on the cpu.

What would you guys recommend i do with it? Anyone knows what capacitors i could use? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 03:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Gonna bump this thread, since I don't know much on this sort of situation.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 05:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
I would check the pins with a picture with your cellphone and then magnify, sounds like a bent pin or hair in the pins. Sounds like that part that came off has been missing a while on your chip, and might not be the issue

ASUS Maximus XI Hero / Intel Coffee Lake 9900ks 5.1 GHz Unlidded 1.35v
G.SKILL 16GB Trident Z DDR4 4000 MHz 17-17-17-37
EVGA GeForce GTX 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA Hydro Copper GAMING
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB / Samsung 960 Pro 2TB
4 X Western Digital 10TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the reply. Im in the process of RMAing the motherboard. There actually was a one broken pin that needed to be fixed. However, now that ive seen this im not completely sure that it will work 100% without giving me an issue? Whats the worst that can happen when i use the CPU again? I just dont want to have any other pc component broken.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 04:19 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 173 (Unique: 156)
Worst that can happen? CPU doesn't work basically or the motherboard you got back from RMA is another faulty one. Or even both faulty.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
This happened to an 8800 GT of mine. Actually in 3 places. It would not start. So what I did was take a conductive ink pen and draw a line between the two contact points in each location and the card actually ran. These are resistors, not capacitors. Their job is to limit current going through the two contact points. I bet your CPU will work if you do this. Though no telling what could happen in the future. I wouldn't overclock/overvolt it under such scenario.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 35)
FYI, mine has been working just fine. I pulled the lid off to re apply tim and noticed the same thing you did. I suspect it came this way. Not sure. I'm missing the exact same one. How's your chip running?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 05:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

I am in the same shoe, i have 3 broken-off caps at the bottom right corner. I measured the caps, 2 pieces are 1uF and one piece is 23uF. I could order these caps from farnell or digikey, but i dont know which goes where? The soldering pads are in perfect condition and i have some high end soldering equipment since i work in hardware development.

I spent many hours googleing this info without success, i even made an ad on the local used hw market to find a faulty chip to salvage the caps (and measuere them ofc)

Do you have any idea where i can find this information?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 06:45 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
Where did you get the caps to measure them? You found them fallen off? In that case you can put them back only you don't know where they belong precisely since it's more than one being broken off.
You probably won't find it anywhere as I'm not sure how common it is to have both the delided CPU and a capacitor measurement device, maybe new expensive multimeters can do it but back in the day it was a big meter to do it.

Or you could try measuring those around, maybe there is a pattern. Or just YOLO attach them in some order and see if it works. Rinse and repeat until it does.

It could be that there was no protection against liquid metal and that will eat the solder away and parts will fall off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in